• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking For a Good Sub Shop in W. Orange Area

hitmanoo

I live in West Orange, and I'm hoping to find a local sub shop that really excels. Something along the line of Cosmos in Hackensack.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

I know it's not close but if you are a sub "sangwich" fiend then you must get down to Lenny and John's on Bloomfield ave. in Bloomfield. Right next to Wendy's. I think they are closed on Mondays.

Truthfully, I have never had a sub that was fresher and tasted so good. The bread is to die for.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Rosie,

It's called Tutta Fresca and it's great. My favorite sandwich is their Balsamic chicken, broccoli rabe and fresh mozzarella on homemade rolls. It's owned by Maria Cammorata, who may or may not also own Cammorata's pizza.

Ok, I just tried out Tutta Fresca in Livingston. I must admit, I had a little trouble finding the place, even though I knew it was across the street from the post office on Route 10. It really is a little house, very tiny indeed.

I decided to go with something basic, just to get a baseline. I had a sub with turkey breast and genoa salami, with lettuce, tomato, roasted red pepper and mustard. Not bad, not bad at all. I can't honestly say that it's on the level of Cosmo's but it was a pretty tasty sandwhich.

The bread was not too dense. It made for a nice foundation. The lettuce was of the shreaded variety. Too finely shreaded in my opinion. No complaints about the tomato slices, and the roasted red peppers hit the spot. The turkey was fresh and flavorful, but I wasn't a huge fan of their choice in brand of Salami. Maybe I'm too finicky when it comes to salami, but I know what I like. Didn't think to look for their particular brand at the time.

In all, the sandwhich was a B+. Not good enough to become my pre-Giants game sub of choice, but solid enough to be in the rotation. I'll have to go back and try other things.

For cheese fans, their mozzarella is supposedly top notch.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

I'm tellin' ya hitmanoo. The subs at Lenny and John's in Bloomfield are incredible. I'd put them up against any place around. Definitely worth the pre-Football drive down. Give em a shot and let me know how you like them.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

I'm tellin' ya hitmanoo.  The subs at Lenny and John's in Bloomfield are incredible.  I'd put them up against any place around.  Definitely worth the pre-Football drive down.  Give em a shot and let me know how you like them.

I'd have no problem giving Lenny and John's a shot. What is the location? Bloomfield is a big town.

Lenny & John's Subs

Address: 161 Bloomfield Ave, Bloomfield, NJ 07003

Phone: (973) 429-1736