• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dr. Pepper Fountain Classics

viva

By the way, for those of you who were enjoying your Passover Coke with real sugar this last couple of weeks, apparently Dr. Pepper will be doing a special "retro" bottling of Dr. Pepper using CANE SUGAR around the July timeframe, for about three months.

everyone together now:

I'm a Pepper, You're a Pepper, She's a Pepper...

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Cane sugar DP is always available in limited quantities in Texas, because one plant here still makes it only that way. The taste difference is not particularly subtle. So put in a supply of the original DP when it is available this summer and you can make a cherry, lemon or vanilla (or whatever) DP yourself...the obvious way.

Correct, Dr Pepper from the Dublin plant (Dublin, TX, between Waco and Dallas/Ft Worth) is made with cane sugar, and you can actually order the syrup itself from the company, if you want to mix it with carbonated water to make your own Dr. Pepper, the old fashioned soda jerk way:

http://www.olddocs.com/product.aspx?id=148...2&up2=168&up3=0

You can actually get the syrup in larger amounts from them (gallon containers) but you have to call them directly.

Dublin Dr Pepper

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

The more I drink it, the more I love Dr Pepper Berries and Cream. I think its one of the best mass-marketed brand-enhancer soft drink products to have been released probably in the last ten years.

The more I drink it, the more I love Dr Pepper Berries and Cream. I think its one of the best mass-marketed brand-enhancer soft drink products to have been released probably in the last ten years.

I bought the diet berries and cream and I didnt like it at all. I much prefer the diet cherry vanilla. The diet berries and cream tasted really artificial to me.

By the way, for those of you who were enjoying your Passover Coke with real sugar this last couple of weeks, apparently Dr. Pepper will be doing a special "retro" bottling of Dr. Pepper using CANE SUGAR around the July timeframe, for about three months.

everyone together now:

The Cane Sugar DP I bought recently in Dallas is coming out of the Temple, Texas plant, rather than Dublin, although the store display signs still say Dublin.

• 1 year later...

everyone together now:

The Cane Sugar DP I bought recently in Dallas is coming out of the Temple, Texas plant, rather than Dublin, although the store display signs still say Dublin.

I love Dr. Pepper...the Imperial Cane Sugar DP is the best.

I went to Baylor University in Waco, TX...the home of Dr. Pepper. Every Tuesday between 3:00pm and 4:00pm, the university would have "Dr. Pepper Hour". They would mix up Dr. Pepper and Bluebell Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream and dump it into punch bowls. You could use the glasses that they provided or bring your own larger glasses and fill em up for free! Tuition was so damn much that I felt like I had to take advantage of this in order to get my money's worth...lol.

Seriously though, what better combination could there be than the glorious nectar that is Dr. Pepper and Blue Bell Ice Cream? I suppose that mostly only Texans know about Blue Bell. Sorry Yanks...it ain't the same with Ben and Jerry's...

Edited by Morgan_Weber (log)

• 6 months later...

I bought the diet cherry chocolate the other day.

I really like it!! It reminds me of those old diet choc. soda's from years and years ago. I think Faygo made one?

Anyway, I like this flavor and I hope it stays around( I bought it at Loblaw's)

Anyone else try it?

Because of your post Randi, when I saw the chocolate cherry Dr. Pepper at a gas station last night, I grabbed a bottle. I'm not a fan of DP generally (unless it's served hot), but I liked this. It did remind me of the chocolate soda we got when we were kids (Canfield's?) - but it might even be a little bit better.

Because of your post Randi, when I saw the chocolate cherry Dr. Pepper at a gas station last night, I grabbed a bottle.  I'm not a fan of DP generally (unless it's served hot), but I liked this.  It did remind me of the chocolate soda we got when we were kids (Canfield's?) - but it might even be a little bit better.

HOT???? Wow, thats interesting.

I thought the chocolate came thru a lot more than the cherry. I seem to remember my grandpa making some treat with the diet chocolate soda and something else? I can't remember what the something else was though.

Because of your post Randi, when I saw the chocolate cherry Dr. Pepper at a gas station last night, I grabbed a bottle.  I'm not a fan of DP generally (unless it's served hot), but I liked this.  It did remind me of the chocolate soda we got when we were kids (Canfield's?) - but it might even be a little bit better.

HOT???? Wow, thats interesting.

I thought the chocolate came thru a lot more than the cherry. I seem to remember my grandpa making some treat with the diet chocolate soda and something else? I can't remember what the something else was though.

coffee and cream

:wub:

HOT????  Wow, thats interesting. 

Yeah. I don't remember where, but when I was a kid a restaurant served it hot. I thought it was great. I haven't had it in a few years, and before that only a few times, so I'm not vouching for it now, but it was good then.

• 2 weeks later...
HOT????  Wow, thats interesting. 

Yeah. I don't remember where, but when I was a kid a restaurant served it hot. I thought it was great. I haven't had it in a few years, and before that only a few times, so I'm not vouching for it now, but it was good then.

I had hot Dr. Pepper years and years and years ago at a historic park in Dallas. It was so-so. Flat, too. But you could taste the DP flavor.

I have to try one of these chocolate ones they have out now.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Flat, huh? That doesn't sound good. As a kid, part of the fun was that when heated, the bubbles started popping while in the cup -- and in your face. Hrm. Doesn't sound like fun now, but back then it sure was.

I picked up a 12-pack of the cherry/chocolate last week and I'm drinking the one now. I like it, but after this box I don't think I'll need another one for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I'll have to be the first negative on the chocolate cherry. I bought one and thought it was horrible to the point that, after a couple more drinks to give it a fair chance to prove itself, I poured it down the drain.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.