• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yuzu and other citrus

melonpan

I love kinkan (kumquats), I have a tree this year that was given to me by a neighbor who moved away and didn't have a place to put it. The fruits are still dark green and thumb sized but I am eagerly awaiting.....

:biggrin:

Kumquat.jpg

MIL's friend has a cute kumquat tree in her yard.... When we went over there, she gave us this preserved kumquats (left), and some more kumquats we were supposed to use her recipe to make more of the preserved kumquats....

but we got lazy, so MIL stuck them in a jar with some salt and put in in the sun (right). I wonder how this will turn out??

just with salt?

how do you use them?

I think they are supposed to be similar to Lemon peel, except sweeter. We will be in for a surprise too because MIL hasn't made this with Kumquats before.

Maybe they will look like wetter verions of this:

http://www.crackseedcenter.com/ProductGrou...1&CategoryID=13

After the salt-preserving process which takes several months, it can be eaten as is, or flavorings can be added to it such as sugar and honey, li-hing powder, Chinese five-spice, powdered licorice, etc.

More about making Lemon peel:

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/...2/il/il22a.html

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone tried out 柚子茶 "yuzu cha"?

It looks kind of like a marmalade (jam with citrus rinds).  I suppose it is to be used as either a spread,  cooked with, or diluted with water to make a drink/tea.

yes. :wub: it *is* a yuzu jam that is diluted with hot water.

i dont know how popular it is in japan, but it is pretty popular in korea.

"Bibimbap shappdy wappdy wap." - Jinmyo

Has anyone tried out 柚子茶 "yuzu cha"?

It looks kind of like a marmalade (jam with citrus rinds).  I suppose it is to be used as either a spread,  cooked with, or diluted with water to make a drink/tea.

yes. :wub: it *is* a yuzu jam that is diluted with hot water.

i dont know how popular it is in japan, but it is pretty popular in korea.

I saw it in the Korean section of Ranch 99 (a Chinese grocery store). Whenever it comes to different countries using the same Kanji/Chinese characters, I always wonder if the same thing is meant, i.e., I spotted this in a Chinese grocery store labeled as 柚子茶, (didn't clearly list the ingredients). Is this truely Yuzu???

melonpan - Have you had the Japanese Yuzu drinks (e.g Skytime on JAL or any others)? How does this compare? Can it be a cold drink? Im truely tempted to try it, but it was too expensive to just try without knowing if it is good or not. Thanks!!!!!!

I love yuzucha, it is a Korean product but recently has been gaining in popularity in Japan. I drink it like a tea (diluted with water) but it tastes completely different from the Japanese yuzu drinks, it has a deeper more marmalade-y flavor. Sorry I can't describe it too well.

I have also used it in marinades and in sweets like a yuzucha mushipan.

I really love it and couldn't imagine not having it in my refrigerator.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

another great use for yuzu is yuan-yaki!

Last night I grilled some saba (mackeral) in the yuan-yaki style, it was first marinated in some soy, sake, mirin and yuzu slices then grilled. The picture doesn't do justice for how good this is...

gallery_6134_549_13544.jpg

yuan-yaki isn't just for fish, I have seen chicken and even vegetables grilled with this marinade.

To cap off a wonderful Japanese dinner last night, I ordered yuzu citrus sorbet for dessert. Absolute heaven! Beautifully delicate and floral, almost like eating a citrus-scented bouquet. Like poetry in my mouth really. I've never tasted anything like it and will be ordering it again soon.

:wub:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

To cap off a wonderful Japanese dinner last night, I ordered yuzu citrus sorbet for dessert.  Absolute heaven!  Beautifully delicate and floral, almost like eating a citrus-scented bouquet.  Like poetry in my mouth really.  I've never tasted anything like it and will be ordering it again soon.

:wub:

My MIL's friend recently returned from Japan and told us of some delicious Yuzu-gelato she had in Narita airport... unfortunately, when I was there last week, I couldn't find it in the section of the airport i was transferring planes in...

Now I have no idea when ill be in Narita again, but Im in Kansai... any ideas about where to find Yuzu gelato or Yuzu sorbet???

today in Kyoto (on Sanjo-dori in the Gion area), I found a Yuzu - furikake? (i couldnt read the kanji that came after yuzu), but it looked like flaked, dried yuzu peel, no nori in it. I didnt buy it yet though, were going back to that area tomorrow, so im contemplating.... it was about 550yen....hmm..... Im soooo tempted....

i also sampled a yuzu flavored cabbage tsukemono, a very light yuzu flavor.

Just got back from a great 10-day trip in Kansai.

Look what I found! :biggrin:

Green yuzu koshou (315 yen, Hanshin Dept)

YuzuKoshouGreen.jpg

Red yuzu koshou (315 yen, Hanshin Dept)

YuzuKoshouRed.jpg

I also saw Kanzuri but didnt get it, as well as some Yuzu koshou in tubes.

not Yuzu Koshou, but potentially fabulous (havent tried it yet):

Yuzu-? furikake?? (dunno the Kanji) Flakes of dried yuzu. Im going to put this on some rice maybe tonight.

YuzuFurikake.jpg

Found in a shop on eastern end of Shijo-dori in Kyoto, 525yen.

More Yuzu-stuff I bought / ate in Kansai:

Some very soft and yummy Kyo-tofu (there is a specific name but I forgot it). Flavored (L-R): Yuzu, plain, and Yomogi. The flavoring were very subtle, but in a nice way and noticeable if you knew what you were tasting for (i.e., you know what yomogi tastes like). From Hanshin Dept, 315yen.

KyoDofuFlavored.jpg

From the 100yen shop:

Yuzu-miso...havent tried it yet, but for 100 yen, who can resist?

