• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'87 Porto Morgado

viaChgo

Last summer I was at a friend's having wine & cheese and they brought out a bottle of this '87 Morgado Port. I was surprised to learn that it was acquired from Trader Joe's for about $10. So I was in Trader Joe's the other day & there were lots of bottles of the stuff in stock.

Does anyone have any info on this particular port? I do remember it being very tasty with the cheese we were having.

1987 was not considered a vintage year. Therefore, bottles with dates from undeclared vintages apply to single vineyard or quintas. Vintages are declared by consortium. Sometimes terrific values can be gleaned by purchasing single quinta bottles in off years from good producers. Given my experience with trader joes and their dubuious yet gloriously priced wine selection, there was probably piles of this unloaded at the corporate level. It is probably an allright bottle, though perhaps on the sweet side. This is large production quaffing port, perfect probably at a cheese party, or for economical gulping when intoxication and diabetes are the key goals, and/or if you are in the mood for something completely unuanced. For about 4 bucks (or maybe even 3 dollars more) you can buy the Smith & Woodhouse Lodgehouse reserve vintage character, a ruby like the Morgado yet most certainly includes declassified barrels from serveral outstadning declared vintages (1994 & 2000) among them.

The other fabu value in the port department is the little known but largely loved Banyuls. Banyuls is a portesque delicious treat made in the South of France that employs Grenache Noir grapes fortified in the port style. More chocolatey and less alcoholy than port. You can acquire a really really good bottle for about 22 bucks. Avoid the 1998 Chapoutier- It is just weird. Clos de Pauilles makes a lovely one. You can get it by the glass at La Sardine (Carpenter & Randolph) and various boutique wine shops in Chicago.

over it