• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great Miami/South Beach Dining/

nypork

Azul at the Mandarin.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Please eat a Cubano (sandwich) for me. And report back. The always voracious Jonny Apple tells you where to begin your search for Miami's answer to New York's pizza or Philly's cheesesteaks as great street fare, in this article.

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I found the Blue Door to be a major disappointment all around. Food was just okay and the service was unpleasant. Tell us more about what you are looking for. I'm a local.

South Florida

Talula in Miami Beach.  Ola on Biscayne Blvd.  Azul downtown.  Ortanique in Coral Gables.  El Rey de las Fritas in Little Havana.

Now you've got a rec for each touristy district in the city.

How is Ola? Is Doug Rodriguez in the kitchen? I'm going to Scottsdale AZ next month and was thinking of trying his new restaurant there (Deseo?). I used to love YUCA - but that was a long long time ago. Robyn

Talula in Miami Beach.  Ola on Biscayne Blvd.  Azul downtown.  Ortanique in Coral Gables.  El Rey de las Fritas in Little Havana.

How is Ola? Is Doug Rodriguez in the kitchen? I'm going to Scottsdale AZ next month and was thinking of trying his new restaurant there (Deseo?). I used to love YUCA - but that was a long long time ago. Robyn

Every time I've gone for dinner or drinks I've come across Douglas. I think Miami is defintely his element. Yuca is not the same since he left. They tried to resurrect it a few months ago without him and it crashed. I've been curious about how the other restaurants in his far flung empire are.

Every time I've gone for dinner or drinks I've come across Douglas. I think Miami is defintely his element. Yuca is not the same since he left. They tried to resurrect it a few months ago without him and it crashed. I've been curious about how the other restaurants in his far flung empire are.

I'm visiting my brother in Scottsdale - so I'll ask him if he's heard anything or been there. If it's an unknown to him (entirely possible - he likes to eat but he's a busy doctor with high school kids) - perhaps we'll just give it a try. I'd be curious to see whether there are any southwest influences in the cooking there.

I left Miami in 1995 - and Yuca was never the same after Rodriguez left. It was a time and place thing for him and that restaurant - right time - right place - kind of magical - and when he left - the magic disappeared. Some restaurants can survive the departure of an imaginative first chef - but not many. And Yuca wasn't one of them. Robyn