• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Morgantown, West Virginia

tommy

i'll be spending a short amount of my life in morgantown, west virginia. i know it's a long shot, does anyone know of any decent places to eat and/or drink? and/or anything? it's a college town, so i assume there's *something* going on, even if it's just pitchers of beer and good wings.

[crosses fingers...]

edit: i hope i didn't come across as bashing WVa or morgantown. it's just that it's about 8 hours from me and doesn't seem to be near many big cities, where the bulk of egullet likely reside, hence the "long shot" comment.

Edited by tommy (log)

...and/or anything?  it's a college town, so i assume there's *something* going on...

[crosses fingers...]

I know nothing about the dining scene, but according to our friends at the DEA: "There is increased demand for MDMA and other club drugs throughout West Virginia, but abuse currently remains fairly concentrated near Morgantown." You did say 'anything.' :wacko:

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

I've been through Morgantown, but haven't eaten there. However, someone I work with who went to school out there suggests you try out:

Bent Willeys

471 Chestnut Street, Morgantown, WV 26505

Edited by Al_Dente (log)

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

I've been through Morgantown, but haven't eaten there. However, someone I work with who went to school out there suggests you try out:

Bent Willeys

471 Chestnut Street, Morgantown, WV 26505

If Morgantown is near Shepherdstown, you can try Yellow Brick Bank.

Resident Twizzlebum

I think it's humorous that a New Yorker with nearly 15,000 e-gluttonous posts is headed to Morgantown. Bring your laptop :laugh:

The leaves will be purdy.

(fine, nearly 14, 030 posts)

Edited by morela (log)

I think it's humorous that a New Yorker with nearly 15,000 e-gluttonous  posts is headed to Morgantown. Bring your laptop  :laugh:

trust me when i say, morela, that no one is laughing harder than me right now. :wacko:

laptop for sure.

thanks for the recs so far people. once again you've met and exceeded my expectations.

I was in Morgantown in mid Sept visiting my son at WVU. Unfortunately, I have more "steer clear of" ideas than recommendations. The Glass House is the place everyone seems to recommend for "fine dining" - it is awful and pricey. There's a little place in what looks like a converted furniture showroom across the street from the Hotel Morgan. I think it's called Madeline's and the food was OK to good on my two visits. There's a breakfast place around the corner from that hotel - can't remember the name. Weak coffee but good food.

I used to live in Morgantown, so perhaps I can offer some suggestions.

New York Times article on dining and leisure activities in M-town:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/09/travel/0...print&position=

There are not a lot of "Excellent" restaurants in Morgantown, but there are some "Very Good" ones. Madeleine's, across from the Hotel Morgan, is supposed to be good. Oliverio's, down on the waterfront, is worth checking out for good Italian-American food. For excellent pub fare, head to The Boston Beanery. Both their sandwiches and wings are great. For a good slice of pizza, go to Casa D'Amici. Great Wall, on the corner of High and Pleasant Streets, has some seriously good Chinese take-out.

This being a college town, there are too many bars to count. I like Gibbie's on High Street. The art-deco interior has seen better days, but is mostly original. West Virginia Brewing Company is known regionally for their excellent beers. The food is supposedly good, but again, I've never eaten there. If you're feeling adventurous, check out the Metropolitan Billiard Parlor, which is hidden beneath the Metropolitan Theatre. You won't find a particularly good selection of beers (all bottles), and the pool tables are beat up and ancient, but the place is a step back in time. Try some of their pepperoni rolls. This is a food item that is not found far beyond northern West Virginia.

For your morning coffee, The Blue Moose Cafe is the only place in town with anything good. I used to live right around the corner and have fond memories of stopping in for a huge iced Earl Grey on hot summer days.

Love,

Mr. Roger Troutman, who enjoys food and beverages.

CHAIR, INTERNATIONAL DINING RESEARCH INSTITUTE

WASHINGTON, D.C.

thanks mr. roger troutman. that beanery place jumped out at me when i was doing some outside-of-egullet research.

i notice someone changed the sub-heading of this thread to "what's good there besides pork", or something similar. since i haven't seen any mention of pork in this thread, and i certainly didn't pen that phrase, i have to ask if pork is something i should be looking out for. what's the deal?

i notice someone changed the sub-heading of this thread to "what's good there besides pork", or something similar.  since i haven't seen any mention of pork in this thread, and i certainly didn't pen that phrase, i have to ask if pork is something i should be looking out for.  what's the deal?

I assumed that was a reference to the abilities of the senior senator from that fair state to bring home the bacon -- keep in mind this is the DC board with all the inside the beltway types. :raz:

Not a restaurant rec, but rather a "dish" to try in Morgantown--pepperoni rolls! It's a yeasted roll filled with pepperoni or pepperoni and cheesse, quite tasty! ( the sum is more than the parts)

Maybe someone else can jump in on their favorite places to get these. It's a specialty that's quite regional. This link has some background and recs on some places.

edited to add: I spoke to a friend that went to WVU a while back-- two places he mentioned are "Montmartre" and a restaurant in the Old Seneca Glass Factory (don't know name). Does anyone know more about these to say if they're worthwhile?

Also, I should have re-read the posts again b/4 I posted--pepperoni rolls already mentioned by Troutman.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Therestaurant in the Seneca glass factory is The Glass House - horrid food as I mentioned above. The Blue Moose is the breakfast place that I couldn't remember - I ate there every morning after discovering it.

I'm fairly familiar with the Beanery's Harrisonburg, VA location and can say that it's pretty decent. It'd probably be better than 98% of the other places that you'd find anywhere in West Virginia. Don't expect to be awestruck, but you can expect to be well satisfied.

well the freakin trip is off.

but thanks so much to everyone who made my research that much easier, and that much more interesting. the next time i'm in morgantown, i'll know exactly where to go (although i'll likely never know who changed the sub-title of this thread or why, but why question these things when the answers are never really given). and i'll know to not stay at the best western because they're effing me out of several hundred dollars without cause.

cheers.

Edited by tommy (log)

• 4 years later...

it's been a long time since anyone's written - have things changed in M-town? Going for a few days - to a place about 20 miles south - but then I know nothing's down there - so M-town's my best bet - suggestions about food/dining/breakfast, dinner/wine would be welcome....

Live and learn. Die and get food. That's the Southern way.