• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Measuring Cups and Spoons

Marlene

And how many do you have to own before you are defined as a "kitchen geek?

It occured to me today to ask, when my friend who was visiting me said, "how many measuring spoon sets do you have anyway? ",as she watched me pull set after set out of the drawer.

At last count I had:

Liquid measuring cups

4 - 1 cup measures

3 -2 cup measures

2 -4 cup measures

3 -8 cup measures

Dry measures

4 sets of regular measures

3 sets of irregular measures ( 3/4 cup, 2 cup etc)

Measuring spoons

10 regular sets

3 set's irregular measures

And I use every single one of them.

:blink:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I refuse to answer on the grounds that it may tend to incriminate me - - - as having no will power at all when I pass the aisle where such things lurk.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have three sets of plastic measuring cups--all complete except for the 1/3 cup measure. This is a problem that has plagued me since I first moved out on my own at age 19. I buy a set of measuring cups and within 2 weeks the 1/3 cup is gone forever. So every once in a while I get fed up and buy a new set. No joke, each time, within 2 weeks, the 1/3 cup is no more. I have no idea why this happens.

I have three incomplete sets of measuring spoons adding up to a complete set.

Rachel Sincere

I have three sets of plastic measuring cups--all complete except for the 1/3 cup measure.  This is a problem that has plagued me since I first moved out on my own at age 19.  I buy a set of measuring cups and within 2 weeks the 1/3 cup is gone forever.  So every once in a while I get fed up and buy a new set.  No joke, each time, within 2 weeks, the 1/3 cup is no more.  I have no idea why this happens. 

So now I have an answer to *my* question: Where did all these 1/3 cup measures come from?

No joke: Last week I counted six.........otherwise I have three complete sets of dry measures; four sets of spoons, (2) one cup liquid, and (2) two cup liquid

When I'm making The Silver Palate's Carrot Cake, they are all used simultaneously!

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

Not nearly enough!

I have three full sets of measuring spoons, two metal, one plastic.

Two Tbsp measures (I don't what happened to the rest of those sets -- perhaps they joined Rachel's 1/3 cup measures in a far off land, alternately spilling and spooning in the moonlight. :wub:)

One one set of dry measuring cups (the 1/2 cup is an odd one -- the rest are with those spoons I suppose), because I melted the the original 1/2 cup when I set it on top of the toaster oven, and forgot it was there. :blush: It was clean. :raz:

One Pyrex two cup measure (had two -- broke the one I had for over 20 years recently when I fell on the concrete kitchen floor :sad::laugh:).

One Pyrex one cup measure.

Then if you count the canning jars I've set aside to supplement those (handy, marked on the side) I have about another six -- two each -- pint, pint and a half, and quart size for rough measures. :rolleyes:

I need a big stockingful for Xmas! :wink:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Not nearly enough!

I need a big stockingful for Xmas! :wink:

My friend just couldn't understand the need for more than one set of anything, and was completely bewildered when I said I didn't have enough! :biggrin:

Marlene

It's ok, eunny, stick with us and we'll cure you of that. Before you know it, you'll have as many as the rest of us. :biggrin:

Marlene

One 1-cup Pyrex

one 2-cup Pyrex

one 1-cup plunger like Alton Brown uses ("That's SO NEAT!" I yelled during a show where he used it with honey. . . .and three weeks later, they appeared at the door. Seriously, this boyfriend is sticking around)

1 two-cup plunger

2 sets of plastic measuring cups(but I hate one of them)

2 sets of plastic measuring spoons

And each one belongs in a designated spot, and I get real grumpy when they get used and not put back in the "right" place.

Diana

Let's see...

2 2 quart Pyrex "bowls" with the handles

1 2 cup Pyrex

1 1 cup Pyrex

1 set heavy stainless dry measure cups

1 set stainless spoons

1 goofy cone shaped "universal" measuring thing that I never use (seemed like a good idea at the time)

Clearly my toy box is deficient in this department. I intend to correct that as soon as I build some more room to store more toys. :biggrin:

Now I have a question...

