• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Atlanta Restaurant Updates: new places & faces

micropundit

Word on the street is that RICESTIX,the  Sandy Springd based  Vietnamese eatery will soon close its doors after less than a year in business.

A minor correction: RiceSticks in Sandy Springs has been open for 1 year and 4 months. Owner Kevin Tran will be closing the restaurant after the final dinner service on Sunday evening, October 23.

A recent article in a trendy trade publication identified 5 Trends in American dining that I thought were very interesting ,so I am sharing with you .It seems to be the wave(s) of the future and there are some examples already here in *drum roll please*the ATL.For the uninitiated,Atlanta has launched a branding campaign and the city will henceforth and forevermore known as the ATL-or until the next campaign.

Anywho,here are the excerpts of the article:

Trend #1

Build Your Own Meal!

"Today's consumers are educated in the kitchen and discerning in the restaurant. This is sparking a hot new trend toward customer freedom while dining out -- building their own entrées. Discriminating guests are getting involved with assembling and accenting their own entrée plate at restaurants, suggesting alternative side dishes and more. "

Here in Atlanta,THE REAL CHOW BABY,a new westside eatery, is an example of this trend.

Trend #2

Excellent Cuisine for just $20

"An excellent meal doesn't have to cost a king's ransom … or a month's grocery budget! Restaurants and bars are taking giant leaps towards more affordable yet wonderfully creative menus, sometimes featuring lesser expensive cuts of meat exquisitely seasoned, prepared and accented.

"Top restaurants on both coasts are taking the lead and holding prices to around $20 per entrée, making up the difference in volume and creative cooking techniques."

GLOBE is at the forefront of this trend here in Atlanta.

Trend #3

Less Formal. A Lot More Fun.

"Today, mini sandwiches featuring Albacore with seaweed salad, a miniature tuna burger and cured Ahi with cucumber relish can be a delicious and fun luncheon experience. Or shot glasses of potato leek soup, shiitake mushroom and consommé with simple croutons -- a trio tasting - is becoming as popular as a cocktail service with martini varieties, Bloody Mary _expressions and short whiskey tastings -- all in threes and fours.

The idea is variety to increase interest in flavors and make the dining experience fun, less formal."

A number of Atlanta restaurants are practicing this approach,PARK 75 and it's new chef come to mind.

Trend #4

Mundane "Snacks" Now Homemade & Fabulous

"Homemade or "house made." Authentic French Bistros, Italian Trattorias, German Bierhauses and American Pubs are all creating their own simple yet delicious "snacks" to help guests take the edge off while ordering and kicking back before dinner."

RATHBUN'S has made its bones here.

Trend #5

Fresh & Uncomplicated

"The freshest ingredients are coupled with simple, uncomplicated preparations. This trend is so hot that many chefs have redesigned their kitchen, bringing it out to their guests. In these exhibition kitchens guests can select the freshest ingredients - in some cases straight from the chef's own kitchen garden"

Can you say BACCHANALIA?.

NEWS and NOTES:

The 2006 Mobile awards have been announced and congratulations are in order for THE DINING ROOM at the Ritz Carlton Buckhead and SEEGER'S, they are once again rated 5 stars,the highest award.There were only 14 such awards in the US.

The ATL was tied with San Francisco for second place among American cities for number of awardees.PARK 75 and BACCHANALIA retained their 4 star status.Big ups to them as well.

Sources tell me that Joey Masi,former top toque at ONE MIIDTOWN KITCHEN,is looking at a recently closed Virginia -Highlands resto as a potential upscale venture. Stay tuned.

The same source-a major player in the Atlanta food scene-says that Paul Albrecht ,who just departed from SPICE,will take on PHILLIPE'S ,the Pechtree Hills bistro.

JOEL,the award winning Buckhead brasserie of the famous French chef Joel Antunes, has just been named one of the 40 Best Restaurants in America by Gayot.com,the an international internet food and wine guide.

The former owners/employees of Virginia -Highlands fave,DISH,have opened SHORTY'S,a pizzeria specializing in wood fired,thin crust pizzas, inTocco Hills.

Speaking of pizzerias,FELLINI'S PIZZA,the local muti-unit chain,will open a new location in Decatur in the old Greyhound bus station on Commerce Drive.

Be sure to tune in next week-got something special for you.See ya.

100% right 50% of the time.

This post marks the first anniversary of the little corner of the e-Gullet.com

universe that I have been privileged to occupy.Yes people,.we have been on this

journey to explore the Atlanta dining scene's new places and faces for a year now

and what a ride!And now I am ready to start the second with a look at 2006.

First let me say thank you to all of you who have supported me in this effort.

Without your feedback,advice and counsel,none of this would have been possible.

And what is this? Well before I go there, let me start at the beginning.

I had been lurking for a year before I first posted on this site because I was fascinated by the rich discussions on food,restaurants and the different cities represented by the participants in these dialogues.You see,I am not a "foodie" .I am a person who has toiled in the vineyard as an executive in the private.public

and the not for profit sector for a number of years before becoming an

entrepreneur here in Atlanta. During the halcyon days,I traveled across the

country and was wined and dined ,often at some of the best dining experiences

that the community ,large or small had to offer. This led to a growing

appreciation of the social,cultural and economic facets of restaurants and by

extension, the restaurant world.

I began to see things in an entirely different light,especially here in Atlanta.

I began to see that there was and is a very dynamic and complex dining "scene"

here both on an absolute as well as a comparative basis.And ,as I learned and

experienced more ,I began to seek out information on the who ,what and wheres.

