• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Garbanzo Beans

Richard Kilgore

So glad this topic is active again! I love chickpeas. Here's one of my favorite pasta dishes. Try it - it's great! You could also use cauliflower instead of zucchini.

Pasta with Zucchini, Chickpeas and Gremolata Breadcrumbs

2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for serving

4 cloves garlic, divided

1 cup freshly made breadcrumbs from good-quality whole wheat or other bread

Grated zest of one lemon

2-3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley

3 medium zucchini (I used one small and one huge), sliced lengthwise and then thinly sliced into half-moons

½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste

Juice of ½ lemon

1 15-oz can chickpeas, drained

½ teaspoon salt

Freshly ground black pepper

¾ pound whole wheat or whole grain blend spaghetti

To make the gremolata breadcrumbs, heat 2 t. olive oil in a skillet, add half the garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Add the bread crumbs, lemon zest and parsley and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until bread crumbs are browned and crispy. Set aside.

Heat the remaining olive oil in a large skillet. Add the zucchini and red pepper flakes, and cook over medium heat, turning frequently with a spatula, until the zucchini is starting to turn golden (about 10 minutes). Add the remaining garlic during the last 3 minutes of cooking time. Stir in the chickpeas, lemon juice, salt and a generous amount of black pepper.

Meanwhile, heat a large pot of water and cook the pasta until al dente. Drain, reserving 3/4 cup of the cooking liquid. Add the reserved liquid to the zucchini mixture and cook for 2 additional minutes. Combine the pasta and squash, and stir gently. Serve topped with the breadcrumbs and a drizzle of olive oil.

Two favorite chickpea dishes, not already mentioned here:

Tajik Chickpea and Onion Stew, from Flatbreads and Flavors by Alford & Duguid: a simple soup with a marvelous twist of seasoning using cinnamon, saffron and cumin, plus peppers. The combination is fabulous, and served with a good cumin & scallion naan, it's as good as meal as I've ever eaten. This is very close to their recipe.

Pasta Con Ceci, from Nonna's Kitchen, by Carol Field: A simple soup, put together from very plain ingredients, that never fails to please. Chickpeas, bit of rosemary, bit of tomato paste, garlic. I'm sure there are many similar recipes online, but this one is particularly nice and easy.

Two favorite chickpea dishes, not already mentioned here:

Tajik Chickpea and Onion Stew, from Flatbreads and Flavors by Alford & Duguid: a simple soup with a marvelous twist of seasoning using cinnamon, saffron and cumin, plus peppers. The combination is fabulous, and served with a good cumin & scallion naan, it's as good as meal as I've ever eaten. This is very close to their recipe.

Pasta Con Ceci, from Nonna's Kitchen, by Carol Field: A simple soup, put together from very plain ingredients, that never fails to please. Chickpeas, bit of rosemary, bit of tomato paste, garlic. I'm sure there are many similar recipes online, but this one is particularly nice and easy.

The recipe sounds good. Do you make your own naan?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Found this Torta de Garbanzo for Lent yesterday on "Cooking in Mexico", a blog I get.

I also have a lovely chickpea salad that I was fed years ago in another lifetime. It had no name. I just called it the chickpea salad.

Ingredients (as I remember them, and as I make them. It was our dear Steve's favorite. And mine too. DH does not like it. But then he is not a chickpea aficionado)

Can of drained and rinsed chickpeas

Grape or cherry tomatoes sliced into halves

Lots of chopped green onions

Olive oil

Lemon juice

Salt & Pepper

Lots of finely chopped parsley

Chile powder (the kind you get in the grocery store marked "Chili Powder".

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

The recipe sounds good. Do you make your own naan?

Yes, the Uighur naan with cumin & onions from Flatbreads & flavors (my favorite cookbook). I don't have a proper tandoor, but with my bricks in the oven I get something that is quite pleasing nonetheless.

This is delicious - I add extra garlic, some spices, such as red pepper flakes, some chopped tomatoes, etc:

FARFALLE WITH SPINACH AND GARBANZO BEANS

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/126

Another good one:

SPAGHETTI ALLA CECI

http://www.recipezaar.com/Spaghetti-Alla-Ceci-Spaghetti-With-Chickpeas-Rachael-Ray-196102

Love Love Love this salad! I use slightly less chickpeas and slightly more green peas, plus a little extra orange juice for the dressing:

CURRIED COUSCOUS SALAD WITH DRIED CRANBERRIES

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=10000000226616

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

I gather you are referring to Dried Garbanzos specifically... Green Garbanzos are delicious.. like Edamame but better.. can be found at Mexican markets. The traditional way to prepare them in Mexico is do NOT shell, after you wash them, drain them very lightly making sure they are still moist.. put them in a clay pot with plenty of salt.. cover with a tight lid and let them cook in their own sweat for about 10 minutes or so over low medium heat.. just nosh on them as an appetizer and throughout the meal.

As for dried Garbanzos.. they are fantastic in the classic Barbacoa Consome (soup made from the drippings of pit roasted lamb)

Other than hummus & others mentioned on here... a delicious classic from Ethiopia is Shiro... pureed chickpeas with onions, clarified butter & the classic Berbere slow cooked to a very thick paste. If you can't find Injera.. the spread is great on a sour roll or a good quality wheat tortilla.