• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vin Sur Vin

Laidback

This small restaurant received a Michelin star last year and even though we have spent 3 Spring and Falls within a short walk from it, this trip was the first time we gave it a try. Patrice Vidal is the proud owner and is dedicated to his metier. The name is a tribute to his enormous(over600) collection and passion for French wine. He only accepts 5 tables for lunch and 7 for dinner in order to assure personal attention to each guest. His chef, Pascal Toulza, has been with him for about 7 yrs, if my well vinified memory is correct, and was formerly with Passard at Arpege. There are comfortable upholstered chairs and the decor is pleasant overall with yellow and blue colors and white wainscoting. Our entrées were delicately marinated Coquille St. Jacques and lightly tempuraed langoustines which had been sautéed a perfect fraction above bleu and served with a croquant filled with an avocado coulis...extraordinary. The mains were a magnificent cote de veau served lightly pink as we had requested and a braised souris d'agneau served with a brochette of sliced turnips,beets and onions. M. Vidal recommended an excellent Madiran which was not something I would have considered, in fact he steered me away from a more expensive Crozes Hermitage. Dessert was an unusual and very generous millefeuille of chocolate. Our total bill for 3 people including champagne, Chateldon mineral water, and coffee was €276. There is no prix fixe menu, everything is à la carte. We look forward to a return next Spring when there will be a change of menu based on the season.