• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh Turkey -- Portland, ME

Ellie

I haven't had a roasted turkey in years. Thought I didn't like it, but it turns out I don't like my Mom's turkey (awful stuff). I'd like to roast one myself this year, but I want the best fresh turkey I can find. I have so far determined that Wild Oats and Whole Grocer each sell fresh, natural turkeys ($2.00/lb and $2.48/lb) that can be ordered in advance. Any other suggestions for fresh and good quality birds? How about fresh, kosher?

Thanks in advance!

Ellie

I haven't had a roasted turkey in years.  Thought I didn't like it, but it turns out I don't like my Mom's turkey (awful stuff).  I'd like to roast one myself this year, but I want the best fresh turkey I can find.  I have so far determined that Wild Oats and Whole Grocer each sell fresh, natural turkeys ($2.00/lb and $2.48/lb) that can be ordered in advance.  Any other suggestions for fresh and good quality birds?  How about fresh, kosher? 

Thanks in advance!

Ellie

I've always gotten our Thanksgiving turkeys at Pat's Meat Market on Stevens Ave in Portland. Not sure about whether they are kosher, but they are from a local farm and very good.

"Democracy is that system of government under which the people…pick out a Coolidge to be head of the State. It is as if a hungry man, set before a banquet prepared by master cooks and covering a table an acre in area, should turn his back upon the feast and stay his stomach by catching and eating flies." H. L. Mencken

The one thing I would say that's an absolute must with any turkey is to make sure you brine it overnight.

If you didn't like your Mom's turkey and you don't brine yours, then cook it, you won't like your turkey either....

Chris

"Democracy is that system of government under which the people…pick out a Coolidge to be head of the State. It is as if a hungry man, set before a banquet prepared by master cooks and covering a table an acre in area, should turn his back upon the feast and stay his stomach by catching and eating flies." H. L. Mencken