• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mountain Food

d.hawksworth

I thought this would be an interesting subject as I love to ski and am hoping for an epic year of snow and decent low temperatures. Whistler - Blackcomb have done a great job of building a impressive lift system but the food is borderline dreadful. Only last year you can purchase a reasonable sandwich. European resorts have a higher quality of food obviously at a cost. So what is the answer?

I've never had a decent meal on the slopes in north america - either stay somewhere ski-in/ski-out and go home for lunch or try to ignore the fact that your chicken sandwich tastes like hotdogs. I don't think the resorts have any interest in changing their food programs since they are getting $5 for a small stack of french fries.

I've never had a decent meal on the slopes in north america - either stay somewhere ski-in/ski-out and go home for lunch or try to ignore the fact that your chicken sandwich tastes like hotdogs.  I don't think the resorts have any interest in changing their food programs since they are getting $5 for a small stack of french fries.

Look at what people eat at home. And you expect them to change after the cost of a weekend on the slopes? Cold, wet and hungry= feed me? Only at dinner afterwards at high end resorts can you get decent food. Sysco does have chains for it's trucks. :laugh:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

I couldn't agree more - the food on the mountain is atrocious and the prices are predatory. I just say no to food on the mountain and try to make do with what I can stuff in my pockets. The most I buy on the mountain is soup. My take on it is that because it is a monopoly once you are up out of the village they can do what they please and charge what they want. I also find that the prices in the village are aimed at our US friends and not BC residents - why else would we be charged $75 for a bottle of Blue Mountain wine? When we go up to Whistler we almost never eat out, instead we either bring our own groceries or pre-made meals from Les Amis du Fromage or Savourycity.ca. And we bring our own wine (lots of it) :laugh:

Maybe the economics are such that they have no choice but to price things high - but it's hard to believe they can't make more palatable food that one wouldn't mind paying for. Until then, I'll be the skier with the pockets full of snacks.

Cheers,

Karole

I often make soup, Oyama slice meats and load up the back pack. I believe it would be possible to make fresh soups and healthy food and charge the same price - they might take a hit on the food cost until they get everything organized. When was the last time you saw the Chef or some sort of manager overlooking the bombed out pizza and nacho stand on the mountain? Not everything has to come from Sysco - I could really go on and on about this....Some of the local mountains are even worse. Would you even second glance at one if it was Restaurant on Robson??

You'd freakin run!! and Fast!!

Isn't this a case of captive audience and lowest common denominator?

I no longer ski, but was a twice-a-weeker at Whistler/Blackcomb for years. The on-hill food was never great ... not even good. Once the tourist gates opened up wide (Intra-West and all that) it simply meant prices went up, and that some of the food "pretended" to get better. I'll never forget the $8 bowl of Red River cereal I had at Araxis in 1988 ... twice as outrageous as Fogg & Suds charking $5 for a box of KD! Places like Pete's Underground (good value for medicore food - only in comparison) couldn't deal with the overhead jumped ship.

In a way, the magnificent terrain and awe-inspiring vertical (can you tell I'm jonesing to strap on the boards?) is Whistler/Blackbomb's culinary enemy. As long as tourists come for the snow, they'll eat whatever crap is thrust in front of them. The skiing is that good. The cuisine hasn't developed because it doesn't need to. What little has evolved in the village has done so in spite of this, and perhaps because summer-time visitors need a bit more than soggy fries.

The comparison to Europe, or at least the Europe I have skied, is not a fair one. Whistler is alone in this part of the world. Don't even try to mention Grouse in the same breath. The number of hills around Ste. Moritz or Wengen gives rise to competition. Food becomes a way to attract the client. Then there's the whole "culture of food" thing :wink:

So in the meantime, a visit to Whistler will see me with a backpack filled with cheeses, trail mix, bread, Nutella, and a bottle of tawny port.

A.

I often make soup, Oyama slice meats and load up the back pack. I believe it would be possible to make fresh soups and healthy food and charge the same price - they might take a hit on the food cost until they get everything organized. When was the last time you saw the Chef or some sort of manager overlooking the bombed out pizza and nacho stand on the mountain? Not everything has to come from Sysco - I could really go on and on about this....Some of the local mountains are even worse. Would you even second glance at one if it was Restaurant on Robson??

You'd freakin run!! and Fast!!

Skilled people cost money, Re-heaters work for minimum wage because they have no skills. Fast food is fast food wherever you are.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

I'm continually amazed at the fact that I'm too lazy to make a sandwich before heading up the hill, but a few hours later will trudge into the Roundhouse in ski boots, to fight the crowds so I can line up for overpriced food, then spend 10 minutes looking for a place to sit.

If I were a little more entrepreneurial, I'd hire a platoon of guys in snowshoes to carry thermal backpacks, dispensing hot soup at the lift lineups at five bucks a cup.

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

Although this is a little further away than Whistler there is a little foodie jem in the ski resort of Fernie, BC.

I had a dinner there recently at a place called Beavertail Lodge. It is a small on mountain ski lodge that predominantly caters for the guests that stay there, however I was there just for dinner. The chef there used to work at West,and also the Raintree when it was still open.

To start as an amuse we had a small creamed leek and onion puff pastry tartlet, which was unexpectantly light and hugely flavorful. We later found out the chef has specialized in pastry. To folow was a demi tasse cup of cauliflower soup, scented with white alba truffle, there was also a little jullienned trufle floating on top. Next was a salad of pickled beets and goats cheese. All of which come from a local organic farm nearby. After eating at West before, I immeadiately recognized chef Hawksworths signature foiegras parfait and apple gellee. Amazing just as I remembered it. For entree reisling braised wild rabbit leg with golden chantrelles was served. We found out the rabbit was caught locally and the chantrelles had been hand foraged by the chef whilst in the Quenn Charlottes.It was fall off the bone tender and very flavorful, and the chantrelles beautifully buttery.

Pre desert was a late season raspberry&champgne sorbet, made with an unusual maple champagne from Lang vineyards. The maple in the champagne was not overtly present, but more of a woody overtone. To finish was pistachio nougat glace, with redcurrant consomme. This was like a frozen parfait, light and full of crunchy caramelized pistachio nuts,sitting in a pool of slightly tart consomme.

There were different wines to accompany each course which were predominantly BC and an Australian botrytis semmillion to match the foie gras.

After dinner talking to the chef, he mentioned he may be taking over the lease on one of the cafes doing lunch on the ski hill. He was also talking about the poor state of on mountain food options available and wanted to try having something more than just the usual dried out pizza and burgers.

If anyone is ever visiting that part of BC, I highly reccomend staying (www.beavertaillodge.com), as the prices are very reasonable, considering the calibre of the food and the fact that is in a ski reort. Maybe as the tourist flood gates have not yet fully opened in Fernie, things are still priced at a local market. Get in quick before intrawest gobbles it up!