• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

pargiot

I stopped in at one of the local Israeli restaurants in my neighborhood the other day. I ordered falafel as usual. I think falafel is the best fast food planet -- I would give up hamburgers forever if falafel were available on every street corner.

My wife ordered pargiot, or what I think is translated into English as "young chicken". The pargiot is what I am trying to figure out. Is it a young chicken? It's seems like it's smaller than a Cornish hen. That brings up another question. Is a Cornish hen a young chicken? I e-mailed my local poultry shop and inquired about spring chickens. They said the closest thing they had to Spring chickens were fryers, which weigh 3-3.5 lbs. Is anyone familiar with the specifics on what exactly pargiot or young chicken is? Are they available in your area?

TIA,

Rich

South Florida

I stopped in at one of the local Israeli restaurants in my neighborhood the other day.  I ordered falafel as usual.  I think falafel is the best fast food planet -- I would give up hamburgers forever if falafel were available on every street corner. 

My wife ordered pargiot, or what I think is translated into English as "young chicken".  The pargiot is what I am trying to figure out.  Is it a young chicken?  It's seems like it's smaller than a Cornish hen.  That brings up another question.  Is a Cornish hen a young chicken?  I e-mailed my local poultry shop and inquired about spring chickens.  They said the closest thing they had to Spring chickens were fryers, which weigh 3-3.5 lbs.  Is anyone familiar with the specifics on what exactly pargiot or young chicken is?  Are they available in your area? 

TIA,

Rich

Hi Rich,

To the best of my understanding Pargiyot are literally young chicken in Hebrew. In Israel it is a Generic name that doesn't necessarily follows its name. When ordering Pargiyot in a restaurant, you may end up getting "plain" (mature) chicken chunks on skewer or "Chicken steak" made of the bird's thighs. (And not the breast).

I believe the name became a kind of "point of sale" declaration that says: "come on, have that chicken. It's young and fresh".

Boaziko

"Eat every meal as if it's your first and last on earth" (Conrad Rosenblatt 1935)

http://foodha.blogli.co.il/

Is a Cornish hen a young chicken?

From my investigations it seems like most chicken sold as "Cornish Game Hens" are actually "Rock Cornish Game Hens" - a cross between the Cornish breed and the White Rock breed. They are a small breed and are slaughtered fairly young - 4 to 6 weeks. Though they can weigh around 2. 5 pounds, they rarely provide more than one "serving" due to a high bone to meat ratio. Though the name is gender specific, unlike with Capon, the bird you buy isn't.

Ciao,

rien

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys for your input. I am going to try replicate Pargiot at home on the grill using trimmed, boneless chicken thighs rather than cornish hens. I don't feel like wrestling with little cornish hen carcasses. Plus, she likes the dark meat better. So, are there any secret Israeli grill spices I should know about? I like to use shawarma seasoning but I am trying to replicate the simple grilled flavor of Israeli-style shipudim chicken here. It never seems to be seasoned with anything other than salt and pepper. Ideas?

TIA,

Rich

South Florida

Thanks guys for your input.  I am going to try replicate Pargiot at home on the grill using trimmed, boneless chicken thighs rather than cornish hens.  I don't feel like wrestling with little cornish hen carcasses. Plus, she likes the dark meat better.  So, are there any secret Israeli grill spices I should know about?  I like to use shawarma seasoning but I am trying to replicate the simple grilled flavor of Israeli-style shipudim chicken here.  It never seems to be seasoned with anything other than salt and pepper. Ideas? 

TIA,

Rich

Hi Rich,

My Pargiyot Skewers (AKA Shipudim) go with the following:

Evoo (not to soak…)

A little Cajon/Mexican or other chilly'd substance.

Crushed garlic

A little salt

Baharat (Spell?)

Sumac

Optional: chopped Parsley, Chopped Zaa'tar, cumin.

If you require the Shawarma flavor go for more Baharat and add some Curry Powder (McCormick does the job).

Enjoy,

Boaziko

"Eat every meal as if it's your first and last on earth" (Conrad Rosenblatt 1935)

http://foodha.blogli.co.il/

Ciao,

My Shipudim are chicken thighs - skin on (gets nice and crispy). Other ingredients are olive oil, salt, pepper, cumin, turmeric, lemon juice and chopped parsley.

I marinate the chix in the oil and spices (all but salt). Then, two hours later i skewer them, season with salt - and grill -

Most important in my opinion is a smokin hot grill - i preheat for 20 or 30 minutes - then change to low and put the meat on the grill - although charcoal would be best!

Ciao,

Ore

(grilled onions, peppers and whole tomatoes would go best with this, as well as some good pita bread...I can't wait for Israel!!)

• 10 years later...

Pargiot means young chickens in Hebrew. Not Cornish hens or anything else. It was introduced to the Israeli culinary scene about 10-15 years ago. Initially it was young chickens cubed and put on skewers. Unfortunately, ever since then it is Pargiot in name only. When you order Pargiot in any Israeli restaurant today you will be served chicken thighs. No Cornish hens or young chickens will ever be used. Restaurant owners tend to use literary license when describing items on menus.