• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Those Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs

Chris Cognac

all the while growing up in suburban Philly i ate these usually split(not in half)filled with american cheese and bacon wrapped,toothpicked and baked and we called them "Texas Tommy,s"when out of the oven you remove the toothpicks and place in one slice of white bread  and just bring 2 corners together,of course the bacon was rarely "crisp" as i like it ,but very good nonetheless

Dave s

I had almost forgotton eating these until seeing this thread. Growing up (in CT) my Mom used to make something like this also.

One version was bacon wrapped around plain (good from our Austrian butcher) hot dogs (slit to prevent bursting) then cooked, I think, under the broiler. When I checked w/her the other day she said she cooked them a bit farther away from the broiler and rotated the dogs to make sure all the bacon was cooked.

Sometime, she cut slits into the dog and filled this with cheese before cooking! (I'm guessing american cheese).

So fun to be reminded of this dish and even more fun to find out it is served in Mexican border towns!!! :smile: Thank you very much for the photos and research, Esperanza. The mayo factor and other condiments are very interesting! I can't wait to try the Mexican version.

(Wouldn't this be a great tailgate dish???)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Thanks for the pic, Esperanza. Those dogs look great and the finished product sounds better. Hopefully, with the influx of down home style Mexican restaurants that are opening up here in Philadelphia, someone will start offering a genuine Mexican dog hereabouts.

Texas Tommy's are great too. But nowadays, at least, instead of wrapping the dogs in bacon they lay cooked bacon strips on top of the cooked dogs.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Wow. Never checked out a stock photography website before. $99.95 for that? I'm gonna change my profession.

(They do look tasty, though! Will have to try this next summer -- I wonder if any trick is necessary to get the bacon to "stick" to the weiner?)

EDIT: To add some sort of food-related comment. :biggrin:

Edited by bleachboy (log)

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

• 2 weeks later...

The stand out to me in the image above, is that the dogs are packaged and sold, not being linked together, or ie. sold to the vendor individually packed.

I buy dogs that are linked, that my purveyor stuffs and smokes as a ring. When I snip the individual dogs apart, they don't have the wrinkled protrusion on the end.

Am I missing something here??

Thanks again for the images.

woodburner

Mayo....the secret is friggin mayo!..I never would have guessed

:blink::blink: I have wandered out of more mexican bars at 3 AM than I care to remember (or can remember,) but I have never been drunk enough to try one of those 'perro calientes'.....instead I look for the cart that is serving up tacos de tripas......now there is a great meal on wheels......tripas de leche fried crisp, stuffed into a warm corn tortilla and topped with onions, salsa, cilantro and some cabbage......

Hey Esperanza...ever eat at Don Alfredos Pollos at the intersection to Tanganxuan?

"We do not stop playing because we grow old,

we grow old because we stop playing"

Don Alfredos is at the entrance to Patzcuaro.....its a dirt floor affair under a tin roof. They serve up pollo and baby lamb cooked on long wooden skewers and staked over an open bed of hot coals.......one of my fondest meals in Michoacan. :smile:

Esperanza, what a great picture...it reminded me of the many times I've enjoyed those wonderful ‘hochos’ (as they call them) after a night out drinking with friends...I believe that the secret to them is both the mayo and the serrano (not jalapeno) peppers that they put on them…believe me, they certainly make the hang-over much more bearable.

What makes these things so damn good...is it the many cerveza's consumed prior....but man are they good..anyone know how they are made and what makes em special...let hear it from all of you whom have cruised a border town, eaten one and lived to tell about it!

OK, I'm fired up by my evening scotch and waterso I'll be indiscrete. Anyone want to speculate when there are so many marvelous dishes in Mexico what gets the egullet readership going is hot dogs?

Shaking the head,

Rachel

Rachel Caroline Laudan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
...MAn, it "ALMOST" makes me want to go down to Tijuana for one right now...But I can always go to Langers....the ladies on the street sell em just outside Langers!

Chris, you can also get them outside of the Hollywood Bowl after a concert, usually in front of the parking lot across the street from the Bowl. Too bad it's winter.

Did you ever make them using the mayo?

Edited by cstuart (log)

• 1 month later...

Mayo! Man, I feel gipped. I've eaten these in the Yucatan, and I don't think they had mayo in them. Not like they don't eat mayo there--half of any supermarket aisle is filled with jars of the gooey white stuff.

But at typical hot dog carts in the Yucatan, you can have a plain ol' bacon-wrapped (they don't par-cook it; it's just sliced really thin), or you can get cheese-filled (maybe these do have mayo, actually--maybe it's just so standard they don't even ask), or you can get bacon-wrapped, cheese-filled and DEEP-FRIED! Oh yes, with caramelized onions on top. And mayo too, of course. And at the same cart they always also sell fresh-fried potato chips too, because you've got the grease, right? Genius. Although I admit I was afraid at first.

Zora O’Neill aka "Zora"

Roving Gastronome

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I have tried and tried to recreate these at home, but nothing compares. I think it is something to do with the shady locale you often find these in. The last time I had one was in San Felipe, smothered in mayo chopped tomatoes, onions, pickled jalapenos, and this drizzle of weird chili sauce looking stuff. Almost like a chili puree. At the time I thought it was the best food I had ever eaten in my life, but this was after about 3 coco locos.

Yo chris.........I'm getting ready to try one of them dogs.......but it will take a few cervezas and maybe a shot or two. Maybe we ought to see if we can find a few eG fanatics and make a day of it in Tj.......there are more than a few cool bars to hang out at...just keep me out of the Chicago Club or Bambi's  

Yo chris.........I'm getting ready to try one of them dogs.......but it will take a few cervezas and maybe a shot or two. Maybe we ought to see if we can find a few eG fanatics and make a day of it in Tj.......there are more than a few cool bars to hang out at...just keep me out of the Chicago Club or Bambi's    

[right][snapback=1217629][/right]

Oooh, right up my alley... cant resist trying to invite myself along if it were to happen.