• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Breads in Greater Vancouver

Daddy-A

Highly unlikely Vancouver. The speed at which I saw Ling obliterate her first one leads me to believe that there could be fisticuffs if anyone tried a switch-and-bait.

Methinks I have created a ganache monster. :huh::wink:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Quick Deborah! Get her hooked on something new so the supply is made available for the rest of us! :wink:

Oh, and then make the chocolate oblivion cake available to the rest of us. :wink:

I've got a killer recipe for chocolate cake as well which deserves a name like chocolate oblivion, but is just called, "Grandma's Cake" in my recipe file. Grandma was quite the dessert maker! :smile:

After my last post in the cheese thread, and accusing Coop of fromagecentric thinking :wink: .... I can hardly believe I'm about to say:

If you have been to MIX you know it's the place for bread.

Yukon Gold - Dill bread.... yum, yum, yum :biggrin:

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Ok, I finally snagged a chocolate ganache today before Lorna could get them all. (They actually had about 10 left when I was there at 5:30.)

It was pretty good. But Lorna, I have to give you my "Grandma's Cake" recipe. I think you may just like it better! :smile:

Cheers!

I have to add a plug for the breads at Mix as well as their scones. Our favorite Mix breads are their ficelle, the rustic baugette, 3-chili-cheese, toasted pumpkin and the whole wheat (can't remember the name). All of them make awesome toast as well as sandwiches. The cheese-herb scone is to die for especially with a latte from the Elysian Room or from Cafe Artigiano. My husband swears by the chocolate scone but it's too sweet for me. Their sandwiches are also wonderful - my fav is the Chimayo Chicken and the Apple Gobbler. I've made myself drool on my own keyboard.

Edited for poor spelling.

Edited by Foodie in Vancouver (log)

Cheers,

Karole

I'm adding my vote for Terra. I have to be careful about buying their Italian cheese bread tho, because I'll easily eat it all in one sitting. But it's great to have with a nice hearty winter soup. Whenever I'm down at Granville Island and pick up some soup at the Stock Market, I have to get some Terra bread to go with it. I also love their olive breads. And a little o/t, but their brownies are delicious too -- loaded with chocolate chunks and a variety of nuts, including macadamias.

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

I hate to be a hater.

Being a baker myself, i have to say that the mix and terra only pass cuz vancouver is vancouver for bread. Both these bakeries cut serious corners to produce their bread and while i will not argue that their bread is good, i would qualify that it is good until someone comes around and blows them out of the water with the real good s%*t. When i was working, the Mix used to laugh at us cuz we did it the old way - slow food for real, organic everything, wood fire etc.

I'm happy that they are doing well and bread in this city is getting better, but i wince too, hoping someday to bake you the good good stuff.

3WC

Drew Johnson

bread & coffee

i didn't write that book, but i did pass 8th grade without stress. and i'm a FCAT for sure.

^I've only had the Terra brownies once, quite awhile ago, but I wasn't impressed at all. They were the cakey variety, very light on chocolate flavour--have they changed the recipe lately?

From Terra, I love the pecan and fruit bread, the olive bread, and those foccacias! I prefer to buy my pastries elsewhere though....(I've had almost all of their sweet offerings, and I found them to be not as good as their breads.)

I've only had the Terra brownies once, quite awhile ago, but I wasn't impressed at all. They were the cakey variety, very light on chocolate flavour--have they changed the recipe lately?

I don't know whether they've changed their recipe or whether I've just totally lucked out, but every time I've bought their brownies they've been dense and chocolately, not cakey at all. I haven't tried any of their other sweet offerings -- glad to hear I'm not missing anything.

I love their foccacias too. I get one or two every time I'm down at Granville Island.

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

I'm happy that they are doing well and bread in this city is getting better, but i wince too, hoping someday to bake you the good good stuff.

3WC

Damn!

I had a post and accidentally erased it because I'm a techno butt head!

Perhaps I was meant to cut it short....

3WC... when are you going to make us bread? (not us as in egullet folk... but us as in Vancouverites :biggrin: )

And, while I'm being nosy, how do you feel about Ecco Il Pane's bread? Personally.... I like their bread better than Terra but haven't put it up against Mix yet. It's a different beast though.... so I'm not sure if either of these is a fair comparison.

Also... if I may ask....... where have you baked your bread prior to landing in VCR?

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

3WC... when are you going to make us bread? (not us as in egullet folk... but us as in Vancouverites  :biggrin: )

And, while I'm being nosy, how do you feel about Ecco Il Pane's bread?  Personally.... I like their bread better than Terra but haven't put it up against Mix yet. It's a different beast though.... so I'm not sure if either of these is a fair comparison.

Also... if I may ask....... where have you baked your bread prior to landing in VCR?

I'm trying to get my shit together to be baking by next spring in VCR. The only bread i've enjoyed in Vanc is the Ciabatta at MIX. Maybe cuz it's so malty - and that is a novelty to me. I can't say much for Ecco cuz i just don't know what to try (diplomatic answer). I was last at Wild Fire in Victoria for 3yrs.

Damn, I said it.

3WC

Drew Johnson

bread & coffee

i didn't write that book, but i did pass 8th grade without stress. and i'm a FCAT for sure.

I'm trying to get my shit together to be baking by next spring in VCR.  ........

I was last at Wild Fire in Victoria for 3yrs.

Damn, I said it.

3WC

Given your background, and what some of us have heard about Wild Fire, and others have experienced, I'm sure we'll all be looking forward to seeing what comes about :biggrin: Looking forward to it! Please keep us posted.

edited because.... I seem to be having some trouble conveying myself of late... and because my computer keeps crapping out on me!!! very annoying!!!!!

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

There's a woman on Salt Spring whom the locals call "the bread lady".... she bakes in a wood fired oven...... very rustic. I tried her bread when I was over for the apple festival back in the fall.... it's pretty good.

If anyone has been on the "gallery" tours, I think she's on the list (not sure exactly how bread fits into the whole pottery, painting, sculpture mix... but it is art).... she's out towards Ruckle Park.

Has anyone else tried her bread? Next time I'm over (perhaps even this weekend if I get a chance) I'll get a few more details.

sarah

Has anyone else tried her bread?

I've had her bread. I thought it was pretty good, very rustic as you said. That is not always what I am looking for though.

Let a thousand flowers bloom, we need more bread diversity here.

Cheers,

Anne

The "bread lady" on ss is Heather. She sells in the saturday market (which isn't happening yet). Her bread is also sold at a place in Ganges called "Admirals" - it's a fish store/deli - and also at "Natureworks" (the 'health-food' store).

As for hundreds or thousands of flowers blooming - i'm sorry to have sounded so elitist about the bread in Vanc.

3wc

Drew Johnson

bread & coffee