• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Steak In Vancouver

dodger

Windsor could be a good source for smaller amounts, but let me try it tonight and I'll report back. With a 65lb case, the only suggestion I would have would be splitting it between MANY MANY members and then freezing. Say 10 members taking 6-7lbs each. It's still alot of meat, but if it is something that we can't get fairly easily and it is as good as it is rumoured to be, I'm willing. I know my mom and my dad would also be game. (They both have very large freezers. I don't) **Also, I'm not a big proponent of freezing steak, but if it's done in a deep freeze and it's wrapped well, it tends be OK.**

I'm in for 10-12 lbs. Neil. Should provide for a pleasant Sunday breakfast when the rugby lads drop by for the weekly Seahawks debacle. If more than four show up though--well, they'll just have to do with scrambed eggs, won't they.

J.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

OK...So it was just a skirt steak :angry: Neil, I'll take at least 10lbs. The steak was good, but I would expect that a hanger wouldn't be quite as tough as a skirt.

I really need to lay off the beef for a while. I haven't eaten in a month and all I've had to eat this week is steak :shock:

I would imagine it would come in frozen. I have no insight just a guess based on only 1 per cattle etc.

Just checked with my old Intercity guy...it might be one per cattle...but we are talking about a 24 to 36 ounce cut of meat here.....$3.00 per is about right....lots to go around!!!! EGorge...EGorge....EGorge...

John

Chef:

There are still 3 or 4 Kegs on the Intercity program....still the best...always has been...obviously you think so ...as you use them....of course I'm only basing this on 15 years as a supplier...but Icould be wrong!! That sounded so mean...not my intention...still curious as to how you might go about tenderly, preparing our new favourite cut...(The hangar...hanger...??)...just for the sake of it....I'm not saying that 39 eGulleters are going to show up at 7:30 on Thursday of this week....just curious???

Well........

J

Edited by dodger (log)

It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Hunter S. Thompson ---- R.I.P. 1939 - 2005

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."

--Mark Twain

A hanger steak is 10 - 12oz each; one per cow.

I would bet my left spatula that the hanger steaks from Cargill only have 14 days age on them. I can guarantee you will not get a good chew until the meat is aged another 20 - 30 days, something I would never recommend in a home refrigerator...

Chef/Owner/Teacher

LOL! It hurts....

Read the entree for the Campanile Restaurant's Bourdain Dinner!!! Can it be true?

First Course

Onion soup Les Halles

or

Frisée aux lardons

Second Course

Foie gras aux pruneaux

or

Moules à la portugaise

Main Course

served with gratin dauphinois and haricots verts

Onglet gascon

or

Veal tongue with Madeira

or

Skate grenobloise

or

Poulet roti

Dessert

Tarte alsacienne

or

Chocolate mousse

$75

Les Halles Cookbook $34.95

Chef/Owner/Teacher

I just looked at my curriculum from culinary school and we did a venison steak that was hung in our walk in weeks prior to that day. Do hanger steaks only come from beef? I'll be seeing my chef instructors today so I will ask about this. They also may be interested in getting "onglet" whatever that may be. I'm a bit confused on this subject.

This is what we did with it, after its hanging, it was dry rubbed with crushed juniper berries, mignonette pepper, coriander seeds, touch of sugar, salt. Rendered 1 rasher of bacon to sear steak at low temp. We served it with a blackberry sauce, a roasted garlic flan, and turned carrots. I remember it being quite delicious.

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

Something happened when I posted my message and I don't know how to delete my postings. Although it said "error". Sorry for posting three times.

Edited by butter (log)

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

I just looked at my curriculum from culinary school and we did a venison steak that was hung in our walk in weeks prior to that day. Do hanger steaks only come from beef? I'll be seeing my chef instructors today so I will ask about this. They also may be interested in getting "onglet" whatever that may be. I'm a bit confused on this subject.

This is what we did with it, after its hanging, it was dry rubbed with crushed juniper berries, mignonette pepper, coriander seeds, touch of sugar, salt. Rendered 1 rasher of bacon to sear steak at low temp. We served it with a blackberry sauce, a roasted garlic flan, and turned carrots. I remember it being quite delicious.

Do not quote me on this, but I beleive the first hanger (butcher) steak came from the ox, when cattle became more abundant it switched over.

