• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bourdain is coming to Toronto

Barb

Indigo at Yonge & Eglinton December 4th at noon. Vancouver e-Gulleters rolled out the red carpet for him. Are there any plans to do the same here? We’re the Center of the Universe  :raz: Are we going to let them outdo us?

It appears we are!

I'm still not sure if I'm going to be in town that weekend. Anybody out there want to take the bull by the horns and PM Mr. Bourdain to see if he's even available and/ or interested? I'd do it but I'd feel a bit akward in the end if I needed to bow out. So, someone, anyone. Is there even enough interest among TO area egulleteers?

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

I'm in T.O. to stuff my face that weekend - my Fri plans are flexible but I'll be at the St. Lawrence Market Saturday morning and my Saturday dinner plans are a lock.

How many Eg'ers are in T.O that weekend?

1.) GordonCooks

2.)...?  Jake

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

ok, very much looking forward to saturday, albeit things would be a whole lot better if a meal event was organized. Very hard to top Vancouver I must say......quite jealous actually, but kudos to them.

"The world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those who feel." - Horace Walpole

I guess I can make it there on Saturday. So what do we do there? I suppose it's a book signing, do we just pickup the book there and have him signed?

I wonder how much Indigo's going to charge for the cookbook. Both indogo/chapters online and amazon.ca price is C$35. amazon.com price is $21=C$26+shipping.

I am certainly NOT paying the list price ($50) for a signature. :blink: For $35.. may be.

M

I guess I can make it there on Saturday. So what do we do there? I suppose it's a book signing, do we just pickup the book there and have him signed?

I wonder how much Indigo's going to charge for the cookbook. Both indogo/chapters online and amazon.ca price is C$35. amazon.com price is $21=C$26+shipping.

I am certainly NOT paying the list price ($50) for a signature.  :blink: For $35.. may be.

M

well you're going to pay $50 at the store. Their online prices are online only......Or you can buy it that day, get it signed, then order another copy online. When that copy arrives return it w/ the original receipt you kept.

When I was at the nigella lawson signing, they checked for indigo/chapters receipts. The signing was only applicable to customers purchasing the book from their stores.

I heard costco has the book for $30.

"The world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those who feel." - Horace Walpole

8am and 1pm tomorrow (Dec. 3rd).

I missed it too. :(

I actually got my VCR to work this time! I'm no big fan of CC, but this show was kinda fun to watch. I'll give her (or her staff) credit for being prepared for the "interview" ... she asked some pretty intelligent questions. One exception - she kept mispronouncing the name of the book (lay-all instead of laze-all. Tony looked tired! You TO people need to get the Red Bull into him early! Or at least some of that calvados!

A.

8am and 1pm tomorrow (Dec. 3rd).

I missed it too. :(

I actually got my VCR to work this time! I'm no big fan of CC, but this show was kinda fun to watch. I'll give her (or her staff) credit for being prepared for the "interview" ... she asked some pretty intelligent questions. One exception - she kept mispronouncing the name of the book (lay-all instead of laze-all. Tony looked tired! You TO people need to get the Red Bull into him early! Or at least some of that calvados!

A.

Actually, it is indeed pronounced "lay-AL". I used to think it was laze-all, until I was repeatedly corrected while in Paris.

I missed the show, too. :sad:

Actually, it is indeed pronounced "lay-AL".  I used to think it was laze-all, until I was repeatedly corrected while in Paris.

I missed the show, too.  :sad:

Yeah ... I had a small panic attack on my way into work (after I posted) when I remembered that! Nothing like making a blunder in front of the whole world to start your day!

A.

You are right.. Costco has it for $30.. I like the book enough I may get an extra copy for my buddy who just started to learn to cook and keep bugging me.. :wacko:

And Chapters offline is selling it at regular $50.

If I go to the signing tmow I will definitely do a double-switch :wink:

BTW, Bouchon's also at Costco for $50. (It's a much bigger book)

M

well you're going to pay $50 at the store. Their online prices are online only......Or you can buy it that day, get it signed, then order another copy online. When that copy arrives return it w/ the original receipt you kept.

I heard costco has the book for $30.

Or you can buy it that day, get it signed, then order another copy online. When that copy arrives return it w/ the original receipt you kept.

I guess that's only a small fraud. Hardly seems worth the effort to save 20 Canadian bucks.

I thought Bourdain's appearance on Christine Cushing rocked. I'm not sure I'd ever seen him actually cook before, but he works his knife as well as his mouth. (That was intended as a compliment!)

