• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

liquor laws in a control state

mike_r

hey folks, i hope this is the right place to open this topic...

i'm from outside philly originally, and as such i have a distinct bias towards yuengling beer; now that i live in chicago, however, what used to be a simple staple at the distributor is now a rare treat enjowed only when i can scrape together enough time and money to fly home. i have in the past flown back here with under a case in my luggage, both checked as well as carry-on, but am curious about whether or not i can have a buddy fedex me a case every now and then, or if i can fly with more than a case. illinois is a liscense state, if that helps.

i'm from outside philly originally, and as such i have a distinct bias towards yuengling beer; now that i live in chicago, however, what used to be a simple staple at the distributor is now a rare treat enjowed only when i can scrape together enough time and money to fly home.  i have in the past flown back here with under a case in my luggage, both checked as well as carry-on, but am curious about whether or not i can have a buddy fedex me a case every now and then, or if i can fly with more than a case.  illinois is a liscense state, if that helps.

You can ship it UPS, which is easier; I have done it with cases of beer from Colorado after attending the Great American Beer Festival in Denver. All you really need to do is stuff the case with lots of newspaper to prevent bottle movement, and seal the case(s) prodigiously with good packing tape on every possible seam of the box.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

i'm from outside philly originally, and as such i have a distinct bias towards yuengling beer; now that i live in chicago, however, what used to be a simple staple at the distributor is now a rare treat enjowed only when i can scrape together enough time and money to fly home.  i have in the past flown back here with under a case in my luggage, both checked as well as carry-on, but am curious about whether or not i can have a buddy fedex me a case every now and then, or if i can fly with more than a case.  illinois is a liscense state, if that helps.

I think you should check with your state Alcohol Control Board. In my state, we have had some spectacular "busts" of fairly innocent people who had no idea they were breaking the law and certainly had no intention of doing so. I'd like to see you stay on the right side of the law, so that you can spend your money on beer, and not on lawyers. There's probably a way to do what you want to do, and if you find out what it is, you can drink your beer and let the real criminals support your local legal community.

Yuengling's a fine beer, but I'm sure you can find another you like that is readily available in Chicago. It will be a lot cheaper than shipping and you might find some several that you like just as much. Goose Island makes some nice stuff.

Perfect - I'll ship you Yuengling.

You can ship me jars of Vienna Sport Peppers & Frozen half-baked Giordano's pizzas.

(I prefer Sausage/Mushroom/Black Olives & Super Veggie w/ Pepperoni added)

:)

Don't know where you are in Illinois, but if you want to try some good local beers, head down to the Clark Street Ale House in the River North section of Chicago - as well as the previously mentioned Goose Island.

Yuengling is a decent beer, but you could probably replicate the experience with a Leinie's

thanx folks...actually i've been living in chicago for about three years now; and have found many many great beers that are readily available. I actually worked for goose island for six months, and lemme tell ya, you can't beat a three dollar sixpack of oatmeal stout. the honkers ale is ass, but the others are all right. the thing is, it's just not yuengling, ya know... :wub: and if anyone wants to reciprocate beer shipments let me know; i'll hook you up with some old style, goose island and bells. :biggrin: vw8v i'll slide over to the wiener circle for ya and get a a coupla dogs with everything :cool:

oh yeah and send me some philly style pizza, eh? all the stuff here is five inches thick or cracker thin and cut into squares...squares i ask ya, what kinda respactable shape for pizza is a square...although there is one new york-style pizza joint on clark that hits it right every time...

Edited by mike_r (log)