• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicken Breasts

coughy

Last night I used our sweet barbecue rub, lightly covered & rubbed both sides. Dropped in rings of sliced onions on the bottom of a cast iron skillet, then set the chicken on top of the onions & let the whole mess cook about 30 minutes on 375. Sprinkled some cheddar over the chicken & onions and let it sit under broil for about 3 minutes (just until the cheese got gooey & bubbly), then plated & served.

The basic idea I got from a Martha Stewart recipe. I think her recipe called for a bit more high-class seasoning (cumin, oregano, chili powder, but the same general idea as barbecue), and was for bone-in, skin-on chicken, but I didn't have those on hand.

Diana

Pound them flat (1/4 inch thick or so), dredge in flour, egg, then bread crumbs, and cook them up in a skillet with butter. Squeeze some lemon on them and throw on a few capers when done.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Do what Al said, only folt the pounded breasts in half over some good Gruyere or Fontina cheese (breading only the outside). Deglaze the pan with a little wine and some more lemon juice, and whisk in some butter to make a little sauce. Serve with cous-cous.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Sauteed Chicken Breast with Brandy Mustard Cream Sauce

1 chix breast

2 tbl. clarified butter

2 tsps. mince shallot

3 tbl. Brandy

3/4 cup heavy cream

1 tbl dijon mustard

s&p

instructions-pound chicken breast flat,saute in clarified butter,remove

saute shallots till translucent,add brandy and flambe,add cream-reduce cream till nape,add mustard season with s&p; add chicken to heat through--this is soo good-i,ll bet it would go great with that roasted cauliflower i read of somewhere earlier Dave s

"Food is our common ground,a universal experience"

James Beard

Sear the breasts to give them a nice brown crust, but without fully cooking/drying them out.

Turn down the heat and into your pann toss several glugs of tequila, a healhty amount of louisiana style hot sauce, some chopped onion, couple tablespoons of butter, some chili powder, cumin, and garlic, and once this cooks down a bit a couple glugs of cream.

Simmer on low till the chicken is fully cooked and serve topped with shredded jack or queso blanco.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I was having the same dilemma~ not that it's not warm enough to grill here, but just didnt' feel like it and I've got chicken breasts defrosted....I'm torn between Al Dente's suggestion or a couple of others that I do :

One is a sort of chicken fajitas:

Heat some EVOO in a skillet, toss in a couple of slice onions, a couple of sliced red/yellow/green bell peppers, and some garlic and stir to combine, then cover and cook till the veggies have softened, then uncover and cook for a few more minutes till they're crisp-tender. I remove the veggies and set them aside, put a little more EVOO in the skillet and salt and pepper the chicken breasts, and then cook them on med-hi till it's golden and firm to touch; take that out and put somewhere to keep warm, return the veggies to pan with some grape tomatoes and a few jalapenos or serranos if desired, heat and then add a couple of Tbsp balsamic vinegar and boil for about 30 sec. and remove from heat. Serve with flour tortillas and whatever other accoutrements you like. A little lime juice is good too!

or I do a Sundried Tomato and Garlic crust that I usually use Panko crumbs for....

2 cups Panko or breadcrumbs made with french bread

1/2 cup oil-packed sundried tomatoes

2 large cloves garlic

4 chicken breast halves

combine the first 3 ingredients in food processor along with 2 Tbsp of the oil from the sundried tomatoes, until tomatoes coarsely chopped.

Cook the chicken, seasoned with salt and pepper in a skillet that you've added ~ 1 1/2 Tbsp of the oil from tomatoes over med-hi heat till golden.

Transfer the chicken to a glass oven proof baking dish just large enough for the chicken. Spoon the tomato mixture on top of the chicken and press to adhere. Bake at 375 deg. F for approx 20-30 min.

Hmmm...even after typing it out, I still can't decide.....but I'm making myself hungry :raz:

Edited by NVNVGirl (log)

Rachel Perlow has a nice recipe for Chicken Marsala that is quite easy and tasty and uses boneless chicken breasts.

I copied this from RecipeGullet and I'm sure she won't mind me posting it here since RecipeGullet is down for the count.

Chicken Marsala

Submitted by: Rachel Perlow

Years ago, I used to order Chicken or Veal Marsala all the time out at restaurants. I was usually disappointed. Overly sweet, orange colored, sometimes gloppy sauces. I stopped ordering it. Jason still orders it, and his frequent disappointment in the dish usually centers on the lack of mushrooms. He likes mushrooms and wants lots of them. The other day he brings home a bottle of Marsala wine and says, "please make me Chicken Marsala." So I do. Even though I've never made it before, I knew the basic technique, having made many dishes of sauteed chicken with white wine sauce, with and without mushrooms. And so, my technique from last night.

1 lb skinless boneless chicken breast (that should be 3 breasts)

1 small onion, sliced

1 package white button mushroom (10-12 oz), sliced

1 c Marsala wine (divided)

1-1/2 c Chicken Stock

Flour

Butter

Olive Oil

Parsley (optional)

salt

pepper

Rinse your chicken breasts and thoroughly trim off all skin, fat, sinew, cartilage, etc. Cut each breast in half horizontally, about 2/3 up from the skinny end (so you get 2 pieces equal in weight). Place chicken breast pieces, one at a time, between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound thin (about 1/3 inch even across the meat, you will have 6 cutlets). Salt & pepper the chicken cutlets and then coat them with flour, dusting off any extra flour.

