• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Internet Food Glossaries

lovebenton0

I don't know them all. Do you? Does anyone? French, Italian, Thai, Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Japanese, Chinese, African, Vietnamese, Southern US, basic and exotic . . . :wacko: The list goes on. :rolleyes:

I'm starting this thread as a resource. I have a couple of good glossary links I have used to start it off.

Tallyrand's professional techniques

epicurious dictionary

This was prompted by patti's post with a link to French culinary terms (with audio pronunciation :cool:) on mrsadm Is it OK to be here? thread to start this one.

Maybe you know of more culinary term links. Maybe you know more terms -- or you have a specific question about a culinary term that you can't locate elsewhere.

We don't have to stick with just links, do we? Jump in and ask. Jump in and explain.

We can get there from here. :wink:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Thank you for coming up with this topic, lovebenton! I happen to have a folder, to which I always refer, which contains glossaries on all manner of culinary delights, international, by type of food, etc.

:wink: Here is a group of my all-time favorite links:

Cook's Glossary

Medieval & Renaissance Culinary Terms

Asian food glossary

Asian vegetable thesaurus

The cook's thesaurus with pictures!

this is my absolute favorite!! :biggrin:

The fish glossary

Sushi dictionary

Indian food glossary

Italian food glossary

Mexican food glossary

New Orleans food glossary

The complete spice index (by country here!)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Thanks you guys... Cook's Thesaurus is my favorite, too.

I especially appreciate the region specific links. I get really frustrated sometimes because my language skills are so bad. (2 years Latin in HS, 3 years French, multiple Spanish lessons haven't made a dent.) In some of the regional forums (fora? :biggrin: ) it is really hard to understand what is going on when a translation for a term or a dish is not furnished. If folks would do that more, maybe some of us block heads would learn something.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

In some of the regional forums (fora? :biggrin: ) it is really hard to understand what is going on

My own particular translating to English problems appear mostly in the New Orleans forum ... :laugh: until I get them translated? I harrass Mayhaw Man until he gives in and offers assistance ... :hmmm:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

What a neat topic. I have already added it to my "subscriptions" list so I won't lose track of it.

I have several, many of which duplicate GGs. But I think these are different.

BBC food glossary

Petit food glossary.

Italian food glossary

Japan food glossary

India Tastes food glossary

and

Gernot Katzer's spice glossary

Which I find particularly helpful when trying to get a different flavor in a certain food.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Thank you for coming up with this topic, lovebenton! I happen to have a folder, to which I always refer, which contains glossaries on all manner of culinary delights, international, by type of food, etc.

:wink: Here is a group of my all-time favorite links:

Cook's Glossary

Medieval  & Renaissance Culinary Terms

Asian food glossary

Asian vegetable thesaurus

The cook's thesaurus with pictures!

this is my absolute favorite!! :biggrin:

The fish glossary

Sushi dictionary

Indian food glossary

Italian food glossary

Mexican food glossary

New Orleans food glossary

The complete spice index (by country here!)

Wow! Thanks a million for the links. As a food writer, I often need to check the spelling or description of ingredients. I've bookmarked this page. Thanks again

CG

Thanks to everyone for jumping in so quickly! :biggrin: The additional links from GG and andiesenji are great!

I searched all over the other day to figure what the hell was in advieh to make eggplant Torshi! Ended up having to refer to about four different sources that sell the product, but it varies, of course, and I need a beat on the one that seems most appropriate. :unsure: I'm going to love the spice/taste index/glossaries from you both. :wub:

And a pic Thesaurus -- what a boon. :biggrin:

Yeah, gonna have drag Mayhaw Man into this this sooner or later! :laugh:

Judith Love

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

In some of the regional forums (fora? :biggrin: ) it is really hard to understand what is going on

My own particular translating to English problems appear mostly in the New Orleans forum ... :laugh: until I get them translated? I harrass Mayhaw Man until he gives in and offers assistance ... :hmmm:

You mean like "panee" (pan-NAY)? Or something more compicated than that? :laugh::raz:

I think that the problem with New Orleans is that we, really, don't speak much English here.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I especially appreciate the region specific links. I get really frustrated sometimes because my language skills are so bad. (2 years Latin in HS, 3 years French, multiple Spanish lessons haven't made a dent.) In some of the regional forums (fora? :biggrin: ) it is really hard to understand what is going on when a translation for a term or a dish is not furnished. If folks would do that more, maybe some of us block heads would learn something.

I have this problem too!

My worst are the French terms, people jsut through these around like we should all know them! :biggrin: I definitely need to check out the one with the pronunciation guide, I spent a week this summer with my sister and her French (from Strausburg) husband nd he got the biggest kick out of listening to us destroy his language.... I never really realized just how many words we use are actually French....

Over in the Japan Forum I try to use the Japanese word as much as possible (with the English in parantheses) so get people used to hearing (ok, reading!) it.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

This was prompted by patti's post with a link to French culinary terms (with audio pronunciation  :cool:) on mrsadm Is it OK to be here? thread to start this one.

I haven't yet had the nerve to start my own thread at eGullet, but to have inspired a thread feels pretty good. :wub: I'm having fun exploring the links that others have contributed; thanks for thinking of this, lovebenton0! I'm sure I'll be returning to this thread again and again.

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

This was prompted by patti's post with a link to French culinary terms (with audio pronunciation  :cool:) on mrsadm Is it OK to be here? thread to start this one.

I haven't yet had the nerve to start my own thread at eGullet, but to have inspired a thread feels pretty good. :wub: I'm having fun exploring the links that others have contributed; thanks for thinking of this, lovebenton0! I'm sure I'll be returning to this thread again and again.

Oh no, let me thank you, patti! :biggrin:

Judith Love

You mean like "panee" (pan-NAY)? Or something more compicated than that? :laugh::raz:

I think that the problem with New Orleans is that we, really, don't speak much English here.

Since you've peeped in now, Mayhaw Man . . . . :wink:

Want to explain roux for us?

Any other basic terms concerning Cajun cooking?

Yes, you can talk about okra. :raz::laugh:

Judith Love

• 11 months later...

I've been lurking around the forums and realized that there really is a language to food and the more terminology I learn the better I can describe an experience with friends. So I was hoping to get a little online glossary started which people can search on egullet. I did a search using the google engine and came up with nothing like this already in existance. If there is something already in existance please merge this thread into it so we can have a nice list!

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Fork Tender

- So soft that it takes only the gentlest pressure to piece with your fork.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

• 8 months later...

Good find!

A couple of other good ones are at <a href ="http://www.practicallyedible.com/">Practically Edible</a> and <a href = "http://food.oregonstate.edu/glossary/a.html">Oregon State</a>

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

These are really wonderful! Thank you.

"Practically Edible" gives its sources and credits the writer, like any good reference book. Has anyone been able to figure out the sources and credits for the Hormel site? And why oh why does Hormel have this resource (along with some more under the "knowledge" drop-down menu. Who is their audience? or Who do they think their audience is?

Emily

Happy Feasting

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

• 6 months later...

There is a great glossary of French food terms and their English meanings, from none other than Patricia Wells <a href = "http://www.patriciawells.com/glossary/french_english_food_glossary.pdf" >HERE</a>

Happy Feasting