• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

kentucky derby pie

ladyyoung98

recently my fiance was telling me about a pie that is his absolute favorite which up til a couple of days ago..i had never even heard of

he calls it a kentucky derby pie and he tells me its someting like a pecan pie but uses walnuts instead..and there are other things about it that make it different as well...only the walnut part stuck out...

so..anyone out there have a decent recipe for this pie or know of a good site where i can find the recipe?

thanks

Edited by ladyyoung98 (log)

a recipe is merely a suggestion

You can get the recipe online, though since it has been more than a week there will probably be a charge - something like $4. Or you could find it from the archives at a public library, most likely.

Or I could type it in for you. But I think the folks at eGullet disapprove of that sort of thing due to copyright issues....

Robin Tyler McWaters

yes i think copyright issue can be a major issue in a public forum..though i do know from the article i read in the link provided in another post here...according to the article..the actual real derby pie recipe is a majorly guarded and copyrighted secret....so the recipe you suggeste din the magzine you pointed out likely would not be the same recipe and might possibly be in the public domain..however the magazine itself im sure has copyrights over its contents and still might possibly fall under copyright infringment were u to post it in the public domain here...so best not to ...saves a lot of trouble and keeps our websites and forums out of hot water..thanks for your help...the suggestions have been helpful

Edited by ladyyoung98 (log)

a recipe is merely a suggestion

There is a recipe for Derby Pie in my River Roads Recipes cook book.

To paraphrase:

1 unbaked 9 inch pie shell

6 oz chocolate chips

4 tbs butter

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup flour

1 cup chopped pecans.

Take the butter and melt it, then add the sugar and flour to the butter. Mix well. Beat eggs into this mixture one at a time. Stir in the pecans. Layer the chips on the bottom of the pie crust, then pour the egg mixture over it.

Bake at 350 for 1 hour and let cool before you serve.

They got the recipe from the Baton Rouge Stat-Times circa 1976

In the October 17th NY Times Magazine, there is an article and recipe for Derby Pie.

Here's a link to a Derby Pie article in the NY Times Archive from 10-17-04, but it's only available for a fee--unless you go to a university or college library that can get it for you form the microfiche archives--or their account. I don't know if it has the recipe you're looking for, because I didn't want to fork over the $2.95 at this time--I may check at the library later though.

Good luck!

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html...=archive:search

Edited by chefcyn (log)
It's not the destination, but the journey!