I met owners,operators,journalists and eventually found the internet portion of

the equation. And one thing began to stand out throughout my experiences: there

was no single source that answered all of my questions about a market that

seemed to me at least,to be as vibrant as any I had seen or read about.So

instead of cursing the darkness,I started to look for a place to express my

thoughts and opinions and to share information. I found it here and have not

looked back.

It was and still is a humbling experience.The participants here are passionate,

informed and experienced about so many things relating to food and restaurants.

I was not, but I took a chance on a lark and here I am,warts and all.

This is a hobby that has become an obsession of sorts.I have asked friends who

are in the restaurant business for assistance and advice;family members who

once laughed at me are now putting (or trying to) in their two cents.However,

what has been most gratifying to me through this past year has been the

feedback that I have received. I could not and would not have continued but for

your help, so for all of you ,this has been for you.

To start the "new" year off ,I am going to look ahead to 2006 and see if I can

spot the HOT SPOTS for 2006.

There are 3 restaurants that I believe will be the most significant new players

in the ATL next year because of their location,design and chefs:

TROIS;B.E.D;and,DOLCHE.Why? Well,for different reasons but in the final

analysis,location,location,location.

Each of the three,however, -and let me say that there will several noteworthy restos coming on line next year - have some unique properties that will make them standout.

First,they are in the new hot spots.For example, B.E.D(Beverage,Entertainment and Dining)

is in the Glenn hotel,downtown's first luxury boutique hotel.Two things are

important to note here, urban boutique hotels are the sine qua non for any city

that aspires to coolness;and,B.E.D has a track record in New York and Miami as

hot spots in the epicenters of coolness.Second,they have style.

DOLCHE will bring the style and appeal of LA to Atlanta. According to press

accounts ,it is a hotspot in LA.that is recognized as much for its' design as for its'cuisine.

And design ,is what will make it a standout here.Dodd Mitchell is to LA what Bill

Johnson is to Atlanta. DOLCHE is the restaurant that put him on the national

radar and now he is doing several significant projects in New York.His entrance

into this market should be mutually beneficial.Atlantic Station,where DOLCHE

and 2 other siblings will locate,is hot and it is only 60% completed. .

Third,they will all have serious chefs.

TROIS. The name is lyrical and the location is magical: Midtown ,not

Buckhead,is now the hottest 'hood in town.SHOUT;TABLE 1280 ,and PARK 75 all

form a culinary circle whose dimensions will be expanded exponentially by

TROIS's inclusion.The design should be matched only by the talent of the head

chef. And early betting has Richard Blais as being the top toque at TROIS.

That name alone puts TROIS at the head of the class of 2006.

So there it is : My first "annual" look in the future.Let me know what you think.

Until next week,take care.

Edited by micropundit (log)

This is a very interesting ,IMO,take on some of the latest ATL restaurants by John Mariani.

John Mariani's Virtual Gourmet

Right yet again, micropundit! Extremely interesting and a great "find" on your part! Thanks for bringing this piece to the SE forum!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I was downtown last week at a social function and had an opportunity to enjoy the food at ENDENU.located at 393 Marietta Street.Check it out.

Speaking of downtown,uber-architect Bill Johnson's design for the Glenn Hotel/BED restaurant promises to increase the wow factor for Atlanta's dining scene by a factor of ten.After being asked about the restaurant and hotel's design, this is how he described the design concept of the hotel and restaurant:

"  Whether for business or pleasure, The Glenn is sure to please travelers and local patrons alike."

"The design of the Glen(we're doing all of the public spaces of the hotel) and BED will be exciting,fresh,and very current.It will become the new 'gotta see 'place".

I can't wait. Sounds like another winner from the ATL's hottest architect.

NEWS and NOTES:

There has been a changing of the guard again at MID-CITY CUSINE.Nicolas Bour,owner/chef of the recently closed IRIS,has been named as executive chef at the popular Midtown bistro.

Midtown's Cresent Avenue restaurant row-SOUTH CITY KITCHEN,FRONTPAGE NEWS and VICKERY- has a new player:STALEY'S GRACE.The bistro is located at the corner of 12th and Cresent and from the looks of of things it promises to be a strong presence on the avenue.

Rumors are swirling about a famous New York chef who is planning a restaurant at the Georgian Terrace Hotel.

Stay tuned for further details.

Be good people.

Last weekend marked the grand opening of the High Museum of Art's expansion designed by renowned architect Renzo Piano.It also provided an opportunity for a lot of people to sample the offerings at the Piano designed restaurant,TABLE 1280. The standing room only crowd that prevailed during my museum visit also prevented me from sampling the fare. But for the third time-I sneaked a couple of peeks prior to its' opening- I was struck by how well the modern,minimalist setting blended gallery like with the High's campus.Three words here:sleek,suave and sophisticated.Having eaten at Chef Shaun Doty's previous critically acclaimed restaurants, downtown's eclectic MUMBO JUMBO and Midtown's MID-CITY CUISINE,I was primed to experience his new challenge.Apparently,so were a number of other people,a whole lot of them in fact that night.Will try reservations-lunch is now being served- in the future and report back.

NEWS and NOTES :

The 2006 AAA 5 diamond awards have been announced and in Atlanta the winners are-ok,say it along with me:

SEEGER'S and THE DINING ROOM at the Ritz Carlton.For those who maintain that there isn't any fine dining in downtown,ATLANTA GRILL,CITY GRILL,THE FOOD STUDIO and NIKOLAI'S ROOF all were awarded 4 diamonds.

