• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

buckwheat noodles

I am afraid that I am about to be berated for an imbecile, but I have spent the last three days scouring London for buckwheat noodles. Finished my last packet several weeks ago and of course cannot remember where I bought them, or even the brand, helpfully, and am now in the grip of a craving. Have drawn a blank at all the supermarkets (any amount of egg noodles, straight-to-wok stirfry noodles, even rice noodles, but no buckwheat). Even went to Chinatown on Saturday where many, MANY types of noodle about (dried shrimp noodles, anyone?), but no buckwheat.

any suggestions where I might go? I really don't remember them being that tricky to find before...

Fi

PS have just thought - is that big Japanese department store still on Piccadilly Circus? because I will kick myself if it is.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

Curlywurlyfi,

Are you looking for the Japanese ones? Or just buckwheat noodles? Or the Korean ones?

For the Japanese soba ones (most of these are actually not 100% buckwheat, but a mix of buckwheat and wheat) you can go to Japan Centre on Picadilly or Arigato 48 Brewer Street.

For buckwheat noodles, most organic or health food shops carry them as an alternative to wheat noodles.

Curlywurlyfi,

Are you looking for the Japanese ones?  Or just buckwheat noodles?  Or the Korean ones?

For the Japanese soba ones (most of these are actually not 100% buckwheat, but a mix of buckwheat and wheat) you can go to Japan Centre on Picadilly or Arigato 48 Brewer Street.

For buckwheat noodles, most organic or health food shops carry them as an alternative to wheat noodles.

Akiko...what is the difference in taste between 100% buckwheat noodles and the buckwheat noodles that have wheat in them. I have not had either but am anxious to try them.

Thanks

I get buckwheat noodles from a Chinese grocery store in London's Chinatown called 'See Woo'. The trick is that they are not placed in the main noodle section, but in the 'Japanese' section in another aisle. Cost around 80p for a packet. They also have a store in North Greenwich.

"I'll just die if I don't get this recipe."