• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Must have Achaar

deliad

I could have added this in the existing thread of indian spices but wanted to highlight the extraordinary taste of this mixed pickle.

Just 2 dollars for almost 2 lbs of outstanding mixed achaar is a real value for anyone, especially the bargain crazy Indians.

I am talking about this Pachranga Achaar. Literally translated, Pachranga means five colors and I think they mean five main ingredients; mango, carrots, limes, lotus stems and green chillies and of course, delas and Indian gooseberries and all the achaari masalas.

I dont know why but the best mixed achaars that I have had in my life have been consumed at the gurudwaras (Sikh temple), which I visited with some of my sikh friends. All sikh temples have a community lunch called Langar in which the food always tastes good and will always be accompanied by a mixed achaar. It is heavenly :raz::raz:

This particular brand reminds me of that same flavor. It is a sure bet to enhance any food that you may consume.

Try it if you haven't and share if you have.

Cheers,

Edited by deliad (log)

Pachranga is my favourite too and I find it offbeat from the rest of pickles. It's not very chilli hot nor red in colour. I usually finish off the lotus root slices first. :rolleyes: Must order some tomorrow.

Yes me too on the kamal-kakdi (Lotus root) another favourite of mine is bamboo picklr baans ka Aachar, made in Haridwar by this store who go back few generations doing aachar and other spice related stuff.

anil

We can buy the tin wholesale at a little over $ 1.00 so it IS a great deal.

I love the stuff, strange that I bought a tin(can) after a long time, just as this thread started. Two observations.

Storage/shelf life- normally pickles are supposed to last a while at room temp but this pickle did not with mildew after a week or so, which was strange considering its acidic nature. So refrigerate.

Taste & texture- this pickle was still fantastic but somehow the 'masalla' seemed to be kind of thin, runny and watery and the the taste seemed a bit vinegary from what I remember in the past.

has someone noticed this too?

Still the best to go with aloo puri/bhatura. Yum!

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

Very rarely it has lasted to see the light after 2 weeks or so and one of the reasons it does not last very long is that we use it as a sabzi (almost). But I have never experienced mildew or anything. We usually transfer it to a very airtight plastic/glass jar of mayo or coffee or something (cleaned of course) and never had any issues. But refrigeration is good idea though

Regarding the masalla, yes it is runny as compared with other traditional achaars but I guess that is a product feature because it is not sun-baked for long time.

Cheers

We can buy the tin wholesale at a little over $ 1.00 so it IS a great deal.

I love the stuff, strange that I bought a tin(can) after a long time, just as this thread started. Two observations.

Storage/shelf life- normally pickles are supposed to last a while at room temp but this pickle did not with mildew after a week or so, which was strange considering its acidic nature. So refrigerate.

Taste & texture- this pickle was still fantastic but somehow the 'masalla' seemed to be kind of thin, runny and watery and the the taste seemed a bit vinegary from what I remember in the past.

has someone noticed this too?

Still the best to go with aloo puri/bhatura. Yum!

I went and procured 4 jars of Pachranga pickle. I had to buy 4 from a huge cash & carry to avail of a discount, (I am genealogically handicapped and can't resist a bargain). :laugh:

It took me a half hour of contemplating to decide that it would be egg curry that would best showcase the pickle. So that's what I did, 4 phulkas, egg curry and the Pachranga bottle on the side. I normally eat 2 phulkas for dinner but every now and then some new thing in the bottle showed itself. And the lotus root hasnt even turned up yet, I guess it's much easier from the can. This one is thicker than the can brand.

I suspect I might make a midnight trip to me fridge to whack some more with a slice of bread. :rolleyes:

Here are the ingredients:

Mother's Recipe(Brand) Punjabi Pachranga Pickle

Carrot

Ginger

Chillies

Karvanda

Lotus root

Lime

Mango

Oil

Spices and condiments

Asafoetida

salt

Over the next few days I am going to make Chole bhature, Rajma Chawal, Shalgam and Delhi Railway station style - Puri aloo sabji.

All this to eat the pickle.

Then I have to find a Gurdwara to eat at a Langhar. Deliad, what have you done to me? :huh:

Edited by Episure (log)

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

Over the next few days I am going to make Chole bhature, Rajma Chawal, Shalgam and Delhi Railway station style - Puri aloo sabji.

All this to eat the pickle.

Then I have to find a Gurdwara to eat at a Langhar. Deliad, what have you done to me?  :huh:

How can you NOT make paranthas to eat this achaar. Aloo parantha, Gobhi parantha, Mooli parantha, Pyaaz parantha and Missa parantha (eat this one stale when it is 1 or 2 days old for better flavor) with this achaar and fresh white butter. Wash that down with namkeen lassi.

Balle Balle...

:biggrin::biggrin:

How can you NOT make paranthas to eat this achaar. Aloo parantha, Gobhi parantha, Mooli parantha, Pyaaz parantha and Missa parantha (eat this one stale when it is 1 or 2 days old for better flavor) with this achaar and fresh white butter. Wash that down with namkeen lassi.

Balle Balle...

:biggrin:  :biggrin:

Alas, I did that trip last week without pachranga. Stop this or else I'll have to make a trip to Amritsar. Khamokha!

Deliad,

After a week of eating Pachranga, I'm finally sated. I also found a piece of cauliflower which is not unwelcome but it was not mentioned in the list of ingredients.

Since there were very few lotus root slices and lots of 'juice' left over, I added fresh ones to augment the pickle.

Have you all had any experiences of 'stretching' a pickle?

pickle.jpg

Oh, Yeah.. stretching a pickle..My Mom always did that. Since most achaars have a lot of masala and when all the big pieces have gone, she will add atleast 3 things..small green chilies with a small slit, chunks of ginger root and lots of garlic pods. Just leave them for a 2-3 days in that masala, preferably in sun and you have doubled your money.

Cheers,