Meanwhile, heat a large skillet. When hot, add a little butter and olive oil, when hot, add the onions. Reduce heat and sauté until onions are translucent. Add mushrooms and raise heat. Sauté until mushrooms are browned and limp. Sprinkle 1 Tbs. of flour over mushrooms; stir to kind of make a roux. Stir in 1/2 cup Marsala wine, deglazing pan for a minute or so, and then stir in the chicken stock. Stir and simmer for about 5 minutes. The sauce with thicken slightly. Remove from skillet and set aside.

While the sauce has been cooking, you would have pounded the chicken breasts and coated them with flour. Wipe out your skillet, put it back over heat, add a little more butter & oil. When hot, brown the chicken cutlets in two batches, for 2 minutes per side. Remove them to a plate or the oven to keep warm (I set my toaster oven to 150 to keep them warm). When done, drain any leftover fat from the pan.

Add remaining 1/2 cup Marsala wine (CAUTION: this may flame, so have pan lid handy and don't pour directly from the bottle) and use a flat wooden spatula to deglaze the pan. Return sauce to the skillet and stir to combine and bring to a simmer. Taste for seasoning. Return cutlets to skillet and simmer for a few minutes. The sauce should thicken again, just slightly. Remove from heat.

Push chicken to the side and whisk a few teaspoons of very cold butter into the sauce. Shake and swirl the pan to finish the sauce. Sprinkle with parsley.

Serve over linguine or with rice pilaf.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

In the event you happen to have some pastrami in house (although any meat will do):

Pound the chicken breasts flat. Place some strips of pastrami on the chicken and roll up the breast using a toothpick to keep the roll together. Once rolls are made, brush each with dijon mustard and dredge in breadcrumbs/panko. Place in pre-heated 350F oven and bake for about 45 minutes.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Marsala's always a good bet, my recipe is similar to rachel's above, but I use shallots instead of onions and crimini mushrooms instead of button.

Here's another quick one that's good:

2 chicken breasts

1 14oz can of good diced tomatoes

1 c sauvignon blanc or pinot grigio

3-6 cloves of garlic

1 tblspn capers

1 tbslpn unsalted butter

dash of EVOO

small bunch of fresh basil

Heat a pan over medium high heat, melt the butter and add the oil. Sautee the breasts. Remove the breats serving plates. Add tomatoes, gralic and capers to same pan and cook for a few minutes. Add wine to pan and reduce until it reaches a chunky sauce consistency. Top the breats with the sauce, chiffonade the basil, and use as garnish. Goes really well with rice.

We make a regional Mexican dish called "tinga." There are lots of ways to make it and lots of times it has Chile Ancho in it, but I prefer tinga with chicken and habanero peppers.

INGREDIENTS:

2 tablespoons Olive Oil

1/2 medium white onion, diced.

2-3 boneless chicken breasts.

1 habanero pepper, halved

1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped

1 cup of water

3 tablespoons tomato paste (you may need to play with this for proper consistency. Not too thick, not too watery)

salt and pepper to taste.

First saute some onions and olive oil in a deep skillet or saucepan. When soft, add the chicken and cook it until done. Then shred the chicken and return it to the skillet or saucepan.

To this add a cup or so of water to sort of deglaze the pan creating the base for a sauce.

To this add tomato paste and halved habanero peppers with insides removed.

NOTE: Remove them from the sauce sooner for less heat. Keep them in until the very end for

more.

Finally, add a good handful of chopped fresh cilantro and salt and pepper to taste.

Simmer these ingredients together for about 15 minutes on medium heat.

NOTE: You should notice the wonderful aroma from the habaneros as they infuse into the sauce.

It reminds me of citrus and floral at the same time. Yum.

Serve this with rice and corn tortillas warmed (I like them a little charred) on a comal.

P.S. You may also add yellow corn to the tinga as well. Sometimes we do, sometimes we don't.

Buen provecho. :biggrin:

I like to pound the chicken out quite thin, roll up some ham or proscuitto and some cheese -whatever you have handy- but I prefer something like goat or even swiss.......then instead of rolling in bread crumbs, roll in finely chopped fresh herbs (after a little olive oil, salt and pepper is added to the chicken). Parsley & Sage is nice. Or you can do Rosemary and Savory. It is a nice change from breading. Sear in a pan then finish off in the oven.

coat chicken in ground :

mustard

garlic

chili

cumin

ginger

then dry fry until blackened

hope this isn't what you always do

it's been raining here since 3pm - had to go to doctor - went for lo mein

came home and made some hot chocolate with some nice valhrona i borrowed from school and some vanilla sugar and marshmallows

How about fromagio?

Sear the breasts

Deglaze with White wine, maybe a squeeze of lemon.

crumble a little gorgonzola or other

touch of cream or half and half...milk if you must.

throw in a few garnishes of prociuto if you have it, if not, serve as is, or garnish with what you have.

Rich rainy day dish.

Do they have the skin on? If so, you can get away with a spice rub and a good sear - turn, cook the flesh side in some liquidy crushed tomatoes and capers, or in a bed of thinly-sliced onions and wine, etc etc.

If they're boneless AND skinless, I would bread and fry them. I like to pound them thin to cut cooking time.