• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chartreuse and Cocktails with Chartreuse

sweetpea

The Poor Liza is an Poir Williams Champs d'Elysees. So it goes a little like this.

2 oz Poir Williams (Clear Creek)

1/2 Green Chartruse

3/4 lemon juice

1/4 simple syrup

3 dash Peychaud's bitters

Toby

Edited by Alchemist (log)

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

Ah, thanks for sharing that.

I had the ingredients right, but my ratios were still a little off.

I think I have to start trying to figure out the Hush and Wonder next (don't tell me, I wanna see if I can do it!).

-James

My new book is, "Destination: Cocktails", from Santa Monica Press! http://www.destinationcocktails.com

Please see http://www.tydirium.net for information on all of my books, including "Tiki Road Trip", and "Big Stone Head", plus my global travelogues, and more!

Thanks.

I have limes, grapefruit bitters, Matusalem, and Creme de Violette (Sams has it now, the same brand that VH has behind the bar), so I think I am off to a good start.

Might have to come in and do some research soon. :-)

I called that drink 'delicate' and Michel said "we prefer atmospheric".

-James

My new book is, "Destination: Cocktails", from Santa Monica Press! http://www.destinationcocktails.com

Please see http://www.tydirium.net for information on all of my books, including "Tiki Road Trip", and "Big Stone Head", plus my global travelogues, and more!

While down in New Orleans, Doc had Chris at the Ritz whip up a Widow's Kiss.  I'ts my new favorite last-one-of-the-night and right-before-bed cocktail

2 parts Calvados  (get a good and sturdy one)

1 part Benedictine

1 part Chartreuse

couple a dashes of Angostura

Meyers

Mixed one of these up the other night too.

This is an intense drink!

Complex on the tongue, heavy, not for the feint of heart, (and expensive to make!)

-James

Just got my first bottle of Green Chartreuse a couple weeks ago.  My favorite so far is

1 1/2 gin(Beefeater)

1/2 turbinado syrup 1:1

1/2 lemon juice

1/2 Green Chartreuse 

2 drops Angostura

lemon twist

Maybe a little less sugar and sub in absinthe for the bitters and you're pretty close to a Biter Cocktail.

Edit because the Biter calls for "lemon juice, slightly sweetened."

Edited by thirtyoneknots (log)

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

I'll definitely try the Biter the next time I pick up absinthe or pastis, it sounds really good. Eje's Savoy thread was why I first started reading this forum.:biggrin: I was kind

of trying to do something soft & approachable like a lemon drop, but with allot more going on flavor wise.

Just tried similar but with blanco tequila, a little less sugar, and a tsp. of maraschnno. It's definitely on the sweet side, but really tasty.

Edited by c.reit (log)

Another decent beginner's introduction to Chartreuse, IMHO: 1.5 oz in ~8 oz ginger beer (something spicy, like Reed's Extra Ginger Brew), 3-4 dashes Angostura bitters on top. Quite sweet, but somehow complementary - adjust the amount of ginger beer to your taste. To the uninitiated we've foisted this on, yellow goes over very well as an introduction - but a good idea to try before green.

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

I posted this one elsewhere, but since it has Chartreuse, I'll throw it in again:

2 Applejack

3/4 Yellow Chartreuse

3/4 lemon juice

1/2 simple

dash Peychaud's

1 egg yolk

S, S, SU

This was an experiment to see how egg yolk works in a cocktail. The Yellow Chartreuse was that last thing I thought to put in (after several iterations). It adds a great amount of complexity to an otherwise straight-forward flavor profile.

I posted this one elsewhere, but since it has Chartreuse, I'll throw it in again:

2 Applejack

3/4 Yellow Chartreuse

3/4 lemon juice

1/2 simple

dash Peychaud's

1 egg yolk

S, S, SU

This was an experiment to see how egg yolk works in a cocktail. The Yellow Chartreuse was that last thing I thought to put in (after several iterations). It adds a great amount of complexity to an otherwise straight-forward flavor profile.

I have all of that at home. Except my Chartreuse is green one, not yellow. Do you think it would work OK with the green? (the egg yolk is an interesting twist. I know that whites in sours is "common")

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

2 Applejack

3/4 Yellow Chartreuse

3/4 lemon juice

1/2 simple

dash Peychaud's

1 egg yolk

S, S, SU

[/quote

Sounds wicked, you got a name for it yet?]

2 Applejack

3/4 Yellow Chartreuse

3/4 lemon juice

1/2 simple

dash Peychaud's

1 egg yolk

S, S, SU

I have all of that at home. Except my Chartreuse is green one, not yellow. Do you think it would work OK with the green? (the egg yolk is an interesting twist. I know that whites in sours is "common")

Green is significantly more intense, so if you give it a try and don't like it, don't rule it, just grab some yellow and try again. Also, with the green you may want to reduce the chartreuse slightly.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

2 Applejack

3/4 Yellow Chartreuse

3/4 lemon juice

1/2 simple

dash Peychaud's

1 egg yolk

S, S, SU

Green is significantly more intense, so if you give it a try and don't like it, don't rule it, just grab some yellow and try again. Also, with the green you may want to reduce the chartreuse slightly.

thanks for the tip. I am new to Chartreuse , and so far have only used it to make The Last Word (really, the reason I picked up a bottle). I was watching Alberta Straub's video podcast, and she had a drink that used Chartreuse with whiskey. Called the Tipperary. Could be a winner for St. Patrick's day.

