• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chartreuse and Cocktails with Chartreuse

sweetpea

• 4 months later...

Northern Lights (Christian Clark) with St. George Terroir gin, yellow Chartreuse, St. George absinthe, Regan's orange bitters.

Between the very flavorful gin (douglas fir & sage primarily), the Chartreuse, and the absinthe, this was just too busy.

15886192291_737fe0d60b_z.jpg

I don't mind busy, and this has some of my favourite things.  The Colonel's gin needs some hefty flavours, or it tends to take over (I'm considering a recipe for a 'gentler' one).  This might be tonight's drink.

Kindred, alas, has two cocktails called Northern Lights, neither of which is this one!

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Feel free to add a third, Leslie.

You could fix that by adding a third. :)

That may well happen - I'll see if I like it enough first!

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

Per the recipe previously linked:

• 1 1/2 ounces London dry gin
  • 1 1/2 ounces Italian vermouth
  • 1 teaspoon yellow Chartreuse

Thanks, I had read your link originally.  I may have been responding to a different post or I may have been...confused.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Feel free to add a third, Leslie.

You could fix that by adding a third. :)

And it came to pass.

We liked it a lot, using my own gin and my liqueur de laurier (bay seeds) for the Chartreuse.  The absinthe wasn't apparent; maybe it needs a little more than a dash.  I'll try a bar spoonful when we try this again (and we will).

My eG Foodblog

Finagled my first bottle of green chartreuse tonight. 

Served a Green Ghost, End of the Road, a Champs Elysee, a Last Word, and a couple of Monte Cassinos. 

The real winners were the Monte Cassino: 

3/4 oz. each Rittenhouse, Benedictine, green chartreuse, and lemon juice, plus a dash of simple syrup, and a lemon peel garnish

--and especially the Last Word, a drink that I've been dying to try for months, and yet somehow even exceeded my expectations:

1 oz. Beefeater, 3/4 oz. green chartreuse, 3/4 oz. lime juice, 3/4 oz. maraschino

So good!

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Charterhouse Cup (Adrian Gomes via Gaz Regan) with green Chartreuse as the base (!), Pimm's No. 1 Cup, Trois Rivieres white rhum agricole (La Mauny), lemon juice, sugar (2 tsp reduced to 1 tsp), egg white.

I knew this was going to be a winner because of the alliance between the white rhum agricole and the Chartreuse (cf the Green Mile and the Daisy de Santiago). Here the mix is lightened up by Pimm's which contributes some spice and works remarkably well. Smart drink.

16849399190_d778fd800e_z.jpg

• 6 months later...

Chartreuse as an accent... to improve a very standard rum!

Garrigue (Karim Mehdi via Gaz Regan) with Barcardi superior white rum*, lemon juice, yellow Chartreuse, homemade orgeat, sea salt.

22217253131_e1255aa2c4_z.jpg

A close relative of Marcis Dzelzainis' Gainsbourg Daisy, the Garrigue starts soft and subtle. A bit Army & Navy-esque. The Chartreuse manages to extract more flavor out of the rum, while the orgeat creates mouthfeel and a longer finish. It's interesting; light but flavorful.

*Costco-size bottle donated by some "friends"... getting very little use in my house.

• Like 2

I, once, asked to Stephen Martin, one of the best French bartender imo, to make me a drink chartreuse based

a sort of twisted grasshopper

5 cl green Chartreuse

2 cl gin
1,5 cl Crème de Cacao white
1 cl Menthe pastille (giffard)
cream
egg white

a real dessert !

Edited by lesliec
Added gin at member's request (log)

It finally cooled down enough here to start thinking of fall fruits like pears and apples. I saw this on Food52 (https://food52.com/recipes/38766-the-green-is-gold ), a champagne cocktail type drink with sparkling hard cider. It's a variation on a Death & Co. Last Word variation, the Julien Sorel.

Mine was yet a further variation as I used lime juice and perry instead of lemon and apple cider.

The Green is Gold

1/2 oz V.S.O.P. cognac (brandy)

1/2 oz yellow chartreuse

1/2 oz Luxardo maraschino liqueur

1/2 oz fresh lemon juice (I used lime)

Shake with ice, strain into a flute, top with very dry sparkling hard cider (I used Ace pear cider with some extra bubbles from Purefizz)

I like the pear-lime-yellow chartreuse combo and really enjoyed this. A nice Sunday afternoon brunch drink with enough complexity to stick around for some evening conversation.

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Sapporo Cocktail

Created by a Japanese bartender for a competition organized by diSaronno

1 oz Vodka

1 oz Amaretto

½ oz Green Chartreuse

½ oz Dry Vermouth

Lemon twist

It is quite dry (about 29% ABV including a 20% dilution) but being quite fond of dry cocktail, I enjoyed it. Amaretto was felt maybe a tad too much, not overwhelming the drink though. The chartreuse on the other hand was perfectly integrated, just the right amount.

dfe9bc533dffee57f731c60ef5982e75bf8a35ce

• 3 months later...

I love this one; I've had it in my rotation for a while now. Almost too good to share. ;)

Warday's (Harry Craddock) with Tanqueray London dry gin, Martini Gran Lusso vermouth, Daron XO calvados, green Chartreuse. (I use the ratios from the Bartender's Choice app).

24622884579_3a3f0cbca8_h.jpg

It's a great winter-to-spring transition drink with the mix of gin and apple brandy (I used calvados) as the base. There is something great about the interplay of the botanicals in the juniper-forward gin with the Chartreuse, and then the sweet vermouth & calvados giving it depth and warmth.

Edited by FrogPrincesse
delete unnecessary link (log)

tried a new cocktail (to me) that featured an interesting combination of a touch of Chartreuse and an even smaller touch of All Spice Dram.

The Shah Sleeps by Stew Ellington

1 1/2 oz Amaro Montenegro
1 oz Calvados
1/2 oz Carpano Punt e Mes
1 t Green Chartreuse
1/4 t Allspice Dram

Stir and strain. Orange peel garnish.

56c6172ad9e7c_Wednesdaytasting17FEB161.J

I liked this one. Even with just a touch of the chartreuse and all spice they both were present and the calvados seemed to work well as a base. Not really sure about the name though, presuming there is a reason to begin with.

• Like 1

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

As I mentioned elsewhere, I recently obtained some Serra Preta cachaca which smelled startlingly like olive brine, and, neat, tasted more like a dirty martini than anything else. Didn't seem to me like a caipirinha would work especially well, so I went searching for more suitable cachaca recipes and came across the Grande Elixir on Kindred:

• 1 1/2 oz. Leblon cachaca (Serra Preta)
  • 3/4 Yellow Chartreuse
  • 1/2 lemon juice
  • 1/2 honey syrup
  • Lemon twist

I thought the chartreuse, with its herbaceous bent, would provide some suitable context for the savory elements of the cachaca. And it worked well, the cachaca giving some productive tension to the lemon and honey dominant notes. Drinking it, more than anything I thought of lemon zest which is bright but also a little bitter. 

The friend who brought me the cachaca from Brazil was apologetic on sniffing the opened bottle, but I told her it's unforeseen ingredients like this that make mixing drinks more fun, and often make the resulting drinks more interesting.

• Like 2

Can't imagine what they did to make cachaca smell and taste like olives? Was it aged in some odd local wood?

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

I'm developing a taste for green V.E.P.  If I had to say I still prefer yellow V.E.P. but there is more in the green V.E.P. bottle.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou