• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Turkey Leftovers

Deborah

Turkey pot pie with shiitakes

Turkey Tettrazini

Turkey Marsala

Of course, turkey sandwiches!

I'm going to try a recipe I just came across for cranberry mousse dessert, made with leftover cranberry sauce which sounds pretty good.

Hope all had a good Thanksgiving!

Laurie

ALL the white meat goes to sandwiches. All of it. The rest of the carcass always goes to soup.

Turkey sandwich on nice fresh bread with lots of cracked pepper, mayo, lettuce, tomato, BACON. Oh yeah.

I'm with you, Jason. But, I use more than the leftover white meat on the sandwich. I mix the raw cranberry dressing with some good mustard and good olive oil, then I run the breast through our meat grinder. Mix that up, place on a good, long roll with some big cheese, sharp greens, and black pepper and broil til the cheese is good and browned.

Wow. Makes me hibernate til Christmas.

Edited by jsolomon (log)

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I just had an interesting leftover concoction:

I took a Yuba sheet (tofu skin) added some shredded turkey meat, some collard greens, a bit of cranberry sauce, and some gravey. I rolled it up egg-roll style, dipped in beated egg, and pan fried till crispy, then poured some Texas Pete overtop. So Turkey Egg Roll. Pretty tasty.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I do a sort of hash as well. Use left-over gravy and fry shredded turkey and left-over stuffing til everything's thoroughly permeated with the gravy.

Also, one of my new favorite things, even better than pot pie, turkey savory pudding. Be sure to top the thing with cubed bread before baking. Good sourdough is best, but anything'll do.

I made crusty rounds of Italian bread yesterday afternoon while I was concocting a batch of Turkey and Andouille Gumbo. The carcass from the turkey, which had been brined and cooked on the Weber, made an awesome stock and gave the soup a nice, smoky taste. I cooked a huge batch of Jasmine Rice to which I added garlic juice (the best part about that prechopped, basically flavorless, garlic that comes in the little jars-the juice is worth the purchase price!)

I fed 8 teenagers and three adults this stuff and there was nothing, nothing I tell you, left. Bread was used to scrape the bottom of the pot, and they were asking for more. A total success.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Brooks--the oyster & cornbread dressing was KILLER. BUT, reheated in the oven is good, but is there anything else you think we could do to use it all up before it gets bad? We made a lot and only had 3 people eating, so we have half an 11x13" pyrex left!

I made crusty rounds of Italian bread yesterday afternoon while I was concocting a batch of Turkey and Andouille Gumbo. The carcass from the turkey, which had been brined and cooked on the Weber, made an awesome stock and gave the soup a nice, smoky taste. I cooked a huge batch of Jasmine Rice to which I added garlic juice (the best part about that prechopped, basically flavorless, garlic that comes in the little jars-the juice is worth the purchase price!)

I fed 8 teenagers and three adults this stuff and there was nothing, nothing I tell you, left. Bread was used to scrape the bottom of the pot, and they were asking for more. A total success.

I need to make a trip down to Louisiana! That gumbo sounds lip-smackin' gooood!

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Freeze it in precut portions. It freezes great. Just bag the stuff in portions in zip locks and pull and nuke when the urge hits you.

Also, I know that this is going to sound kind of "he's Southern, they fry everything", but after you have fried a little bacon for breakfast, put a slice of that dressing in the pan and crisp it up a bit. Awesome!

Glad that you enjoyed it.

Brooks--the oyster & cornbread dressing was KILLER.  BUT, reheated in the oven is good, but is there anything else you think we could do to use it all up before it gets bad?  We made a lot and only had 3 people eating, so we have half an 11x13" pyrex left!

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I make a layered casserole,

layer of dressing

layer of chunked turkey

ladle on some gravy

layer of cranberry sauce

repeat

bake at 300 degrees for 35 minutes

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

So yesterday foodtutor said "look we have wonton wraps". To which I replied

"and we have turkey!". To which she replied "That's what I was thinking."

A little shredded turkey, left over cornbread stuffing, wonton wraps, homemade cranberry sauce, and a deep fryer.

turkey_meez.jpg

Just mix stuffing with turkey and stick it in a wonton.

wonton_step1.jpg

wonton_step2.jpg

wontons.jpg

Pretty tasty! :biggrin:

"Success is the sum of alot of small things done correctly."

-- Fernand Point

This years meal was a roast turkey with garlic, rosemary and prosciutto(yummy!). So besides several sandwiches :biggrin: I made a cheese tortellini with a cheese sauce and chopped up turkey and prosciutto and put in in the sauce and it was really good! Served with garlic bread and red wine. Ahhhhhhh post turkey day bliss!

Jason, your sandwich looks like it want to eat me.

We have a ton of left overs this year. My family left a ton of meat still on the carcass, so a really meaty congee is in order. There's enough sliced meat for a few sammies, and quite frankly, I don't really know what to do with the rest. They'll probably end up getting steamed with the rice. Wontons sound like a great idea too. Thanks for that, lambfries.

• 7 years later...

I have a lot of mashed taters and turkey to do something with as it was just myself and my daughter this year and of course I cooked like a fool anyway.

I'm thinking:

mashed taters = clam chowder and/or potato/leek soup

Turkey dark meat = dumplings in a turkey stew

Turkey white meat = mayo/pepper/ cranberry sauce/turkey sandwiches (must have these) and/or open faced turkey and gravy sandwiches

What creative things do egulleter's do besides re-plate the thanksgiving meal?

Leftover mashed potatoes are always good for a shepards pie (with meat or vegs of your choice, doesn't have to be turkey) or fish cakes.

As for the leftover turkey, I've used it to make b'stilla, a phyllo pie filled with moroccan spiced chicken or turkey. Save some drippings to make the creamy sauce that binds it together. There's a photo of my first b'stilla in the topic Cooking with Dorie Greenspan's Around my French Kitchen.

Here are links to 2 older topics that have some pretty interesting ideas:

I generally pull the meat or roughly cube it and stir fry it with onions, garlic, and various vegetables. Served with rice or the leftover mashed made into pan-fried potato cakes. The homemade cranberry sauce is served alongside to be eaten with some of the bites. I love Dijon mustard so I thin that with a bit of cream or sour cream/yogurt and use that as a sauce to dribble on as well. If in the mood for salad I use the turkey as the poultry in a Chinese chicken salad.