• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Les Caprices de Nicolas

Luna Calvados

I am going up to Montreal with my husband and some friends for the Thanksgiving Day Holiday and have dinner reservations at "Les Caprices de Nicolas." Although several members have given it positive reviews (carswell: "probably the city's best 'French' restaurant"; Lesley C: "I would definitely second Les Caprices de Nicolas. I have no problem agreeing that it's Montreal's top French restaurant, and it really is far from stodgy food-wise."), I have recent reports from friends who ate there and complained about the casual, unprofessional service, lack of availability of wines on the wine list, etc. Has anyone eaten there recently? And what was your experience of the quality of the service and the meal?

The last time that we ate at "Les Caprices de Nicolas" was when Nicolas Jongleux was the chef, and we had a long, leisurely, wonderful meal with several courses and wines to accompany each; but that was a long time ago, and the chef has since changed.

Also, has anyone tried the new "Toque!"? For many years, we had our Thanksgiving Dinner there, but over the years, we have become disillusioned with the impersonal quality of the service and attitude of the staff, and the menu does not seem as innovative as it used to be. It seems that the quality of the service has declined as the restaurant has expanded.

Edited by Luna Calvados (log)

"Some ladies smoke too much and some ladies drink too much and some ladies pray too much, but all ladies think that they weigh too much."

From a poem by Ogden Nash - Curl Up and Diet

Well, I was waiting for someone else to jump in but I see I'll have to give it a go.

Les Caprices is still very much the same restaurant as you visited in the past. The food is excellent and the wine list is superb.

It was rather spectacular when Nicolas was there but it's surprising how good it still is despite the changes of chefs over the years. Service is still French and formal, but probably less stuffy than before. The cheese selection is the best out there and the room is very romantic. You'll also find first-class local ingredients on the menu -- foie gras, deer, guinea hen and such.

Go. If you liked it before, you'll probably like it again for all the same reasons.

Thank you, Lesley C, for your professional comments, which I will take under consideration.

It seems that there is a general trend in restaurant service away from the French formal toward the more casual. I suppose that this is because most people feel intimidated by formality and prefer to be "comfortable" when dining out.

I am still left wondering has anyone tried Toque! at its new location?

"Some ladies smoke too much and some ladies drink too much and some ladies pray too much, but all ladies think that they weigh too much."

From a poem by Ogden Nash - Curl Up and Diet

Yes, it's nice to chill out sometimes when you dine out at a bistro and such. But I'm also a sucker for the more formal restaurants, where I pull out the fancier clothes, better earrings and nice shoes. And thank heavens there are still places like Les Caprices for a night like that!

Take note: Even at Les Caprices, you can kick off your shoes under the table. :wink:

Check out the web site at www.lescaprices.com

Yes, it's nice to chill out sometimes when you dine out at a bistro and such. But I'm also a sucker for the more formal restaurants, where I pull out the fancier clothes, better earrings and nice shoes. And thank heavens there are still places like Les Caprices for a night like that!

Take note: Even at Les Caprices, you can kick off your shoes under the table.  :wink:

Check out the web site at www.lescaprices.com

This is my first post, so I feel a bit akward...

I looked at LES CAPRICES web site.

The site shows pictures of what I assume they serve at the restaurant. What an amazing coincidence... It looks exactly like the food at the French Laundry.

Check out the French Laundry Cookbook, on page 2, 39, 52, 169. Every detail, even the necktie of the waiter is the same.

Why go to the US to Thomas Keller's restaurant when you can have the same thing in Montreal?

Am I just naive to think this is a coincidence?

Francois

I have recent reports from friends who ate there and complained about the casual, unprofessional service, lack of availability of wines on the wine list,  etc.  Has anyone eaten there recently?  And what was your experience of the quality of the service and the meal?

The cooking was as good as ever last spring. Service was polished if cool. Your friends are right about the unavailability of many wines, however; it took three tries before we hit a bottle they actually had on hand. I don't understand why they have such a problem keeping the list up-to-date in this age of inexpensive scanners, digicams, inventory management and page layout software and colour printers.

Also, has anyone tried the new "Toque!"?  For many years, we had our Thanksgiving Dinner there, but over the years, we have become disillusioned with the impersonal quality of the service and attitude of the staff, and the menu does not seem as innovative as it used to be.  It seems that the quality of the service has declined as the restaurant has expanded.

The new digs are posh but also less edgy. That also applies to the cooking (based on a single visit). Don't know if it's due to the move as much as inertia. Can't say I noticed any decline in service quality; it was as indifferent as ever. You may want to bear in mind that Toqué! has always been a restaurant whose cooking I've respected more than enjoyed.