• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hungarian goulash

Just want to thank everyone for the fantastic thread. In July I was in Nickelsdorf for 4 days of drinking--uh, I mean jazz festivaling, and the hangover helper at lunch every day was a big bowl of goulash (soupy not stewy; more sharp than sweet; equal amounts of large-cubed meat and potatoes; no onions; no flour added; caraway definitely present)...worked like a charm.

Now if someone could come up with the recipe for the salad/slaw that came with my schnitzel (vinegary, cabbagey, with caraway), i'd be all set....

mark

Edited by markemorse (log)

Just want to thank everyone for the fantastic thread. In July I was in Nickelsdorf for 4 days of drinking--uh, I mean jazz festivaling, and the hangover helper at lunch every day was a big bowl of goulash (soupy not stewy; more sharp than sweet; equal amounts of large-cubed meat and potatoes; no onions; no flour added; caraway definitely present)...worked like a charm.

Now if someone could come up with the recipe for the salad/slaw that came with my schnitzel (vinegary, cabbagey, with caraway), i'd be all set....

mark

It is called Kaposztasalata:

1 small cabbage

1/2 tsp salt

1 small onion

1/2 tsp caraway seeds

Shred the cabbage, add the salt and let sit for 1 hour. Squeeze out the juice, add thinly sliced onion rings and the caraway seeds.

Dressing:

water

pinch of salt

sugar

vinegar

Mix enough of each so that it tastes something like lemonade, but not too sweet.

Pour on the salad and let sit for another hour.

I KNEW it...what my Mom and my wife have been calling "goulash" all these years is NOTHING like this. Their recipe is browned ground beef, diced peppers and onions, can of tomatoes, and cooked elbow macaroni, with a couple tablespoons of butter added at the last minute. Oh, and my wife adds lots and lots of garlic.

(Disclaimer: Yes, I've known about the real stuff for a few years, but people call that abomination cited above "goulash" around these parts. I think I need to explore my ancestry -- I think I might be secretly Hungarian...and I've got to try that salad!)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...

Must be a Kansas thing- I grew up in El Dorado as did my husband, and both of our mothers made the stuff you're describing, Kent D, and both called it goulash.

Not a speck of paprika anywhere.

Stop Family Violence

No paprika?

I've never seen it in the "kraut salat" or cabbage salad--if that's what you mean.

It is a nice salad; simple to make and the tartness is a nice counterpoint to a rich dish. I make this pretty often. Thanks for posting the recipe, Swisskaese.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Must be a Kansas thing- I grew up in El Dorado as did my husband, and both of our mothers made the stuff you're describing, Kent D, and both called it goulash.

Not a speck of paprika anywhere.

I thought that was American Chop Suey...or in school chile-mac-delux...in NJ

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

• 1 year later...

with the weather turning cooler, a fresh baked loaf of sourdough rye bread, some cubed beef in the fridge, a tin of exquisite sweet pride of szeged paprika, ginormous yellow onions and potatoes from the farmers' market... what else could i cook today other than gulyas? nothing else, had to have it.

i was in the mood for traditional gulyas, yes, but with a little experiment. this is a great soup for the pressure cooker. i haven't prepared it this method before, and it's certainly not the traditional method. it is every bit as good as any goulash i've ever made. tender beef, rich red broth, potatoes with a bit of bite, silky onions. on the side, crisp toasted thin-sliced buttered rye bread and a simple take me back to childhood apple/raisin salad with sour cream/vinegar/allspice dressing.

i love fall, it's time for gulyas again! :biggrin:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

had a lovely bowl of just that last night, no potatoes though, served over spaetzle

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association