Husband and wife team Joseph Truex and Mihko Mobunal will open REPAST,a 3,00

square foot restaurant with 75 seats and a patio, early 2006 in the Ponce Springs lofts located in the Old Fourth Ward.

P'CHEEN,an international bistro and pub,has opened in the Old Fourth Ward next to HIGHLAND BAKERY.Chef Alex Friedman,late of Buckhead's ANIS CAFE& BISTRO,offers international fare,a full bar and more than 20 wines by the glass.

Speaking of Buckhead,SPONDIVITS,the local casual seafood restaurant mini-chain with locations in Cumming,Georgia and the airport area is opening up a Buckhead location on Pharr Road in the ground floor of the Alexan apartments.The location previously housed the short lived TIB'S GRILL.

Question of the week: What Buckhead based restaurant group is looking to expand it's empire to Boca Raton,Florida in the near future?

Until the next time,stay tuned .

I returned to Atlantic Station this week for a luncheon meeting and experienced a great meal and great service all in one location. COPELAND'S CHEESECAKE BISTRO is a New Orleans import that features a huge menu;a warm and modern setting and ,at least yesterday,outstanding service.Although it has been opened for less than a month ,the place has been drawing big crowds ,according to my dining companion ,who was on her 6th visit in three weeks.After I started on my appetizer,a crab cake ,I began to see why.

After the first bite ,I began to hum the Campbell's soup song.The large ,succulent and meaty cake was smothered in a shrimp,crawfish and mushroom filled sauce that was outstanding. I followed it up with an entree of a gumbo and salad .The gumbo was very spicy and the seafood salad t was chock full of shrimp,crawfish and oyster. The greens were crisp and the honey mustard dressing was not cloying or overly sweet.As good as the meal was the service was even more noteworthy.Our waiter went above and beyond the call of duty several times to make our experience a truly memorable one,including going in search of a certain party-who shall remain nameless-who was a half hour late.I,..er,the party had a mix up on the time.

When you are in the mood for some down home N'awlins cooking,check these folks out.

NEWS and NOTES:

Speaking of Atlantic Station,LOBBY,the Bob Amick creation,will open at Twelve Atlantic Station on December 5. The 5,000 square foot restaurant will serve as not only the restaurant for the hotel portion of Twelve but will also offer room service to the residents of the condo portion as well.Sweet.

LETTUCE SOUPRISE YOU,the 1980's local salad bar restaurant chain that went out of business in the 1990's,has a small unit that recently opened at 239 Ponce de Leon Avenue.

AJC dining crtic Meridith Ford is reporting that Lance Gummere,chef for a day at MID CITY CUISINE,is currently working with his former boss,Shaun Doty,at TABLE 1280 and that Daniel Porubiansky who was filling as head chef at the DINING ROOM at the Ritz Carlton until a replacement for Bruno Menard was found-and a candidate for the job-is now at SEEGER'S.

It is now official ,the long rumored St. Regis Atlanta Hotel and Residences was formally announced last week. It will be one of only 9 such properties in the world and will be located at 100 West Paces Ferry Rd,across from SEEGER'S.The Phoenix City's latest posh palace will feature 150 rooms and 50 condos,over half of which are already sold at about $2 million a pop. But the best part from my point of view is the part of the press release that stated that the Hotel will have a "signature St Regis restaurant".Could that be the reason that Herr Seeger has revamped his operation?

Hope everyone had a great holiday and dined sufficient. Talk with you soon.

I had the privilege and pleasure of briefly chatting with Chef Richard Blais this week and came away impressed with and excited by his passion for his craft.Chef Blais is the local guru of molecular gastronomy or as he terms it,techno organic cooking.Molecular gastronomy is the term coined by French scientist Herve This.It is an approach to the culinary arts that pushes the envelope of the appearance,taste and presentation of food in ways that can excite and challenge diners.Or ,be off-putting.As a highly regarded member of an international fraternitity that includes England's Heston Blumenthal ,chef of the 2005 world's best restaurant,THE FAT DUCK,Chef Bais moves in some very prominent circles.But he is about collaberation with rather than competition among his fellow travelers.More on this point later.

In the few months that have marked his tenure at ONE: MIDTOWN KITCHEN,he has revived ONE'S reputation as a see and be seen hot spot and is building a new following among those who seek cutting edge culinary offerings. His Tasting menu's, currently served only on Monday and Tuesdays,are drawing gourmounds from near and far..The Tasting menu features some of the highlights from his star crossed venture ,BLAIS as well as some of his latest creations. He said that as he and his team grow ,he will expand the menu to include more of his creations onto the regular menu and expand the range of the Tasting menu.I believe a lot of people ,including yours truely are looking forward to that.

I asked him what he had on his plate for 2006-notice the clever use of wording here? He said that he was very excited about the opportunity to stage with Heston Blumenthal in England.He will cook with him for about a month,probably some time during the summer,in order to enhance his craft and to set the stage for some of his team to possibly stage there as well. Folks,this is B-I-G! Our guy is going to bring back the skills and techniques of one of the world's greatest chefs and share it with us here in the ATL(.I guess every day is opening day.)

After our all to brief chat,I thought about several things I would have liked to have discussed with chef Richard but the one thing that I was real clear on was that we are truely lucky to have a chef with his drive and talent among us.

NEWS and NOTES:

Nick Oltarsh,formerly of MURPHY'S by way of ELEVEN MADISON PARK ,will be the opening chef at LOBBY@Twelve,the Bob Amick and Novare Group collaberation at Atlantic Station. According to the web site,the opening is December7th.LOBBY will be" a high energy casual dining American kitchen..with a great lobby bar".This is a promotion by the way,MURPHY'S is one Amick's Concentrics Hospitality clients.

