• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crispy "Ban Chang Kueh" recipe needed

Nope, I'm looking for the other kind. They're made in single serving portions and they're extremely thin and crispy. The fillings are peanuts and sugar with fresh grated coconut optional.

I guess they're more like tuiles, soft enough when they come straight out of the pan to fold in half but they crisp up almost immediately. I don't know if it's rice flour, wheat flour, combination of both, whole eggs, egg white only, or what! Don't know if it contains milk or not, or if even has sugar. If it has sugar it's not much... bleh.

Edited by kuan (log)

kuan, I think you are talking about this, also known as peanut pancake.

My expertise is limited to eating the pancake. Never made it before, but I have seen it made at numerous pasar malam. They pour the dough into individual pans, kinda like Pizza Hut personal pizza pans, which have been heavily greased with Planta. A mixture of ground peanuts and sugar is sprinkled on top before the pancake is folded in half, like an omelette.

Best served hot out of the pan. Wait too long and the pancake will lose its crispiness.

Edited by Laksa (log)

Thank you for the feedback, kuan. I was thinking of you this morning and wondering if you'd made them yet! I'm so happy that Laksa came through for you and that the recipe and end results turned out so well.

Must try it very soon!

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Here are some pictures. I like to put the sugar and peanuts on halfway through cooking so that the sugar melts. I also dot the middle with a small pat of butter about the size of a fingernail and run a stick of butter around the rim and let it melt underneath the edge. Note the position of my burner knob on my maytag stove. Just about 6:30 or slighlty higher than what I think is medium. It takes about 3 minutes to make one of these.

Nice and crispy!

bck1.jpg

Final product:

bck3.jpg

In the pan:

bck2.jpg

Edited by kuan (log)