• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Knife sharpening services - North Jersey

I have alot of knives that need to be sharpened. I live in Montclair and would love to find a professional service that knows how to sharpen all kinds of kitchen knives. I've been told that Japanese knives need to be sharpened differently than German and American and since I have all kinds I'd like to bring my knives to a place that knows what they're doing. I tried a local hardware store once on some inexpensive knives just to see how they came out...they were fine but when I discussed Japanese knives they acted like I was speaking Japanese :blink:

And yes, I have read the eG course on knife sharpening but, honestly, I'd much rather someone else do it :biggrin:

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Your best resource is a restaurant. Call a few. Many have someone come in regularly for that purpose. The list below is from superpages. I believe a restaurant I worked at used Edge, but I don't know anything about them.

Cutters Edge

30 Years of Excellent & Reliable Service in Maintaining, Servicing, and Sales of all Blades, Saws, Knives, and Accessories. Sharpening Service

345 Lakeview Av, Clifton, NJ 07011

(973) 772-6887

Delsea Cutlery Service

115 South Main Street, Williamstown, NJ 08094

(856) 875-5100

http://www.justknives101.com

Edge Grinding Shop

388 Fairview Ave, Fairview, NJ 07022

(201) 943-4109

Just Knives

115 South Main Street, Williamstown, NJ 08094

(856) 875-5100

http://www.justknives101.com

I don't know how convenient it is for you, but I go to Chef Central on Route 17 north in Paramus (just before the Parkway exit). They sharpen by hand on a stone (not a grinder or machine) and can turn 4 knives around in 3 days. Sharpening all 5 (Chef's, bone, utility and paring knife) costs about $20.

I also ordered a system from razor's edge, to keep my knives sharp on my own. I'll let you know how it goes.

Here's that link if you are interested:

http://www.razoredgesystems.com

Edit: Fixed double post and comment about it. Rachel

Edited by Rachel Perlow (log)

I was also going to suggest Chef Central...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Thanks to all. I'm going to try justknives101 and will let you know how it goes. Oh, and BeerGut, let me know how you like the razor's edge system. I need something completely foolproof, though. I am mechanically-impaired. My husband thinks he does a good job :wub: but he really doesn't.

I've heard that Chef Central does knife sharpening and may give them a try when in the neighborhood... which is rarely. Will they do it while you wait or do you have to come back to pick up your knives?

Thanks again to everyone who responded. I love egullet.