Gregg McCarthy,most recently head of culinary operations at Ray's restaurants-RAY'S ON THE RIVER et al.- has replaced Chef Nick at MURPHY'S.

Jay Swift,top toque at Alpharetta's RAINWATER,has been invited to cook at the James Beard House,Saturday,January 21,2006. Congratulations.

Chef Linton Hopkins,a native Atlantan,is highlighting the Southern cuisine he was raised on at RESTAURANT EUGENE.He has started serving "The Sunday Supper" featuring entree's like country fried chicken with white pepper gravey every Sunday from 5pm until 9pm. Sounds like an invitation to me.

GRAVEYARD TAVERN,a neighborhood bistro,opened November 30th at 1245 Glenwood Road in East Atlanta.

Question of the week: What will the Wolfgang Puck, Ritz Carlton LLC partnership mean to Atlanta?

Be careful out there people,tis the season to ... just be careful.

For Bob Amick and his crew,the hits just keep on coming.I visited LOBBY,the latest in a seemingly unbroken chain of innovative and creative Amick restaurants, this week and was awed.Not only by the restaurant but by the brief glimpse of the Twelve Hotel and Residences as well. Words like sleek,suave and sophistcated do not begin to do it justice.Think W meets PIEBAR and you have just scatched the surface of the ambience presented in the lobby lobby.

But when you enter the LOBBY,then you are transported to a modern space that both comforts and captures you with its' charm and grace.the art, digital black and white pix of various scenes from the hotel as well as some abstracts,is perfectly attuned to the overall atmosphere. The space affords an opportunity to linger at the bar/pizza oven , sit down in a corner nook or gaze out on Atlantic Station's ever growing street scene.the lighting further captures the film noir setting. All in all the setting is worth a visit. But then there is the food.the menu is divided: Before,appetizers include chicken and watercress soup,sage roasted quail,Cru 3 ways(hamachi,artic char,lump crab) and beef short ribs.Wood Oven,pizzas include margherita,robiola and sausage meatballs.Dinner,starting with the LOBBY burger at $9 up to the New York strip at $26,this is casual food with an eye to not only walk in trade but room service as well.I almost forgot the desserts;my bad. Johnathan St. Hilaire looks like he is going to offer his best foot forward with the samples I tried.The wine list,however, is modest at best.

A friend remarked that she felt as though she.."stepped out of Atlanta and stepped into New York",and she spent major time in New York.So,that LOBBY has a certain flair about is clear,let's see if it continues the string of success that its siblings have enjoyed.But from me to you: I think it will.

NEWS andNOTES:

SPOON,a Thai restaurant,has opened in the Hotel Roxy ,located on Maietta Street across from Georgia Tech.

Paul Albrecht has landed.PAUL'S at PEACHTREE HILLS-nee PHILLIPE"S-is now open.

POP,the Decatur,grab and go cafe/bar,has fizzed out.( Did not last 6 months)

Hearing good things about the much anticipated TROIS:4 kitchens;a glass staircase designed by a London architect and a former BACCHANALIA chef as the top toque. Stay tuned ,it's just starting to get good.

• 2 weeks later...

As the year 2005 winds down ,I would like to take a moment to reflect on the ATL'S dining scene over this last twelve months.First off,it was a very good year for small town..strike that , m-u-s-t focus.Ok.The ranks of intown dining options rose dramatically.Between Bob Amick and Tom Catherall,urban chic was in,intown.Outside the Perimeter saw growth as well with the likes of GRACE 17.20. But the most significant trend from my perspective was the continuing growth of the neighborhood restos.

Atlanta has long been at the top of the 5 star ratings with the perennial duo of SEEGERS and the DINING ROOM at the Ritz Carlton Buckhead.On the other end of the spectrum,if there is a major restaurant chain that is not represented here ,it soon will be. There was a hole in our soul in terms of good food at a good price point where everyone knows your name and you can eat without either taking out an additional mortgage or wearing the latest from Milan.This has changed the dining scene and from where I sit, for the better squared.

The change has been fed by the resurgence of intown neighborhoods.To cite just a few : Atlantic Station,in west Midtown;Inman Park,on the eastside of downtown and East Atlanta.COPELAND's CHEESECAKE BISTRO,KROG BAR and the late and lamented IRIS are all examples, albeit on differing scales, of the neighborhood spot that is more than a dive or a fast food joint.These are harbingers of things to come,good things.

Other significant events include the passing of the torch at the DINING ROOM ; the first 5 star rating by the AJC given to QUINNONES;John Kessler's departure as the AJC's food critic;and, the closing of southside hotspot OSCAR'S.

And just to gild the lilly,what if Seeger and Soto,two of 2005's comeback kids and two very close friends, collaborated on a venture.Just something to think about going forward.

Well there you have it ,my ruminations on the 2005 places and faces. I will be on a holiday hiatus for the next two weeks. I would like to wish everyone a happy and safe Holiday season and a prosperous New Year!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we made it to another year.And what a year it was.Now 2006 looms and just to get the party started, here is what I'm hoping will happen on the ATL's dining scene this year.

First of all,I would love to see Chateau Elan took one of the derelict hotel buildings in downtown/midtown and turn it into an urban resort complete with their signature spas,restaurants and a wine bar modeled after the DIABLO GRANDE WINE GALLERY.their trendy San Francisco boite.

