• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Herve This & That

Ore

I am now in Italy where I stumbled upon a book written by Herve This. I know you know who he is!!! My version is in Italian, a bit difficult for me to read, but I get the main drift.

What are your opinions about This??

Have you worked with him before??

Are there subjects that you and he view diferently?? Please Explain!

Grazie again!

Ore

I’ve known Herve This for more than a decade, have spent several days with him at each of the half-dozen Molecular Gastronomy meetings at Erice, and admire him very much for the energy and gusto with which he collects observations, questions, and theories, and spreads the gospel of kitchen science. Maybe predictably for an Anglo-saxon, I find that some of his work gets pretty abstract and removed from real cooking, but there’s also a lot to be said for any approach that gets us to think freshly about things. Herve does that.