• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Measuring Cups and Spoons

Marlene

Why do people put themselves through that???? I am someone who thinks in math terms - and I shy away from problems like that. Even if there is a correct answer that fits into a integer number of volume measures, the accuracy and speed just aren't there.

I marvel that friends of mine need to be yanked kicking and screaming to try the electronic scale. Somehow it appears harder to them.

It's my secret laziness tool. I get things done more cleanly, faster, better, easier.

It's win - win - win.  Faster, more accurate and more finely adjustable.

And easier to scale. Quick: what's half of 1-3/4 cups flour? A third of 1-1/4 cup sugar?

The Oxo measuring cups disappointed me in the long run because the dots wore off, as did the size indications.

I don't buy measuring cups or spoons now except metal with inscribed or raised indicators.

I have so many Pyrex 2 cup measuring cups they have their own shelf. :biggrin:

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

• 10 months later...

3 sets of dry measuring cups

3 sets of dry measuring spoons

1 1-cup liquid measure

1 4-cup liquid measure

I want more, too.

It all comes down to mise en place. I can have things set out in their proper portions for a recipe before I go about making it and it saves time. I tend to use them as prep bowls when making things that don't normally need measuring cups, too, but I'm hoping that changes when I order the sets of clear glass containers from Crate & Barrel.