The Diablo Grande Wine Gallery showcases award winning 100% estate bottled wines from Diablo Grande and Isom Ranch Vineyards, the company's wine country property.

Second,I hope that the developers of the proposed downtown W hotel and Residences goes for the most cutting edge restaurant and lounge for their property. The W chain has established itself as an international style icon and this location,adjacent to Centennial Olympic Park,begs for the sizzle that the W has brought to cities around the world.If we can have the world's biggest-and best-aquarium,why can't we have the world's best W hotel with a restaurant to match? IMJS

Third,wouldn't it be great if the Culinary Institute of America(CIA) recognized the value of Southern cuisine in general and Atlanta's contribution specificly,by opening a southern branch here. There are enough industry bigfoots here to make that happen IMO.

Fourth, wouldn't be interesting if Kevin Rathbun would get the backing to open a Kansas City steakhouse based on his hometown experiences ,with all of the bells and whistles?

Fifth,Atlanta has experienced the design genius of the Johnson Studio,the theatrical approach of the the Rockwell Group and will soon be exposed to Dodd Mitchell's west coast flava.How about a taste of Tihany Design to add to the constellation of restaurant design stars that have already shone their light on us.

Last,but certainly not least, I would love to see a serious haute cuisine Asian restaurant come on line here. I am talking on a 5 star level that has folks from Asia flying in to check it out.It would probably have to be part of a hotel to survive here but we have some classic chefs ,who if they collaborated,could certainly pull off the quality end of the deal.Maybe a 5 star continental chef and a world class sushi chef- n'cest pas?

Well there you have it ,my wish list for the new year.Stick around and let's see if any of it comes true.

NEWS and NOTES:

Brothers Joseph and John Spagnido have opened the third location of their popular Italian eatery,SUGO,in Duluth's ritzy Shoppes of St. Ives.

RE'PAST,the old Fourth ward eatery scheduled to open this month,will feature some innovative cooking equipment-the Rational System is a device that can bake,roast,steam etc., all in one unit.

A local weekly alt is reporting that ROMAN LILLY,an Old Fourth Ward standard, may be forced to close/relocate due to rising rent costs. One of the unintended consequences of urban revitalization is that the pioneers,both individual and institutional,are often priced out of the market that they helped create.

Chris Pyun,co-founder and chef at HI-LIFE KITCHEN and COCKTAILS,has returned to the Duluth resto after spending two years in downtown Dallas ,Texas's JEROBAUM as executive chef.He has a new menu in place already.

The AJC reports that the possible opening of seven new restaurants is renewing hope for the rebirth of the East Atlanta neighborhood. The article mentions IRIS as one of the former mainstays in the area and states that a group is going to put an upscale resto in the spot. This is good news ,will keep an eye on things there.

Who loves ya people !

An Atlanta alt weekly is reporting that the much anticipated Bob Amick French fantasy,TROIS, has a chef.

Brandon McGlamery,formerly at the Bay area's famed CHEZ PANISSE;San Fran's STARS and,locally,souse chef at BACCHANALIA,will be the opening chef at the Midtown eatery.TROIS is scheduled to open June 5th with a bar that will serve designer cocktails;a 150 seat dining room connected to the bar via a dramatic staircase and elevator; and, a 125 seat private event space that can be subdivided for various style events.In preparation for his debut,Chef McGlamery is staging at NYC hot spots PER SE and CRU! He along with pastry padre Johnathen St.Hillary will begin to compose their menus this spring.Folks sounds as if we better hold on to our seatbelts for this one.

NEWS and NOTES:

In a related matter,TROIS sibling at the 1180 Peachtree tower,TAP, will open in November as a British pub.

MID-CITY CUISINE has hired Nicholas Crawford as pastry chef.His resume includes CHEZ PANISSE and Paris's MAISON FACHON. Welcome Chef Nicholas.

The word on the street is that Castleberry Hill's SLICE will open a second location in downtown's Fairle Poplar district at the former ICON location.

The Fifth Group's Midtown restaurant ,ECCO,has finally started construction.The Bill Johnson designed bistro is scheduled for a fall debut.

The latest rumor to hit the ATL is that our own Richard Blais will be an Iron Chef competitor this fall

See you same time ,same place next week.

The latest rumor to hit the ATL is that our own Richard Blais will be an Iron Chef competitor this fall

Now that would be well worth watching! Hope that the rumor is true and everyone can enjoy Blais' work as he creates his unique culinary masterpieces! Thanks for the heads up here, micropundit! We'll wait to see how things materialize!

Had the occasion to hit downtown's latest Thai hotspot ,SPOON , for lunch last week and(anticipation mounting) was impressed with the food and future of the nascent eatery.Accompanied by a local industry bigfoot,I found that my experience highlighted a growing trend here in the ATL,good food at affordable prices at a neighborhood focused restaurant.The lunch menu offers a variety of noodle and curry dishes along with stir frys and fried rice for between $6.95 to $7.50.Appetizers run between $3.75-$4.95.Note: get the flan with the Tamarind sorbet,outstanding!

Speaking of Tamarind ,my friend-the bigfoot-said that they had been to NAN'S earlier in the week and the food at SPOON was just as good at one third the price.With a location at 688 Marietta Street , just a couple of blocks from the Georgia Aquarium and across the street from (Georgia)Tech parkway,this intown gem could have serious legs.

Sidebar:Elliot Mackle,former dining critic of the AJC turned author,walked into the restaurant while I was eating.It was good to see him and see that he was doing and looking well.He shared with me that there will be a new-but familiar-name added to the AJC dining masthead soon.Interesting.