Chef/Owner/Teacher

There are still 3 or 4 Kegs on the Intercity program....still the best...always has been...obviously you think so ...as you use them....of course I'm only basing this on 15 years as a supplier...but Icould be wrong!! That sounded so mean...not my intention...still curious as to how you might go about tenderly, preparing our new favourite cut...(The hangar...hanger...??)...just for the sake of it....I'm not saying that 39 eGulleters are going to show up at 7:30 on Thursday of this week....just curious???

I am not sure how many Kegs are on the Intercity Program. I know it was a big blow to Intercity to lose them a few years back. I do know that most of the stores ( all of the corperate stores and most franchises ) are on a meat program with their broadline distributor. In Vancouver , that means Sysco for the Kegs.

I am an old Keg guy and I do like the Intercity Program. I was always able to get any issues cleared up asap as they were right here in town. I remember when the Keg made the big announcement in about 1989 or so

" We are now using Triple A Beef " - it was a big deal. Lots of internal promotion and stuff. It only might have been me but I thought to myself " then what the heck have we been using ? " Never got a clear response on that question.

I will post when the hanger steak arives and will research what to do with it and will be able to tell how much re-working it will need once it arrives.

Dear peppyre - I am sorry that you were hoodwinked with a skirt steak. Judging from the resistance I am getting re: Hanger steak , I would imagine lots of people are getting the same treatment.

Dear Dodger , stand up and indentify yourself. If you have 15 years experience as a supplier, you should rank yourself amongst the professionals. You notice that we all post with our identity clear.

Ie: d.hawksworth

nwyles

Chef Fowke

and the thinly veneered JamieMaw

etc.

Neil

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Hi Neil:

Are you still looking for 'takers' on the hangar steak order? I am definitely in on this one. I am going to try and contact the restaurant in Brooklyn and get their recipe. Just have to hunt out my notes to remember the name of the restaurant first. Mind and memory isn't what it used to be.

Cheers,

Karole

Hi Neil, if possible count me in for 5lbs of hanger steak as well .. . just have to find some recipes to play with.. looking forward to any ideas!

DANIELLE

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."

-Virginia Woolf

• 8 months later...

The hanger is back !

After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, we have some more hanger in the building. I am surprised at the difficulty in getting this. I certainly have demonstrated the ability to sell this obscure piece of meat in huge volume, you would think it would be easy.

Anyways, starting tonight, hanger steak will be back on the menu at the HSG.

I do not have enough to do little side deals for you all this time but I will let you know when I have a larger shipment at my disposal.

Neil

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

The hanger is back !

I do not have enough to do little side deals for you all this time but I will let you know when I have a larger shipment at my disposal.

Neil

See you tomorrow!

The hanger is back !

After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, we have some more hanger in the building. I am surprised at the difficulty in getting this. I certainly have demonstrated the ability to sell this obscure piece of meat in huge volume, you would think it would be easy.

Neil

at the risk of shocking everyone around here, i've never had this famed hanger. :blush:

i think i need to get my butt down there in the next week. see you soon!

Quentina

Sorry, I can't sell hanger steak to anyone with less that 50 posts !

You better get typing !

Mark Tigges has his reservation for hanger steak. I unfortunatly will be away on Friday night but my good friend Brian Fowke ( Chef Fowke ) will be at the stoves.

You will be in great hands !

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

Despite my low post count, our gracious nwyles happily served up his Hanger special on our table tonight. I believe that for me the question of "Best Steak In Vancouver" has at least in the near term been definitively answered. It wasn't Neal at the grill but it was great. Huge depth of beefy flavour, earthy mushroom in the sauce. Really good beef. I have posted in another thread about purchasing Hanging Tender, this thread made me believe that I possibly had bought something that was merely ascribed as such. But, I think I had the real thing. Neal showed me tonight that a bias slice, and proper trimming is key to making this cut shine.

It was nice to meet Neal. A gracious host, and my wife loves his charm. We were lucky that he was able to come by the restaurant tonight. A very enjoyable night out. Have the hanger if you haven't.

Mark.

Oh and that GBP really isn't too bad at all.

Chef Neil's hanger steak is the best! If, however, you would prefer a night in, you can have an almost comparable experience by whipping up a recipe on Epicurious called "Pan Seared Fillet Mignon with Cabernet Sauce". Fast, simple and everyone I've ever served it to has asked for the recipe. Simply marvellous!

Chef Neil's hanger steak is the best!  If, however, you would prefer a night in, you can have an almost comparable experience by whipping up a recipe on Epicurious called "Pan Seared Fillet Mignon with Cabernet Sauce".  Fast, simple and everyone I've ever served it to has asked for the recipe.  Simply marvellous!

Ditto! :biggrin: