• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to take teenagers?

Hey folks,

I need a recommendation for a good eatery close to the fifth avenue theatre and quick. It has to be affordable and offer a good environment for a group of teenage girls.

I already gave my friend a recommendation for the Cheesecake Factory and browsing around the Pike Place Market, anything else?

TIA

"Live every moment as if your hair were on fire" Zen Proverb

Tulio is just a block away in the Hotel Vintage Park.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

How about Benihana? I think it's fun and I think teenagers who aren't afraid of Japanese food would get a kick out of it.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

You haven't hung out with many teenage girls, have you  :raz:

If 'teenage' means 13 or 14, no, but if it means 18 or 19, I spend every day surrounded by them... :wink:

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

If 'teenage' means 13 or 14, no, but if it means 18 or 19, I spend every day surrounded by them...  :wink:

Speaking as the parent of a 13.75 year old daughter, I can confirm there are light-years of difference between someone of that age and an 18-19 year old. I am gritting my teeth and waiting for the 18-19 year old range to arrive!

And I think that the Cheesecake Factory would be right on point for that demographic; lots of variety so every kid could probably find something they want.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

The new Johnny (sp?) Rockets on Pike, between 1st and 2nd?

There's also a Johnny Rockets in the Pacific Place mall, in an atmosphere that a group of teenage girls might find a little less "eeeww" than Pike & 1st. :smile:

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Thanks for the quick reply everyone! I knew I could count on my fellow egulleteers! My coworker is ecstatic about having these options!

:smile:

Edited by dougery (log)

"Live every moment as if your hair were on fire" Zen Proverb

dougery,

I'm curious to find out where your friend's teenagers went.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

• 1 month later...

My little sisters (who are ages 18, 16, and 12) all have a distinct lack of any real "culinary experiences". I became extremely frustrated at hearing "um... what's that?" when talking about various different foods (as in "Um... what's hummus?") last weekend when one of my sisters was over, so have decided to attempt to fix the problem. A lot of their meals come straight out of a box, and they seem to consider Safeway as a good source of Chinese food. :huh: I want to give them some good experiences, but I can't afford to spend much (not to mention that they wouldn't really feel comfortable anywhere that's high-priced).

I live on Capitol Hill and don't have a car, so it'd have to be somewhere accessible by walking or by bus. Since they come up to Seattle on a semi-regular basis (they live in Federal Way), we could try several different places over the next year or two.

Any suggestions?

Misa

Sweet Misa

Living on Capitol Hill you have a near endless selection. I guess it depends on what they want to eat. I would recommend Noodle Studio for Thai, Aoki for sushi/Japanese (or Hana if you are looking for really cheap), Bimbo's or Galleria's for Mexican.

I live on Capitol Hill and don't have a car, so it'd have to be somewhere accessible by walking or by bus. Since they come up to Seattle on a semi-regular basis (they live in Federal Way), we could try several different places over the next year or two.

I'd take them to Vios for a sandwich at lunch (soooo good), El Greco for weekend brunch or any of the Thai places on Broadway (I usually go to Siam, but have been to the others too and they're good). Under $10/person at any of these, and all make really good, tasty food.

My big food epiphany as a child came from being around my family, especially my brother (an excellent cook). If you're into cooking, maybe take them to a good market, buy some stuff and prepare it with them ?

- S

Ali Baba on 408 Broadway Ave E is inexpensive and good, and will answer the "Um, what's hummous?" question too!

If your sisters really dread the unknown, there is an option to order french fries with the food, so they can have a little bit of familiar to hold onto. :wink:

And if any of you like coffee, they've got good Turkish style coffee there as well served in those pour-yer-own brass side handled things.

Pat

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

I'm not a Seattle native, so I might be talking out of my hat (and I don't recall what the transport links are), but it seems to me that taking an early morning shopping expedition through the Pike Place Market in mid- or late summer, then spending the day cooking what you bought would be a valuable lesson on a number of different levels.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Sigh.....regarding kids.....I have found trying to get them to appreciate really good food is somewhat pointless. I have a 15 year old stepson that is into typical teenage things....soda,

pizza, french fries, sub sandwiches, nachos.....kid food. He has three parents who are gourmands and really good cooks....me, his father, and his mother (who used to own and operate a coffee house here in town). He doesn't want a thing to do with anything "exotic". He just wants a slice of cheese pizza. So instead of beating my head against the wall, I just try to make him the best cheese pizza possible. Even though I think I make a pretty mean pizza, he still would rather have the pizza from Dominos. I've stopped being offended. It's just a kid thing.

I remember when I was a kid, I didn't want anything really exotic either. If my parents took me to any kind of restaurant, all I wanted to order was the burger and fries. My favorite foods to this day actually. It was only when I got older....in my late 20's and 30's, did I realize that there had to be more to good food than burgers and fries, so I branched out....opened my mind to other flavors. Grew to appreciate them. My tastes matured......and I think that's how it works.....kids like kid food, and gradually their tastes mature....at their own rate.

Of course, I will say that if a child is exposed and is open to, a large variety of foods at a young

age, his tastes will be a little more on an adult level. My chef co-worker has two sons, 16 and 17, and they have been to Australia, Bali, Fiji, and Italy. She has cooked fresh wholesome food for them from day one, and now both of them are conscious vegetarians (although she isn't...they

came up with that on their own.) They are NOT your typical teenage eaters. I think a lot of it has to do with how you are raised. :smile:

Edited by chefpeon (log)

i recommend jamjuree on 15th for thai, and definitely second busboy's suggestion about shopping for ingredients (even the rainbow grocery has some interesting options and lovely produce) and then cooking at home. i also suggest taking a trip to a metropolitan market or whole foods if you have a car...lots of free samples and eye candy (and easily replicable foods) can help tempt even choosy girls into trying new things.

other suggestions - taste of india on broadway has very good potato samosas, and the piroshky place on broadway has wonderful cheap piroshkies.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Dimsum at one of the Chinese restaurants in the Int. District is always good.

It also depends on how the kids are raised as someone else pointed out. The more exposed they are, the more likely they are to want and try new things. Most of my Irish friends are really boring when it comes to food. They dont eat anything that is not meat/potatoes.

Definitely check out dimsum and maybe noodles.

La Spiga at Broadway & Union is a good option for authentic Italian food.