NEWS and NOTES:

The Buckhead Life Group goes south.According to the Atlanta Business Chronicle, the BLG,has hired a new COO to guide it 's expansion plans and has targeted tony Boca Raton,Florida as the first candidate.A 200 seat CHOPS LOBSTER BAR,designed by The Johnson Studio, will be a part of a major downtown project slated for completion this winter.Several other restaurants are being planned for the Southeast and beyond.

Speaking of the BLG,KYMA,their much lauded greek resto,turns 4 this week and there will be a big party Thursday,January 18th at the restaurant starting at 7 pm.

Dean Depuis is the new executive chef at SOUTH CITY KITCHEN-Midtown. He replaces Tim McGee,who will assume the helm of the new SOUTH CITY KITCHEN-Vinings.Chef Depuis comes to us from LA COQILLE in Hamilton,Bermuda. Welcome to town guy.

RE-PAST,the OLD Fourth Ward modern american eatery,is scheduled to open February 10th.

THE SPOTTED DOG,the long awaited gastro pub on North avenue ,is finally open.

WILDFIRE,Chicago based Lettuce Entertainment's newest steak,chops and seafood concept,will open in Perimeter Mall this fall.From the press release.." .Wildfire transports you to the aura of a 1940's dinner club. From the décor to the jazz music, Wildfire has the style and warmth that makes it perfect for an evening with friends or just the two of you. The vintage jazz music and photos of star entertainers complete the atmosphere at Wildfire."

Rumors abound that, SWEET DEVIL MOON, in Decatur will be closing in a few weeks and will be relocating to the recently closed Fishmonger location at 10th & Piedmont in Midtown. A Mexican/taqueria style restaurant is slated to replace it.

Have a good one people,take care.

It is now official,in spite of all of the attempts by the various organizations,interest groups and assorted individuals to the otherwise-Midtown is the epicenter of cool in Atlanta.At least according to the local weekly alt Creative Loafing.(Backstory.Here in Atlanta there is a conflict amongst the chattering classes as to which of the urban bailiwicks has the coolest/hottest restaurants;hotels; condos,etc. We seem to have forgotten about our southern siblings and their respective claims to southern superiority and now are subsumed by our intramural conflicts.)

They did an interesting article on the coming of age so to speak of Atlanta in terms of architectural expression and focus.The Metropolis condominiums-home to Asian chic SILK;the proposed Atlanta Symphony Center;and,1180 Peachtree,aka,Symphony Tower-the home of TROIS and TAP-were all cited as examples of hoe the new age of enlightenment has reached our fair shores.And I tend to agree to a degree based upon the number of projects either under way or recently announced. However,this "progress" comes with a price: some of the cities oldest and most established restaurants are being pushed out in the name of progress.

Just recently,BRIDGETOWN GRILL,a long time Midtown caribbean eatery closed suddenly along with its neighbor AGATHA's DINNER THEATER,due to an impending development project that proposes to demolish their building. Down the street,the barely 2 year old,Vision nightclub is shutting done for a mixed use tower .Add the Indian restaurant that closed after 23 years at the corner of Peachtree and 12 th street,you have a trend .A trend that is some what bitter sweet.While no one looks forward with more anticipation to opening of some of these projects and their accompanying restos,I will miss some of the pioneers who made them possible by paving the way when Midtown was NOT the epicenter of cool.

NEWS and NOTES:

David Silverman,late of PRIME,has been named top toque at its sibling STRIP STEAK and SUSHI at Atlantic Station.The 13,000 sq ft tri- level, spot,will feature a Johnson Studio design and a prominent position on AS's Central Park.

Christopher Wilson,formerly corporate chef for Emeril Lagasse's restaurant empire,has been named Chef de Cuisine at EMERIL'S Atlanta.Chef Chris was relocated to Atlanta by Katrina and now is here to stay.Welcome aboard.

On Wednesday, February 1,Paso Robles Grand Tasting Tour comes to the ATL's Fox Theater to tape PBS's "The New Wine Makers" a"reality show" that will focus on the trials and tribulations of novice wine makers.This is a casting call as well as an opportunity to be part of the audience.

SABROSA TAPAS,nee TIJUANA GRILL, has opened in the Little 5 points 'hood.

Post Script: In re above discussion;if the AJC's description of the Glenn Hotel/BED restaurant is even remotely accurate-....the Glenn's backdrops of chocolate leather,burnt orange linen,mahogany wood,black marble and purple faux crocodile"-I am definitely going to rethink the vote.The pix were primarily of models but the spiral staircase leading to the second level of BED looks like I need to be there .

'Till we meet again

In spite of Atlanta's growing culinary prominence ,until last week there has not been ,in my opinion,a concerted effort on the part of the local media to highlight its success on the national food scene.Aside from occasional articles when a local restaurant received honors such as Esquire magazine's annual new restaurant awards,there was very little ink devoted to the market as a whole.Most restaurants therefore relied on national publications and word of mouth to attract the growing numbers of out of town visitors to our lovely burg who were hungry and wanted good,if not great eats.My question is why is there not such an effort given Atlanta's eternal quest for recognition? Especially in the one area where there is a legitimate claim for such attention.Well after reading the January 26,edition of the AJC's Food and Drink section,I began to have hope.