Some random thoughts about the show:

1. The episode was called "Bistro Classics", the recipes they cooked were all classics, and I understand that the book is all about the classics. There were only 3 callers that got through, and the first guy on this "classics" show asked about mango creme brulee. Dipshit! Blasphemer! What planet was he on? He probably thinks a remake of Casablanca would be a good idea.

2. Was it just me, or was Christine Gushing (or is that Cushing?)

3. I'm paraphrasing, but AB was sweating some really nice looking bacon and said that few foods will not be improved by the addition of pork product. The man could write a gospel with lines like that!

4. "Erotically gaping mussels." Amen! Tell it like it is, Brother!

5. "Hollandaise sauce can sense fear." Allelulia! I have seen the light! I'm going cowboy style next time.

The man is a Kitchen Prophet who has not lost his edge in the rush to popularism. The show was a commercial exercise to promote the book, but I'm sold. I don't have the time to stand in line to get it signed, nor to pull off complex $20-saving manoeuvres, but I'm going to find it somewhere cheap and buy one for me and two for friends.

And AB, if you're watching this thread, what do you think about Toronto? I know you loved Montreal, and my sense is that YUL is much more your speed that YYZ, but we'd all enjoy your impressions.

Cheers!

I guess that's only a small fraud.  Hardly seems worth the effort to save 20 Canadian bucks.

I agree ... go buy the damn book. Truly, it's worth it for just the text between the recipes. The recipes? Not a stinker in anything I've tried yet.

The man could write a gospel with lines like that!

If you read his stuff on eG, he's already said it a million times. He's even (reluctantly) given Emerill credit for rightfully promoting pork.

"Hollandaise sauce can sense fear."  Allelulia!  I have seen the light!  I'm going cowboy style next time.

Another quote from Les Halles

And AB, if you're watching this thread, what do you think about Toronto?  I know you loved Montreal, and my sense is that YUL is much more your speed that YYZ, but we'd all enjoy your impressions.

Typical TO :wink: You completely forget his time in YVR. While most of you slept through his visit, the people of Montreal and Vancouver showed him where the food and the food-lovers in this country really are. Better luck next time!

A.

Typical TO  You completely forget his time in YVR. While most of you slept through his visit, the people of Montreal and Vancouver showed him where the food and the food-lovers in this country really are. Better luck next time!

Typical YVR.

I'm not from TO, Daddy-A, so you'll have to direct your spleen elsewhere. The only reason that I referred to YUL is that he actually posted something about his visit there (while he seems to have remained silent about YVR).

Perhaps, after all, he was saying more about YVR that I had initially thought...

Typical TO  You completely forget his time in YVR. While most of you slept through his visit, the people of Montreal and Vancouver showed him where the food and the food-lovers in this country really are. Better luck next time!

Typical YVR.

I'm not from TO, Daddy-A, so you'll have to direct your spleen elsewhere.

Come now ... just having a little fun ... and my comments were directed more at Toronto in general than at you specifically. :rolleyes:

The only reason that I referred to YUL is that he actually posted something about his visit there (while he seems to have remained silent about YVR).

:laugh::laugh::laugh: He was too ... ummmm ... "partied-out" to reply. :raz:

In all seriousness, I'm really surprised at how silent this forum has been on AB's visit. Maybe we're all just a little more star-struck out here (gotta be excited about something without hockey after all), or maybe Toronto sees more of this sort of thing than we do, so they're a little blasé about it all. I'm just speculating really. Up thread a few people tried to get things going, but nobody ran with it. For us, it just took off on its own. Truth be told, AB's appearance was really just the icing on the whole evening. It would have been a blast even without him.

On the subject of food ... we still kick your ass! :raz::laugh:

A.

Edited by Daddy-A (log)

just got back in....Bourdain was in top form today, jokes were flying off the cuff left and right, interspersed w/ a heavy dosage of profanity (wooooo!). Best moment has to be his response to a Jamie Oliver question. To paraphrase......"If I was in prison, I would want him to be my cell mate. I would never have to worry about running out of cigarettes."

Talked to grill bitch for a little bit and she graceously signed our books. She mentioned they're going on a tour of oyster bars tonight.

My only complaint was his mic could've been louder. Plus people talking really loud when everybody else is trying to hear him speak.

Edited by aser (log)

Yeah, it was a pretty interesting session. Bourdain is a really great crowd pleaser I have to say, and pretty honest at it as well. Too bad I was half sober throughout the thing having to prep for my uni exams next week. Barely remember much of it now.