I have recently read some recipes that call for 1/3 of a teaspoon of some ingredient. Hmmm... I have looked in all the usual places (W-S, SLT, Baker's Catalog) and it appears that such a thing does not exist. W-S sells an "odd size" set of spoons but no 1/3 there, either.

RSincere has a problem with disappearing 1/3s. SusanG is inundated with them.

I can't get 1/3 to format to a fraction in Word.

Is there something about 1/3 that is working very hard to be troublesome?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

1 goofy cone shaped "universal" measuring thing that I never use (seemed like a good idea at the time)

send that one to me, please...i have about 4 of those, and use them constantly, as they have oz., tablespoons, teaspoons, cups and other measurements i don't even know what they are...they are top rack dishwasher safe, but several have "found their way" to the bottom rack :angry: , and therefore can no longer be used for liquid measure (unless i am lightening quick, the liquid being measured oozes out of the crack in the bottom!)

i love those, and the measuring spoons that are elongated rectangles, rather than round-bellied--the ones where even the tablespoon will fit inside a narrow spice jar, so i can measure one tablespoon, rather than a teaspoon three times! :raz:

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

[i can measure one tablespoon, rather than a teaspoon three times!  :raz:

Aha! This weekend my husband insisted that one tablespoon equalled two teaspoons. I didn't think it did, but since I really really suck at math, I couldn't argue with him :biggrin::blink:

Marlene

I am a lightweight. I have one each of a 4-cup, 2-cup and 1-cup Pyrex liquid measure, two sets of metal measuring cups and two sets of metal measuring spoons.

Does anyone have one of those OXO slanted liquid measuring cups? The ones where they claim you don't have to bend down to read the measurement? They keep showing up in my Amazon gold box for $5.98, and I have been wondering if it's a useful piece of equipment or if it would get shoved to the back of the cabinet, never to be seen again. My grandma gave me the Pyrex liquid measures so those are here to stay, but I figure you could always use another 2-cup liquid measure.

Awww, you guys, you've fallen for the scam and are perpetuating my most grievous pet peeve. You see, the manufacturers of all these measuring utensils have been buying off our beloved cookbook writers here in the US for years. They have paid good money for their souls so that they would never use weight measurements in their books which would make the kitchen scale the only measuring utensil necessary (with the exception of your pyrex liquid measures which are great for a myriad of uses), hence all dry measure cups and measuring spoons would be rendered useless. :wink:

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

Awww, you guys, you've fallen for the scam and are perpetuating my most grievous pet peeve.  You see, the manufacturers of all these measuring utensils have been buying off our beloved cookbook writers here in the US for years.  They have paid good money for their souls so that they would never use weight measurements in their books which would make the kitchen scale the only measuring utensil necessary (with the exception of your pyrex liquid measures which are great for a myriad of uses), hence all dry measure cups and measuring spoons would be rendered useless.  :wink:

this post reminded me--when i was 18 (long, long ago) and had my first apartment and roommate, the metric system was threatening to take over the u.s.....(what ever happened to that?!) my roomie was absolutely panicked about this looming threat--actually spent time worrying about how to handle it :huh: , until i pointed out that the kitchen police were not likely to come and wrestle the teaspoons (and 1/3 cup measures) from her bony grip. i think she found something else to worry about then. :wink:

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Awww, you guys, you've fallen for the scam and are perpetuating my most grievous pet peeve.  You see, the manufacturers of all these measuring utensils have been buying off our beloved cookbook writers here in the US for years.  They have paid good money for their souls so that they would never use weight measurements in their books which would make the kitchen scale the only measuring utensil necessary (with the exception of your pyrex liquid measures which are great for a myriad of uses), hence all dry measure cups and measuring spoons would be rendered useless.  :wink:

I don't really disagree with you, Kit. I've almost quit using large (1/4-cup and up) dry measures in favor of weights, unless I'm familiar enough with the recipe and the ingredients to be sure that things will work.

