• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Does Anyone Know for Sure what is in Box Wines?

DANYRAF

A topic that is avoided by all wine writers is box wines and what is in them. Since the 60 minutes report on the "French Paradox" in the early 90's the consumption of red wine has been up. I was a salesman for Gallo at the time and I sold 1 years worth of red jug wine in 2 months. The BATF last fall ordered tighter regulations on the labeling of bulk wines. It seems that wines that are labeled "and natural flavors" are not really wine at all. I'm told that they are very small amounts of wine combined with water and sugar to create a wine flavored product. If this is the case then many americans who have thought they they were extending their life by drinking two glasses a day of this stuff have really been consuming sugar water. How does this effect their health? When does this report come out?

(Edited by DANYRAF at 9:14 am on Aug. 16, 2001)

I heard, on a radio discussion, a writer state that some Australian wines-in-a-box are of good (not great) quality, and are capable of providing an enjoyer with excellent value and quite reasonable, even above-average-quality. Any first hand knowledge of this?

I found the original post more than a bit confusing with references to the French Paradox which may have as much to do with foie gras as red wine and to the BATF regulations for labeling bulk wines. None of that seemed to have much to do with boxed wines and moreover the naturally flavored drinks with only a wine base that I've seen are in bottles in my supermarkets, not in boxes. Hard to find the point of the post.

As for boxed wines. A good argument can be made that for a large volume of wine, the box with it's wine really in a collapsable bag inside the box, is better designed than a large jug bottle which will leave large volumes of wine left exposed to the air over a large surface area. Friends of ours who live in the south of France, often buy table wine of this quality in large 5 liter plastic jugs direct from the local "caves cooperative," although they do rebottle it in friendlier sizes in screw top bottles.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

• 3 months later...

Sorry, I have been away and did not follow up on this. My original post was simple. Since the 60 minutes report red wine consumption is way up in the USA. Many of these people are drinking box and jug wines that are labeled "and natural flavors". Many I these I am told are sugar water based - wine flavored product. How good is that fro your heart?