YuzuMiso.jpg

Also from the 100yen shop:

Yuzu-flavored yanwari-age-tofu. Tofu-chips? Puffy chips with a nice spicy yuzu (koshou) flavor.

YuzuTofuChips.jpg

Yuzu-daikon tsukemono, from Kyoto: yumyum, I sampled this stuff and bought it as omiyage for two aunties and myself :biggrin:

YuzuDaikonTsukemono.jpg

How could I forget to mention these Yuzu things I had?

A yuzu concentrate i found at the Tennoji Temple Flea Market in Osaka (every 21st of the month I think), for 1200yen.

YuzuConcentrate.jpg

I havent tried it yet, but apparently I can put it in everything....now can I make juice with it??? (I never got to pick up any Yuzu juice to bring home :angry: )

Yuzu-soda-milky: an interesting Yuzu drink on the Food floor of Daimaru (I think), in Osaka (Shinsaibashi or Umeda stations both had it)

A little yuzu concentrate mixed with club soda, and some whipped cream! Yum!!!! Although I would have felt less guilty if there was no cream (they also sold just yuzu soda)

YuzuSoda.jpg

And yuzu sofuto (and Sakura flavor) eaten in Uji. This yuzu-sofuto was the best sofuto I ve had!

YuzuSakuraSofto.jpg

Also, at a kushikatsu restaurant in Dotombori, Osaka, I had a Yuzu-sake drink. I forget what it was called (kogami or something like that), but it was served heated, a nice sake with yuzu flavor! Yum!!! Maybe Ill try mixing my yuzu concentrate with some sake!

Looks very nice! We had a refreshing 100-yen yuzu drink in the basement of Sogo department store (a local branch) that wasn't sweet, and was just perfect after a long walk lugging instruments and music and a long day!

The canned yuzu drinks I have had were not inspiring, but this was perfect...

That yuzu concentrate makes great juice!

I have one friend who always has it in her house, she orders it by the case!

The price has always stopped me because it would be gone in a day or two in my house....

I had a great yuzu drink at Freshness Burger! (this name still makes me chuckle) The drink is called Yucha Soda, concentrated yuzu, candied yuzu peel in soda water. Very refreshing! It cost 300 yen. Chotto takai yo ne...

ahh where's the button for the fries?

I had a great yuzu drink at Freshness Burger!  (this name still makes me chuckle)  The drink is called Yucha Soda, concentrated yuzu, candied yuzu peel in soda water. Very refreshing!  It cost 300 yen. Chotto takai yo ne...

I love the drinks at Freshness Burger!

I never saw the yucha soda but I have ahd both the lime soda and grenadine soda and really like those. I also like their cranberry-lemonade and their chai was really good too.

I guess I need to stop by Freshness Burger soon. :biggrin:

How could I forget to mention these Yuzu things I had?

A yuzu concentrate i found at the Tennoji Temple Flea Market in Osaka (every 21st of the month I think), for 1200yen. 

I havent tried it yet, but apparently I can put it in everything....now can I make juice with it??? (I never got to pick up any Yuzu juice to bring home :angry: )

That's not actually yuzu concentrate; that's straight, 100% yuzu juice. You can dilute it with water and mix with honey or sugar to get a refreshing drink. Commercial beverage products use anything from 3-20% yuzu, mostly somewhere in the 5-10% range. Follow your favorite lemonade recipe and you'll get results that you'll like. I prefer mixing with about 15% yuzu juice. Add shochu in place of some of the water for a nice cocktail.

Also good mixed with soy sauce and some dashi, maybe a bit of fresh or spray dried yuzu peel, when serving yuudoufu (tofu, dried konbu simmered in a hot pot, sometimes with hakusai aka napa cabbage, kinoko, etc.)

Using some yuzu peel, a French restaurant outside Osaka made a nice Yuzu Mascarpone gelato-like dessert which I would really like to replicate. Alas, fresh yuzu is incredibly expensive in Seattle ($45/lb the last time I saw it) and it's not yet easy to import fresh due to USDA complications, so only a small number of Floridians and Californians can get it in the wintertime. It should grow reasonably well anywhere that doesn't freeze to severely in the winter, though. A potter I met in Mashiko stole some off a tree for me that I unwittingly (yes really) smuggled into the US.

A small shop in Shinjuku across the street from the south entrance, along the way to Century Southern tower, featured a lovely sweet called yuzukko. It was kind of a candied yuzu made with fruit pectin, yuzu, sugar, and nothing else.

Unfortunately it had a short shelf life and the company that makes it is run by little more than a mother-daughter team, or I'd be trying to get it in the US.

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

Dried yuzu powder or yuzu-ko, as you found there, could be used when making a ponzu (as suggested in my last post about yuudoufu). You will most likely want to hydrate them in some way to get the most flavor out of them. It depends on how fine the texture is. Try mixing it with cream cheese, a bit of honey, and a splash of yuzu juice for a bagel spread. Only a few more steps beyond that to cheesecake.

Just got back from a great 10-day trip in Kansai.

Yuzu Koshou, but potentially fabulous (havent tried it yet):

Yuzu-? furikake??  (dunno the Kanji)  Flakes of dried yuzu.  Im going to put this on some rice maybe tonight.

YuzuFurikake.jpg

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

Jason,

welcome to eGullet and the Japan forum!

I just checked out your link for Yuzumura and all I can say is Wow!

I am looking foward to hearing more from you.

• 2 months later...

This is the yuzu drink that I love

gallery_6134_1003_18781.jpg

It is called yuzu komi (koumi) and it is a concentrate made with yuzu juice, honey and sugar. It needs be diluted with 8 to 9 parts water or other liquid. :biggrin:

their homepage

Edited by torakris (log)