John T. Edge,no stranger to the e-gullet faithful,is penning a series of articles on Southern regional cuisine that seems to have the focus and depth to begin to advocate for the culinary greatness that abounds in the region.Who knows,maybe their might eventually be a focus on the locals that are doing great and wonderful things right under our respective noses. And here is why:

Chadwick Martin Bailey, a market research company in Boston, has released the results of a national survey about the value of word-of-mouth recommendations, which it calls advocacy. Their study showed that 27 percent of Americans went to a restaurant because of such a recommendation and that the more expensive the restaurant, the more important advocacy recommendations were.(!)

"An advocate is an evangelist not content to merely pass along or comment on 'the latest thing,' " said Judy Melanson, a vice president of Chadwick Martin Bailey. "Advocacy is different than buzz."

So your intrepid servant here will practice some "advocacy" going forward.

NEWS and NOTES:

Ted does Manhatten.Yes people,those delicious bison burgers will now be available to the citizens of the Big Apple.TED's MONTANA GRILL will open in Roc Center in the Time Life building this Spring.

Speaking of New York,ROSA MEXICANO,the favorite Mexican resto for many New Yorkers, will open Wednesday,February 1,at Atlantic Station. Viva la revolution.

ZOCALA,the local Mexican fave,will open a third location this Spring in Grant Park,not far from the Atlanta Zoo.

TARRAZU,the trendy,upscale Midtown coffe bar,will open TARRAZU UPTOWN on MLK jr Dr .

There are some strong rumors out there that BRASSERIE LA COZE will relocate downtown near the Georgia Aquarium.

Chow!

there is a legitimate claim for such attention.Well after reading the January 26,edition of the AJC's Food and Drink section,I began to have hope.

John T. Edge,no stranger to the e-gullet faithful,is penning a series of articles on Southern regional cuisine that seems to have the focus and depth to begin to advocate for the culinary greatness that abounds in the region.

thread on John T. Edge's article here :wink:

Just to satisfy my curiosity, I visited the BED restaurant at the Glenn hotel in downtown Atlanta last week for lunch and to take a quick look see at the place that promises to change the entire Atlanta dining scene.

First,the Glenn hotel is definitely not your father's Oldsmobile.Located in a circa 1923 office building that had lain vacant for several years,the hotel/restaurant/lounge adds a new flava to Atlanta's scene,dining and otherwise.Picture TWO URBAN LICKS at 1/4 th scale;quieter and on several levels.The effect is Atlanta urban chic-as interpreted so well by the Johnson Studio: cool art; hot lighting both inside and out(check it out at night) and, lots of exposed brick and pipes.You are not in the the same old,same old here.

BED,the restaurant is part of a newly formed group's expansion plans that anticipate an international chain stretching from Miami to Asia in the next to years.The Atlanta edition has been toned down from its Miami and New York siblings partly due to the fact that it is not a stand alone club but part of a hotel.Nicolas "Nico" Romo,late of the THE CAFE at EAST ANDREWS (and those annoying tv commercials),has been hired as the opening chef.He will offer patrons the French -American contemporary fusion menu that has become one of BED's hallmarks.Nico has also worked as sous chef at the Ritz Carlton Buckhead and the Peabody Hotel in Memphis,Tennessee.

BED's menu will include such signature dishes as pan seared foie gras with caramelized mango and French toast and cranberry gastric along with a lobster tail dish of roasted pineapple,celery,grape tomatoes with coconut cashew ginger sauce.The bar promises deliver on the wow factor also.Dale DeGroff,the "King of Coctails",promises to reach into his bag of over 400 original recipes garnered while tending bar at venues such as The Rainbow Room in New York's Rockefeller Center.

Of course the lunch menu, geared to the business crowd,is somewhat less exciting.But my broiled Dolphin sandwich was prepared spot on. My dining companion had a veggie sandwich that impressed the hell out of her.Prices hovered in the $7-15 range.Service was attentive but perhaps because it was only the second day of operation somewhat slow. After lunch,served on the ground floor level.we were given a tour of the second level-there will be a third up on the roof. The second level had more beds and a sexier vibe. The roof will only be available to hotel quests and "members".No one could explain who the members would be or how to become one.But hey... .Anywho,I will return to dine as well as check out the scene,'cause I know it's going to get hotter :because now the ATL has a place where you can lounge;eat ,before or after a show at Phillips,the Tabernacle or at the theater and experience the velvet rope routine,all in one location.I plan on bringing a whole new meaning to the term embedded journalist.

NEWS and NOTES :

PARK 75 at the Four Seasons Atlanta will be getting a make over this summer to enhance the dining experience further. A recent meal has convinced me that this has got to be one of the top 5 tables in town.

A new Korean hotspot,SUL LANG TANG,has opened on Buford Highway and has local foodies buzzing.

GRAPE LEAF GRILL.a Vietnamese resto,is creating waves in Marietta.

CHIN CHIN,the local Asian food chain,has opened a West Midtown location at 1715 Howell Mill Road.

Next week,look for my take on the AJC's piece on Atlanta's spreading influence on the Southeast dining scene.

Be good.

Next week,look for my take on the AJC's piece on Atlanta's spreading influence on the Southeast dining scene.

Eating up Atlanta's influence from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution (register for free to read) ...

With 4.6 million people living in the metro area, Atlanta is by far the largest and wealthiest city east of Houston and south of Washington. the city has emerged as a major player on the national restaurant scene. With ambitious new development comes ambitious new dining

"I couldn't imagine not ranking Atlanta among the top 10 restaurant cities in America," says John Mariani ...  "The benediction of being a big-deal Atlanta restaurant, I think, carries weight."

