• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Turkey Leftovers

Deborah

+1 for Turkey Chili.

I also like to make turkey, stuffing, and cranberry sauce empanadas in plantain dough.

ETA - I don't know how you United-Statesians do it, though. I couldn't handle two major turkey-oriented feast days so close together.

Edited by Panaderia Canadiense (log)

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

"ETA - I don't know how you United-Statesians do it, though. I couldn't handle two major turkey-oriented feast days so close together."

Agreed, hence the 'creative' part.

Made my mashed clam chowder last night, came out pretty tasty. Used two thick bacon slices, 3 6.5oz cans of clams(including liquid) and a jar of clam broth, medium onion, about 2 cups of mashed, couple bay leaves, and a good jigger of fish sauce.

Tonight will be the thanksgiving-like mayo/cran/pepper/white meat sandwiches, love them. Then I think I'll try one of the suggestions posted here.

I'm going to make a nice turkey curry salad for sandwiches. Chopped turkey meat in good-size chunks, mayo, curry powder, ras el hanout powder, green onions, red grapes and sliced almonds.

Of course, some of the best leftovers are a second Thanksgiving dinner on Friday. You can see my full menu here, http://forums.egulle...it/page__st__60, but I didn't care for some of the dishes so leftovers were just turkey, stuffing and a fresh gravy made with slow-cooked turkey necks and lots of vegetables. One twist I added to the plate was a nice rasher of crisp turkey skin. My Mother didn't let us gorge on the skin when we were kids, but oh is it good. Just cut off a slice of leftover skin and crisp it in a hot oven.

The cranberry sauce will be a nice condiment for all sorts of upcoming roasted meats.

002.JPG

I think the carcass is a great base for some soup.

Any leftover meat that doesn't get consumed with the stuffing and other sides is great in sandwiches on white bread. I know that is kinda lame but is so nostalgic for me. Mayonnaise or mustard.

And a wing is going to flavor a pot of beans tomorrow.

SOUP.....we had a very basic meal, so what's left is turkey, stuffing (made with sausage....baked in a pan), gravy, and I made a good pot of soup base from the carcass.

The liquid went into a "mexican style" soup with corn, a roasted poblano, onion, chopped turkey , some chile powder. Topped with a lightly fried corn tortilla. Excellent if I do say so.

Second soup is "asian" with soy sauce, ginger, dry mushrooms, turkey, bok choi, rice vinegar. It may get some rice noodles. Not "real" asian....but I think it will be good.....I'll keep tweaking till it suits me.

We'll keep eating on the meat and stuffing and gravy and I've made up little meals for the freezer. Sometimes that is the best leftover, a reminder meal for a busy night.

I tried adding a couple of smoked turkey wings to the carcass pot when making stock and the next day I cooked red beans 'n' rice using the smokey stock. Yummy, but the wings I got were saltier even than ham shanks, so I had to soak some of the saltiness out before cooking. One smoked wing plus a carcass would probably be enough in the future. For anyone who doesn't eat pork or red meat this is a great way to make RBs n R.

Leftover mashed potatoes, stuffing, and gravy get eaten as they are because there is nothing better...and since I have to wait a full year to have them again, I do nothing to dilute the purity of their deliciousness.

Depending on how much turkey is leftover, it goes into hot turkey sandwiches, turkey salad, creamed turkey on biscuits, etc.

But the best part is turkey soup from the carcass. I do a variation on Huntley Dent's turkey soup and make meatballs with (bought) ground turkey, spiced up with jalapenos, cumin, garlic and oregano. The broth has shredded zucchini, onions, garlic and rice, sometimes garbanzos, and all the shredded meat that comes off the carcass. It is the apotheosis of turkey, the broth gets extra turkey richness and the bite of the jalapenos is just perfect. Delicious. I've been known to make it throughout the year with chicken stock if no turkey is available.

We had Cornish game hen for turkey day. So, last night I chopped the leftovers up and added it to my chicken and noodle sauce--minus the noodles--along with mushrooms and fresh green beans. Then, I pressed leftover stuffing into a pie plate, poured the meat sauce over and topped with a puff pastry crust. Leftover mashed taters on the side.