But given the precision of the scales available today (usually 1 gram/0.25 ounce) I think you'd have a lot of trouble distinguishing between the weights of small volumes -- say a quarter-teaspoon and a half-teasoon of cream of tartar, or almost any dried herb in quantities as large as a tablespoon. Until we can get more precise, reasonably-priced scales that are practical for the home cook, I'll stick with one (or more) of my 5-1/2 sets of spoons (they always look great when you take 'em home, but by the next morning, somehow they've lost their appeal).

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I had to completely empty my kitchen when we remodeled. Took a long hard look at everything and found a wonderful community warehouse that helps people who really need it set up housekeeping. I donated all the old but quite usable cups, spoons, pots, pans, etc. and they were so happy to get it all.

Now I'm down to what I really need, 2 sets of measuring cups, 1 set of spoons, a 1,2 and 4 cup glass measuring cup. I can find everything and all my drawers close alot better!

I have yet to see a cookbook in North America offer weights instead of or at least with, weight measurments. I also have yet to invest in a scale myself

this post reminded me--when i was 18 (long, long ago) and had my first apartment and roommate, the metric system was threatening to take over the u.s.....(what ever happened to that?!) my roomie was absolutely panicked about this looming threat--actually spent time worrying about how to handle it  :huh: , until i pointed out that the kitchen police were not likely to come and wrestle the teaspoons  (and 1/3 cup measures) from her bony grip. i think she found something else to worry about then. :wink:

We colonials up here in Canada switched to metric a long time ago, but everything I do is still in cups and ounces. Tell your friend she'd be safe even if the US did go metric. :biggrin:

Marlene

Thought the "wink" ( :wink: ) at the end of my post would warn everyone to take what I said with a grain of salt! And you're right, Dave, several sets of measuring spoons will always come in handy for those nearly weightless ingredients.

But I DO wish they'd offer us the weight option in all our cook books.

Check out the scales at KitchenScales.com

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

I am a lightweight. I have one each of a 4-cup, 2-cup and 1-cup Pyrex liquid measure, two sets of metal measuring cups and two sets of metal measuring spoons.

Does anyone have one of those OXO slanted liquid measuring cups? The ones where they claim you don't have to bend down to read the measurement? They keep showing up in my Amazon gold box for $5.98, and I have been wondering if it's a useful piece of equipment or if it would get shoved to the back of the cabinet, never to be seen again. My grandma gave me the Pyrex liquid measures so those are here to stay, but I figure you could always use another 2-cup liquid measure.

I have them in every size from the mini 2oz to the 1 quart.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Here is a photo of a good part of my "collection" of measuring tools that I can lay hands on without digging through drawers and cabinets. These were all hanging up.

gallery_17399_60_1099971179.jpg

Some are missing because they have taken up permanent residence in various canisters and containers of ingredients.

Many liquid measures and a few of the dry ones are already in the tubs and on the trays with already measured dry ingredients for cookies and other holiday recipes as they will be needed for measuring liquid and perishable things. .

I use the 2 quart Pyrex measures in the background for microwave cooking quite often which is why I have several.

I have a 2 cup Oxo cup. I don't like it and only use it if the other two are dirty. It's too narrow to scrape clean easily. I prefer glass to plastic, and I'm a pretty accurate measurer with a regular cup. I also think it takes up too much space because of the shape of the handle.

Way too many.

We used to have two homes, and they had duplicate kitchens. When we sold our beach house, I gave away lots of the good things to friends who cook (a set of Le Creuset, lots of All Clad, and misc. tools) but brought home some of the others. Including several sets of measuring cups and spoons. I have a lifetime supply, and then some, but I find myself lusting after the black Oxo set w/ the colored dots. I think it even has 3/8 & 7/8 cups. Mine never run away from home, but if they do, then there will be room for these!

Edited by marie-louise (log)

Keep in mind that I keep a kosher kitchen. Hence, I have monst things in triplicate -- meat, dairy, parve. And everything is color coded!!

4 2-cup pyrex measuring cups (2 red, 1 green, 1 blue)

2 sets of dry measures

3 sets of standard measuring spoons

2 sets non-standard measuring spoons

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs