• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Battle of the Food Scientists

Are there any areas in food science that are controversial? Any topic that could bring two arguing scientists to exchanging blows?

Are there any topics that arise that cause you such angst that you simply have to walk away from the discussion?

I can’t think of any such matters, at least in food science itself. The disagreements come more over what to do with the science: how to translate knowledge and facts into public policy. For example, milk and cheese microbiology is a body of knowledge and facts that some people use to argue for universal mandatory pasteurization, and others to argue for the toleration of millennia-long traditions for the use of raw milk. As I mention in another post, I think we need more food lovers in decision-making positions!