That sounds pretty tasty Shelby. Clever usage of the ingredients. I'll have to try something like that!

After the leftover turkey-wing flavored the pot of beans I shredded the meat into a container and ate the gelatinous skin yum-yum. Now I'm making something along the lines of turkey and dumplings with it. That'll be the last of the leftovers and the one lowly turkey wing has already been a participant in three meals. If there is any of the soup left over it'll be made into a turkey-pot pie served in some large ramekins. Don't think I can stretch it much further than that. :raz:

One of my childhood memories of after xmas is cold turkey, chips and beans with vinegar on the chips(fries for the americans not those kind of chips of course) - amazing :-)

Curry and soup are always good. I also make a thai fried rice with cold cooked basmati rice with a few veg, onion garlic and then soy, fish sauce and chilli powder you could throw the turkey in that.

As for mash I would make potato croquettes or use them as a binder for fishcakes.

Edited by pacman1978 (log)

Tonight we will have shredded smoked turkey in barbeque sauce and poutine using what's left of the gravy.

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Chow had this video (http://www.chow.com/videos/show/chow-tips/128387/what-to-do-with-leftover-stuffing) demonstrating how you can turn leftover stuffing into a waffle -- this seems like genius to me! Crusty stuffing goodness... I only wish I had a) leftover stuffing and b) a waffle maker. Sigh...

Speaking of waffles...

a friend often hosts a day-after-Thanksgiving waffle dinner. Leftover turkey and gravy on waffles. The tradition was new to me, but I've become fond of it.

One of my French cookbooks by chef Yves Camdeborde has a recipe for waffles made with instant potato flakes, used as a base for smoked salmon. Clever, it's one of those things that's stuck in my head to try one of these days. I'll bet someone could figure out how leftover mashed potatoes could be used to make waffles.

I like to use the leftover turkey and carcass to make Brunswick stew. Break up the carcass and roast the pieces with salt and pepper until very brown. Simmer roasted carcass in turkey stock (home made or a box), Strain out bones and add chopped onion, celery, tomato, a can of corn and some frozen lima beans. Simmer for a half hour with a couple of bay leaves. Season to taste. Add chopped turkey meat, simmer 15 minutes more. Better the next day.

• 6 years later...

So took a free turkey breast from the freezer last weekend, roasted it and neither John nor his sister ate it.   OK then.... we did eat on some of the breast with (almost) their mom's sausage stuffing and a good sweet potato casserole during the week.  I ate Rachels and turkey sandwiches with cranberry relish on thin white bread.

Now, John has gone up to climb ice in the Adirondacks so the last of the breast will be split between a small turkey pot pie with fresh carrots and some roasted sweet potatoes and a small turkey tetrazzini without the mushrooms

Now I am ready for something else..

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

4 hours ago, suzilightning said:

So took a free turkey breast from the freezer last weekend, roasted it and neither John nor his sister ate it.   OK then.... we did eat on some of the breast with (almost) their mom's sausage stuffing and a good sweet potato casserole during the week.  I ate Rachels and turkey sandwiches with cranberry relish on thin white bread.

Now, John has gone up to climb ice in the Adirondacks so the last of the breast will be split between a small turkey pot pie with fresh carrots and some roasted sweet potatoes and a small turkey tetrazzini without the mushrooms

Now I am ready for something else..

I have to ask:  Why no mushrooms?

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have to ask:  Why no mushrooms?

I had a bit of a bad reaction to mushrooms a couple of months ago and I am taking a bit of a break but will judiciously add them back in a while.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 1 year later...

Bump!

This year I made 4 Turkey Thighs. Thigh #1 was for Thanksgiving (just the two of us). Thigh #2 has been divided for a T Day repeat and Turkey Salad. Thighs #3 and #4 gave me 3 cups of chopped meat to be used for soup and pot pie. Thigh bones and some of the skin has gone into a pot with some concentrated turkey stock and several cups of water to make the broth for the soup.

How are you planning to use your leftover turkey this year?