In the matter of John Kessler's article "Eating up Atlanta's influence" in last Sunday's AJC,I observed the following:finally,someone in the local media is saying what national observers have been saying for years-the ATL is hot "stuff" regarding restaurants.

Now none of this is new to you my faithful readers.However,JK took it to a whole 'nother level with a insightful and interesting analysis of the who,what where and whys of Atlanta's rise to culinary prominence in the Southeast.I was so impressed that I called him to congratulate him and to get a line on what inspired him to pursue this story.He said that he was getting more and more inquiries from around the country about what was going on here from trade publications ;food industry professionals and foodies and it became clear to him that there was a story here.And so..voila! By the way,look for an upcoming article by JK in Food and Wine around the themes outlined in the AJC piece.

While I concur with the general thesis of the article,I believe that it did not go far enough.Not only is Atlanta the culinary trend setter in the Southeast,a compelling case can be made that it is now the "it" city for the entire South as well.Why? Because the ATL dining scene is expanding from "glam-bam",as JK framed it,to being the driver for the most dynamic urban development in the South.ROSA MEXICANO,for example,did not choose to make Atlanta it's first southern location-before Miami- on a whim or caprice.Atlantic Station is on the national radar in a major,major way.(Wait until ATLIENS get a load of what GEISHA HOUSE is and what it is going to bring to the city-think BUDDAKAN only cali style).And the partnership that is now spreading the BED concept internationally has placed downtown Atlanta on the rolls of such international travel blogs as Gridskipper with their Glenn Hotel project.All of these concepts could have gone into any number of cities but they chose Atlanta.

And it is not only the restaurants that are drawing all the attention,Bill Johnson of the Johnson Studio architects has been tapped to design upscale restaurants from Vegas to Palm Beach.In fact the uber designers' first New York project,BARBOUNIA,was recently reviewed by the New York Times and the design was highlighted in the review.

Bob Amick is becoming a national figure with his eatertainment offerings;now comes TROIS and his venture into haute cuisine that promises to light up not only the hot Midtown scene but the national one as well.I could go on but I believe you take my point:Now let me clear here,there is still more than a little parochialism here. However,Atlanta is an rapidly evolving community whose increased national recognition in the arts;sciences and culture is now being matched by its culinary offerings.All we need now is more advocates like John Kessler to spread the gospel.

NEWS and NOTES:

Speaking of ROSA MEXICANO, I had dinner there with a local industry big foot last week and people RM es muy bueno.I found the setting,the sauces and the service all to be top notch.

POZOLE,a sibling to Poncy Highland's WISITERIA,will open today,February 13 at the old SURIN'S spot in Virgina highland on Greenwood Avenue.Joey Masi,formerly the opening chef at ONE MIDTOWN KITCHEN,will be one of the top toques for a menu that will include an eclectic blend of Mexican and Spanish fare at neighborhood friendly prices.

Speaking of siblings,ENOCATA CARBONARI,BARAONODA'S sibling has opened in Midtown next store.Early reports indicate that it has an outstanding wine selection-in the KROG BAR,GRAPE tradition- as well as an outstanding menu that includes roast suckling pig. Hmmm..suckling pig.

Thanks for taking the time to check me out,see next week .

In an early February edition,Business Week Online profiled Atlanta's Atlantic Station as part of a story on the emerging "new urbanism" trend that it noted,favorably, is spreading across the American landscape.The focus was on the sense of community,excitement and opportunity offered to residents of these "mini-cities".Many of them are young,professionals seeking an alternative to the cookie cutter suburbs and seeking relief from traffic by locating closer to their jobs.The bottom line was that Atlantic Station and its' siblings, so to speak, have built a better mousetrap and the cheese is offering their residents easy access to all of the things they want.Which brings me to STRIP STEAK and SUSHI,a metaphor for Atlanta's new urbanism and its' appeal.

Had an opportunity to tour the recently opened Here to Serve Restaurants latest venture last week courtesy of the lovely Ms.Sari Bernstein,Here to Serve's Director of Marketing.It is a hip,high energy place that offers high end food at fast casual prices.The slick Johnson Studio design offers black faux crocodile booths;hot red corner nooks ;a sushi bar ;roof top dining ;and a DJ booth all wrapped around a industrial chic format.In contrast to TAURUS,a recently opened chop house located less than 2 miles away,STRIP aims for the excitement that Atlantic Station is building throughout the country-an urbane experience that is convenient,affordable and communal..The crowds ,according to Sari,include tourists,residents and movie patrons who just drop in prior to or post movie at the theater located just across the street.

Because this was just a quick look see,I will report further as the warm weather allows for a roof top dining experience.

NEWS and NOTES:

Among the reported 400 guests at BED'S VIP opening part last Thursday was Turner South's Marvin Woods.Marvin is in the process of moving his family to Atlanta and scouting around for a possible restaurant location in the ATL.He is quite serious about this.More on this in a later column.

According to Marvin,we may see some orange clogs traipsing in town soon.Multo Mario Batali himself-of the $12million DEL POSTO- is interested and looking at this market.

TRIOS's three architectural gurus are: Kenneth E. Hopgood,of Raleigh,North Carolina;Chris McFarland,a leading glass designer out of London,England and,John Oetgen,an Atlanta based interior designer who designed CITY GRILL.Look for an absolutely spectacular scheme from these guys' collaboration.

Some not so good news.SOTO,the Buckhead sushi house will close at the end of the month and rumors suggest the the head chef will depart our fair shores for another city.

LUXE,the former downtown sibling of the late .lamented OSCAR'S ,has closed.

Until next week people.