• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Bacon Around Town

buttercup

I woke up this morning with an incredible bacon craving. Guess I needed something high-octaine to get past the front page of the newspaper.

Who has got the best bacon?

My recent experience was in this little restaurant in Middleberg, Hidden Horse or something, out of nowhere eureka :shock: my bacon cheese burger was hiding incredible bacon. I took it right off the bun and ate it in its purest form. I need more good bacon......where is it?

Also worth mentioning, the Nieman ranch applewood thick sliced package you can obtain at Trader Joes.

Edited to clarify: it's the bacon that's thick sliced :raz:

Edited by FunJohnny (log)

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

The Wegman's house brand thick-cut, uncured nitrate free bacon is darned good. I've been using it as a motivator to get the imp (age 4.9 and currently going through an unpleasantly uncooperative phase) to dress herself in the mornings.

Surprisingly, the Original Pancake Houses (at least the Rockville one) has excellent lean, meaty bacon. Not overcooked - crispy with the right amount of chewiness.

At the Dupont Circle & Arlington farmer's market, there is bacon sold by PolyFace. My friends and I bought some to make BLTs one day. According to my friend who has family from the South, it tastes like "Carolina country ham" . It's different and worth a try. You could use it in spaghetti carbonara along with pancetta. (Hmm...I know where I'm going this Sunday!)

Gotta love the pork products. Woo hoo!

Also worth mentioning, the Nieman ranch applewood thick sliced package you can obtain at Trader Joes.

Edited to clarify: it's the bacon that's thick sliced  :raz:

I'll have to give that a try. My wife and I love thick-sliced bacon, and we used to buy West Virginia brand in the market until it became too expensive. Now we generally buy Giant's store brand thick-sliced bacon. Good stuff!

I also like Cibolla's bacon (unsmoked and nice for Italian dishes) at Dupont Circle farmers market on Sunday. Also Truckpatch sometimes has bacon at Rose Park Farmers Market on Saturdays.

At the Dupont Circle & Arlington farmer's market, there is bacon sold by PolyFace.  My friends and I bought some to make BLTs one day.  According to my friend who has family from the South, it tastes like "Carolina country ham" .  It's different and worth a try.  You could use it in spaghetti carbonara along with pancetta.  (Hmm...I know where I'm going this Sunday!) 

Gotta love the pork products.  Woo hoo!

I also like Cibolla's bacon (unsmoked and nice for Italian dishes) at Dupont Circle farmers market on Sunday.  Also Truckpatch sometimes has bacon at Rose Park Farmers Market on Saturdays.
At the Dupont Circle & Arlington farmer's market, there is bacon sold by PolyFace.  My friends and I bought some to make BLTs one day.  According to my friend who has family from the South, it tastes like "Carolina country ham" .  It's different and worth a try.  You could use it in spaghetti carbonara along with pancetta.  (Hmm...I know where I'm going this Sunday!) 

Gotta love the pork products.  Woo hoo!

On an unrelated note, Cibolla's has the best buffalo meat sticks. Very tasty. I'll have to try their bacon, thanks!