• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Philly diners, biggest tippers

AlexBernardo

The average here is 19.2%. And I still hear my staff bitch and moan... :wacko:

Further info is HERE

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

The average here is 19.2%.  And I still hear my staff bitch and moan... :wacko:

Further info is HERE

Katie,

I spent almost 20 years tending bar and worked with what seemed to be a million different people. Not ONE ever thought we were tipped enough. It is a required opinion to hold if you are a server.

Mike:

I know. But I've worn those well worn shoes too, and I certainly knew when I was making good coin. I think it has more to do with being young and not knowing how good you really have it than it does with being genuinely undertipped.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Katie,

I spent almost 20 years tending bar and worked with what seemed to be a million different people.  Not ONE ever thought we were tipped enough.  It is a required opinion to hold if you are a server.

As a one time restaurant owner in Philadelphia I, in semi-good humor, used to complain to my servers that they were taking home 20% of my sales whereas I was lucky to take home 5 percent.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Katie,

I spent almost 20 years tending bar and worked with what seemed to be a million different people.  Not ONE ever thought we were tipped enough.  It is a required opinion to hold if you are a server.

As a one time restaurant owner in Philadelphia I, in semi-good humor, used to complain to my servers that they were taking home 20% of my sales whereas I was lucky to take home 5 percent.

I know what you mean Holly and Katie. I do remember when I started out one of the old time bartenders telling me that you NEVER should tell anyone how much you made. For years I did pretty well, but I still poor mouthed it. Never knew if the person you were talking to was from IRS. Always declared some, never declared it all.

Another event I'll always remember is when we had a new Food and Beverage manager call all the bartenders in and tell us he knew we were all a bunch of crooks and stealing big time. There were one or two who were but after that lecture he had some real bad months. This was the same genius who had the bartenders do month end liquor inventory. Oh my god what a dope

Edited by lancastermike (log)