• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sparkling Wine

jsolomon

So, a week ago, I had an occasion to open some bubbly.

But my so-called friends who were going to celebrate with me ditched me. To a person. It was me alone.

Deciding that it would be bad to have drunk a whole bottle of bubbly when the trick-or-treaters get to my place, I decided to hold the bubbly in the fridge. It's still there today.

How long is too long to hold the unopened bottle at serving temperature? The bottle is: Piper Sonoma Brut, Select Cuvee.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I have a feeling you will find the right moment for that Piper very soon.

I'm guessing two years would be a bit long. However, if you have reason to celebrate with a good bottle of bubbly, I also suspect you do have friends willing to drink it. They just may not be the ones you expected. Better start thinking about apps.

Congratulations! on . . . whatever. :laugh:

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

The whatever would be getting my med school application out.

Finding friends to drink bubbly with me? I'll look in the unexpected places, but there aren't many of those in my current lifestyle :sad:

I'll try to keep it in the fridge less than 2 years, though. Thanks!

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Great job! Congrats!!

I think a bigger problem than the bubbly in the fridge is why do you have friends who ditch when bubbly is chilled?? I know peolple that even if they didn't like me would show up for a glass of the good stuff!!!

:wink:

ok, next time you need to celebrate with champagne, do it in Seattle! I'll give you directions to the house! :biggrin:

To actually answer your question,

Piper Sonoma Brut is not a hugely "important" sparkler. I tend to find a real max of a few months at refrig. temps is about right, maybe six for a Piper.

My real "beef" with you is this: Bubbles are NOT a "special occassion" wine! They go GREAT with many foods...I think Friday is a great occassion for sparklers. Napoleon said "In Victory, one deserves Champagne, in Defeat one NEEDS it!"

Call a NEW set of friends in for Sunday dinner and open the Piper. OR better yet, make Eggs Benedict or Lox and Bagles and serve it for Sunday Brunch...need more ideas? ask!

CHAMPAGNE IS NOT JUST FOR NEW YEARS ANYMORE!!!

Cheers,

Rob

"When I lived in Paris, and champagne was relatively cheap, I always enjoyed a half-bottle in the middle of the morning and another half-bottle at six or so in the evening. It did me a tremendous amount of good." - Gerald Hamilton.

My real "beef" with you is this: Bubbles are NOT a "special occassion" wine! They go GREAT with many foods...I think Friday is a great occassion for sparklers.

I find Tuesdays work just as well as Friday as an occassion for opening a sparkler. :smile:

Aw, that sucks. I also had a recent situation where I had sparkling wine on hand for celebration and beer on hand for mourning. I drank the beer, but was so bummed I couldn't even enjoy it and only finished half my glass. The sparkler went back in the wine cellar (there's no real harm in letting it come back to room temperature). But I have left sparkling wine in the fridge for months with no apparent ill effects. Not that you would, but keeping a bottle in an exposed rack in the kitchen is fairly deleterious for it, and the bottle would be better off in the fridge.

Good luck finding more reliable drinking buddies, I mean celebrants.

Walt

Walt Nissen -- Livermore, CA

jsolomon, congratulations and best wishes to ya, sweetheart! I am thinking you will get the choice of your apps. Billings is good for skier, biker, cool type of docs. No state sales tax.

Thanks for your kind em when I felt like 3 miles of wet road. It was nice. I am recooping.

Mondays are a good thing to toast. Don't waste the bubbles. Have an outrageous good time with someone you'd never think of inviting to partake! Sometimes that can be a very productive thing :biggrin:

Funny you should mention sabreing the bottle... I used to coach sabre :biggrin:

Mabelline, I'm working on your suggestion, but did you know there's no med school in MT? What a travesty!

Actually, I'll probably end up staying in Nebraska for medical school. A number of reasons why, but mainly I don't feel like moving out of my home state yet. But, I'm also looking into taking the military route for paying for medical school. That being said, I'll be living in plenty of places after medical school with lots of entertainment.

Once I either end up out of medical school, or in the military going, I'll have much better resources to have bubbly more often :grin:

So, I got up at 5 a.m. today. Went to work. I got off work. I ran 6 miles with a friend. I loaded 1500 pounds of rocks into my pickup. I built a pantry into a friend's wall (all after work, mind you).

Now, I'm home. The wine said "forget her; she just used you for your body." Who am I to argue with wine?

Piper Sonoma is officially declared, "yummy." :smile:

Edit to add: Mabelline, you're being toasted by me. To surprises and surprising acquaintances! Thanks for the good words!

Edited by jsolomon (log)