• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chartreuse and Cocktails with Chartreuse

sweetpea

I think you must have the Chartreuse VEP, which is aged in oak. Was it in the price range of normal Chartreuse ($50-60)? If so, you got a hell of a deal, that stuff is rare and expensive.

Yep, that's VEP, and the wax, especially on older bottles, is some of the hardest I've seen used for this sort of application.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

I've always chipped away with the foil cutter of a wine key...once you expose the plastic cap you're nearly there. Score around the base a few dozen times and pull.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Damn

It's typically sold in 1L bottles, if that helps lessen the sting at all...

DeVoto, The Hour

Since I did manage to get the bottle open, and since I have been researching gin...and since I have a glut of grapefruit, I made a Cloister:

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/141096-the-pdt-cocktail-book/?p=1951319

I reduced the syrup to a teaspoon, down from a quarter ounce:

1 1/2 oz Bombay Dry

1/2 oz Yellow Charteuse VEP

1/2 oz white grapefruit juice

1/4 oz lemon juice

1 teaspoon syrup

This is far too sweet, I can't say I enjoy it.  There is no juniper to speak of, the sugar rides over everything.  If I were to make this again I would use Malacca instead of Bombay, and increase the gin to two ounces -- and decidedly omit the syrup entirely.

Edit:

So I did that.  I also upped the citrus by about a half ounce because that's just the way it happened.  Much better beverage.  The botanicals really stand out in a good way.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

To save any confusion, the recipe for my variation of the Cloister was:

2 oz Malacca

1/2 oz Yellow Charteuse VEP

3/4 oz fresh white grapefruit juice

1/2 oz fresh lemon juice

Since I like the yellow I will certainly consider the green...maybe not for a bit...this has been an expensive week and I still have Appleton 12 on order.

• 1 month later...

Given the relative heat wave of late, and my observation that bottle of Chartreuse was still quite full, I chose to revisit on of my favorite summertime cocktails.

The Chartreuse Swizzle (Link)

1.25 Oz Green Chartreuse

1 Oz Pineapple Juice

0.75 Oz Lime Juice (now at mercifully reduced price!)

0.5 Oz Falernum (Velvet)

Build over crushed ice in a tall glass, swizzle.

So refreshing, spicy, and oddly balanced. I think next time I may try it substituting Becherovka for the Falernum, as Dan did here in the drinks thread for the Crafty and Elusive Elk. 

• Like 1

Since I like the yellow I will certainly consider the green...maybe not for a bit...this has been an expensive week and I still have Appleton 12 on order.

Green is far superior

That's up to taste, my friend. I agree with you (I like the pungent spiciness of the green), but the honeyed mellowness of the yellow has its own appeal. Despite the family resemblance they're quite different products, both on their own and in mixed drinks.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Green, being higher proof and lower sugar, is certainly going to have a greater appeal among the (typically) Fernet and Barrel-proof spirit-loving cocktail cognoscenti. That said, I have it on good authority that the monks typically take theirs mixed, around 2:1 green to yellow. If that's not exactly picking a favorite child, it's at least signaling a belief that one has greater potential.

DeVoto, The Hour

Green, being higher proof and lower sugar, is certainly going to have a greater appeal among the (typically) Fernet and Barrel-proof spirit-loving cocktail cognoscenti. 

Das me!

• Like 1

Reporting back on the Chartreuse Swizzle with Becherovka in place of Falernum. It worked out quite well, preserving the balance of the drink, while drying it out slightly. I don't think I like it better than the original, but it is certainly on par. 

As for a name(does such a small variation need a name?) I did type the cocktail into google translate and turn it into Czech. It comes out as Chartreuska Swizzle, which I think is rathe pleasing. 

• 1 month later...

Chartreuse and falernum is a winning combo.

After an attempt at setting the kitchen on fire,

14604380428_e3f543470d_z.jpg

...I was able to enjoy being At Peace With What Once Was (Jonny Almario), a Vellocet-inspired cocktail (itself very similar to the Chartreuse Swizzle discussed above), with vermouth. Green chartreuse, sweet vermouth (Punt e Mes), falernum (homemade), mole bitters.

I have to admit that I am sometimes guilty of picking cocktails not based on ingredients alone, but also names (I know, that sounds awfully superficial. It is what is inside that counts.). An interesting name is always more intriguing, plus it's easier to remember. Also it's fun to serve to other people, and even better if there is a good story that goes with the name. No idea what the story is with that one though. I will have to make something up.

14787878951_526fef36de_z.jpg

I have to admit that I am sometimes guilty of picking cocktails not based on ingredients alone, but also names (I know, that sounds awfully superficial. It is what is inside that counts.). An interesting name is always more intriguing, plus it's easier to remember. Also it's fun to serve to other people, and even better if there is a good story that goes with the name. No idea what the story is with that one though. I will have to make something up.

14787878951_526fef36de_z.jpg

I do the same thing. I sometimes find myself really hoping a cocktail with an awesome name will be brilliant, and then being terribly disappointed when it is not. But when a great name accompanies a great cocktail, it is just a win-win.

...I was able to enjoy being At Peace With What Once Was (Jonny Almario), a Vellocet-inspired cocktail (itself very similar to the Chartreuse Swizzle discussed above), with vermouth. Green chartreuse, sweet vermouth (Punt e Mes), falernum (homemade), mole bitters.

But...but...the burned mint is the best part of the Vellocet.

DeVoto, The Hour

No need to worry - after the kitchen countertop pyrotechnics, I set another 1/2 oz of chartreuse on fire and finished preparing the cocktail properly. I did not attempt taking a picture of the process that time, just the finished result.

No need to worry - after the kitchen countertop pyrotechnics, I set another 1/2 oz of chartreuse on fire and finished preparing the cocktail properly. I did not attempt taking a picture of the process that time, just the finished result.

I'm worried because the recipe for the At Peace With What Once Was has you pouring the flaming Chartreuse on top before you garnish with mint, and your mint does not appear to be singed.

DeVoto, The Hour

I appreciate your concern. :smile: 
You are right, my mint is not singed like the one in the cocktail virgin slut photo - I did not want to risk burning the whole kitchen down, so I poured the chartreuse near the base and only the bottom leaves were singed. I still got wonderful caramelized aromas from the flaming chartreuse.