• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gautreau's and Broussard's: good choices?

Poppy Quince

We'll be in New Orleans just after Christmas and through NYE. One of our group has made reservations at Gautreau's for an anniversary dinner and at Broussard's for New Year's Eve. Cursory research would indicate that both are reasonable choices; what do experts think?

And that leaves us with three more dinners and four lunches, not even counting breakfasts. Advice is welcome. I'd like to mix some upscale with some funkier choices. We won't have a car. Home base will be the Windsor Court.

By the way, any dress code anywhere?

You might want to check out the Reveillon Dinners that happen during this time of the year. This link

lists the dinners from last year. I know Tom Fitzmorris always talks about

them.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Reveillon Dinners are usually great bargains.

Here is a description that I wrote last year concerning the dinners and also an alternative list to the one above (although it too is a year old).

Tom Fitzmorris, long time food guy, local radio host, and a guy who knows a mountain of info about N.O. dining, has more info on his website, although much of it just relates to the stuff that he is involved in. There is some helpful info there though. I love his radio show this time of year (WSMB-1350 on your radio dial-weekdays at 4). People here really llike to talk about food and this show has long been one of the more interesting food shows around anywhere.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

The nola.com site for 2003 show's Broussard's offering Reveillon dinners only on Dec. 24, not Dec. 31. I'm curious however about why the menu listed German foods. It isn't a German restaurant, is it?

Choice of:

Gemischter Wurstteller and Radieschen Salat

Mixed German sausage plate and radish salad

Herring Hausfrauen Art

Pickled herring with apples and sour cream

Grüne Erbsen Suppe Mit Würstchen

Pea soup with smoked sausage

Sellerie und Tomaten Salat

Celeriac and tomato salad

Choice of:

Sauer Braten, Apfelrotkohl Klösse

Braised marinated beef, red cabbage and dumplings

Frischer Schweine Bauch Bürgerlich

Fresh roasted pork bacon with mixed vegetables

Wiener Schnitzel mit Kartoffel Puffer

Breaded veal cutlet with potato pancakes and applesauce

Forellen Filet Berliner Art

Trout filet with crawfish stuffing on leeks with a lemon dill sauce

Rumtopf mit Vanille Eis

Marinated fruit over ice cream

We'll be in New Orleans just after Christmas and through NYE.  One of our group has made reservations at Gautreau's for an anniversary dinner and at Broussard's for New Year's Eve.  Cursory research would indicate that both are reasonable choices; what do experts think?

And that leaves us with three more dinners and four lunches, not even counting breakfasts.  Advice is welcome.  I'd like to mix some upscale with some funkier choices.  We won't have a car.  Home base will be the Windsor Court.

We'll be in New Orleans just after Christmas and through NYE.  One of our group has made reservations at Gautreau's for an anniversary dinner and at Broussard's for New Year's Eve.  Cursory research would indicate that both are reasonable choices; what do experts think?

And that leaves us with three more dinners and four lunches, not even counting breakfasts.  Advice is welcome.  I'd like to mix some upscale with some funkier choices.  We won't have a car.  Home base will be the Windsor Court.

Have visited NO several times during the past year and have enjoyed terrific meals at Restaurant August (which I believe is just across from Windsor Court) and Cuvee.

For lunch, Cassamento's, Port o' Call, Domelisis's

Dinner, Lola's, Herbsaint, Brigtsens', Lillet. Theres great Vietnamese at Dong Phuong in Chalmette, Crawfish, shrimp oysters, and crabs at 1921 in Houma.

Edited by Timh (log)

Windsor Court had a jacket required dress code for the Grill room a couple of years ago, don't know if it is still enforced.. Just call in advance. And the

schedules for the Revillion dinners. Try going to the convention and visitors bureau and see if they can send you a schedule with menus.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Mothers is behind the Windsor Court (my personal favorite place to be in N.O.)

and is RENOWN for their poorboys. We actually spell it poboy's. The grill is excellent, the steak is phenon. THe rooms all suites. Love the place. Have seen a lot of hanky panky going on there, so every trip is sooooo funny. love the service.

do go to the market, and don't get screwed there w/the fake stuff...so much of it, but at the start the tomatos and garlic braids are great!

La Bella Luna..walking distance, or take the trolly past the riverwalk.

Edited by highchef (log)