• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Delete Scenes

When I briefly corresponded with you a few months ago about an article I was writing, you mentioned that you were in the "midst of getting a couple thousand pages organized for a fall book." Taking a look at the specs on Amazon, it lists the new book as having 896 pages.

Maybe I've been spoiled by watching too many deleted scenes on my favorite DVDs, but is there any chance that, we, your greatest fans, can get a glimpse of what ended up on the cutting room floor?

A lot ended up on the cutting-room floor! The original cheese section of the dairy chapter was about as long as the final dairy chapter, for example. I haven’t yet figured out whether or how to package all this additional good stuff—whether to put it on my website, or in several short books, or what. I’ll decide early in the new year.