2 Applejack

3/4 Yellow Chartreuse

3/4 lemon juice

1/2 simple

dash Peychaud's

1 egg yolk

S, S, SU

thanks for the tip. I am new to Chartreuse , and so far have only used it to make The Last Word (really, the reason I picked up a bottle). I was watching Alberta Straub's video podcast, and she had a drink that used Chartreuse with whiskey. Called the Tipperary. Could be a winner for St. Patrick's day.

Tipperary is a pretty decent drink, donno how Ms. Straub makes them, but I like them as such: 2 oz Irish whiskey, 1 oz or a little less of red vermouth, stir and strain into glass rinsed with Chartreuse. I think this is from Joy of Mixology. Some older recipes call for equal parts. No.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

2 Applejack

3/4 Yellow Chartreuse

3/4 lemon juice

1/2 simple

dash Peychaud's

1 egg yolk

S, S, SU

[/quote

Sounds wicked, you got a name for it yet?]

It's called the I.D.T. But, it could end up being something like a Yellow Jacket.

Green Chartreuse is a whole different beast and I'm not sure it would really work for this cocktail.

Tonight I did play with the Green beast:

2 Jim Beam

3/4 lemon

1/2 simple

1/2 ginger syrup

1/4 Green Chartreuse

dash Peychaud's

S, S, Rocks, no garnish

This one shouldn't work. The ginger and Chartreuse should conflict. Instead they hit the pallet at different points. The ginger is apparent up front, but the Chartreuse trails off into the last moment of the sip.

Edited by Troy Sidle (log)

2 Applejack

3/4 Yellow Chartreuse

3/4 lemon juice

1/2 simple

dash Peychaud's

1 egg yolk

S, S, SU

Tipperary is a pretty decent drink, donno how Ms. Straub makes them, but I like them as such: 2 oz Irish whiskey, 1 oz or a little less of red vermouth, stir and strain into glass rinsed with Chartreuse. I think this is from Joy of Mixology. Some older recipes call for equal parts. No.

just re-watched the podcast..

what she made was

1 1/2 ounce Irish Whiskey (Tillamore Dew )

3/4 ounce Chartreuse

splash Maraschino liqueur

dash of Regans Orange Bitters

stir. stain into cocktail glass. garnish with a lemon twist.

She mentioned there were other variations and said she would reveal them later in the program, but never did.

You can watch it here..

http://www.onnetworks.com/videos/cocktails...e-fly/tipperary

So, I am not sure if that is right or not. I don't have irish whiskey at home. But I do have scotch (JW Black) and some bourbon. Wonder how it would work using that instead of the Irish??

I would go with the bourbon, the black might be a bit peaty. I would like to try this cocktail with Red Breast. Sounds wicked.

Edited while not drinking Green Charmoose.

Edited by Alchemist (log)

what she made was

3/4 ounce Chartreuse

stir. stain into cocktail glass.  garnish with a lemon twist.

The Tipperary from the Savoy (apparently via Hugo Ensslin) is as follows:

Tipperary Cocktail (No. 1)

1/3 Italian Vermouth.

1/3 Green Chartreuse.

1/3 Irish Whisky.

Shake well and strain into cocktail glass.

How did Maraschino get subbed in for vermouth? Also, sounds overly sweet.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

what she made was

3/4 ounce Chartreuse

stir. stain into cocktail glass.   garnish with a lemon twist.

1/3 Italian Vermouth.

1/3 Green Chartreuse.

1/3 Irish Whisky.

At those proportions, I'd say the "variation" sounds considerably drier than the Tipperary. It's only a splash of Maraschino, after all, and 2:1 on the whiskey to Chartreuse...

Christopher

what she made was

3/4 ounce Chartreuse

1/3 Italian Vermouth.

1/3 Green Chartreuse.

1/3 Irish Whisky.

Don't really know. If you watch the video, you'll seee how she talks about varations. She suggests she will explain them all, but never does. Maybe we have to wait for a future episode??

what she made was

3/4 ounce Chartreuse

1/3 Italian Vermouth.

1/3 Green Chartreuse.

1/3 Irish Whisky.

At those proportions, I'd say the "variation" sounds considerably drier than the Tipperary. It's only a splash of Maraschino, after all, and 2:1 on the whiskey to Chartreuse...

Christopher

I guess I find the apparent sweetness of Maraschino to be far greater than that of Chartreuse, which to my palate adds richness faster than sweetness, if that makes any sense. Not necessarily related to actual sugar content I suppose, at least the way it's percieved. FWIW the original Tipperary also looks a bit over the top to me. I must confess to never having actually made it that way.

-Andy

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

There are two "obscure" choices that I sneak into most cocktails at my bar. Chartruese and Campari. Most people not in the know tend to run from these flavors- but I manage to sneak it in most of the time.

As we head toward Spring- I enjoy muddling grapefruit and cucumber then adding a squeeze of lime, housemade bitter infused simple syrup, Plymouth Gin & a splash of green chartreuse. Served up. Mmmmmm Delicious!

For winter- Try a simple but warming combination of Irish Whiskey and Green Chartuese. (3 parts, 1 part)

is it any good?  I bought it last week for it had such a great color.

Would love some help.

Thanks.

I was recently reminded of Marco Dionysos' (aka cocktailgeek) Chartreuse Swizzle. A fine, fine drink, and far too easy to consume...

"Chartreuse Swizzle"

1 1/4 oz. Green Chartreuse

1 oz. pineapple juice

juice of a lime

1/2 oz. Velvet Falernum

Shake well with ice and strain into a collins glass over crushed ice. Garnish with lime wheel and wedge of pineapple.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA