• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Gripe about Central Market's Apple Crop

Kevin72

Anyone else have problems with apples from Central Market (DFW area) this year? Every time I've bought apples and no matter what kind they've been dry and mealy. Then I go to Tom Thumb where it seems like their store policy is to only sell week-old produce with a bruise on it and get perfect, aromatic, sweet/tart juice-dripping-down-your chin apples. :angry:

Rant over, carry on.

Uhhhhhhhhh. . . Central Market?

Yes, may I help you?

Um, I read this guy thought you're apples this year were mealy garbage.

Who is this? What apples?

Just some reader person, just thought you ought to know.

click.

There, Kevin. All done. :raz::laugh:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Other than rock hard granny smiths I haven't had a decent apple this year. Maybe I need to head for somewhere that they look crappy. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

So specifically, which of the 38 current varieties of apples are you talking about?

OMG I miss getting into CM on a regular basis. :sad:

38 varieties of apples! :wub:

Judith Love

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

So specifically, which of the 38 current varieties of apples are you talking about?

Actually, now that I think about it I bought a kind I hadn't bought before way early in the season, like very early September and they were good. The kinds that I've bought since then are MacIntosh, Gala, and Braeburn, all mealy. Also went to Whole Food this weekend and didn't fare much better. Is it a bad apple crop year?

why don't you ask the produce guy to cut you a sample? Or ask him what's good that day? That's the advantage of CM, and you're paying for the expertise so you might as well use it! They've never steered me wrong yet in selecting the best apple for my purposes.

for a good all-round eating apple at a reasonable price, I tend to stick with the Pink Lady - I did enjoy one of the advertised 99 cents/lb Empires recently. Be sure that you're picking an eating variety, and check the bottom of the apple - some varieties show a bit of green as a clue to being not over-ripe - over-ripe means mealy. And I also have found that by cutting an apple into about six slices, the resulting bite of a somewhat mealy apple seems not to be mealy - some sort of brain fart, I'm sure, but works for me....what about the new crop of Texas Cameos - you know they haven't been sitting in a warehouse for months [not that CM would do that - but other chains do]

for a good all-round eating apple at a reasonable price, I tend to stick with the Pink Lady - I did enjoy one of the advertised 99 cents/lb Empires recently.

This under the larger HEB apple umbrella -- when my mr bought pink lady apples (one of my favs also) at our local HEB today out in Bee Caves the produce guy told him to pop them in the microwave :huh: whole for a couple of minutes until tender, slice, then drizzle with melted butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. Now I love baked apples and apple dumplings but would not have thought to do them in the microwave. :wacko:

However, I may have to try this with one anyway. :laugh:

Judith Love

I second LonghornGal's recommendation of asking the produce staff at CM. Let them know what you want to use them for. They are very knowledgeable and they'll let you sample. CM is great that way.

I tend to stick to Braeburns for the most part and I have yet to have one this year that wasn't mealy. I figured they just weren't in season yet. I only buy them at CM, and I meant to ask one of the Foodies when the official season started, last time I was in.