• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Breads in Greater Vancouver

Daddy-A

Even the pao de Casa seemed different then what they sell at The Santa Barbara. So I will continue to buy it on The Drive.

DING DING DING ... we have a winner!

Picked up a loaf of Pao de Casa from Santa Barabara today at around 11. Much nicer shopping there mid-day/mid-week. I could actually browse the aisles without getting run over.

I've been working at home today, and between lunch and coffee the bread is almost finished.

Damn you Coop! First Pho' and Bahn mi ... and now this!

A.

Latest from Transilvania Peasant Breads.

Price has gone up-so has the size of the loaf!

A woman who appears to be 'The Wife' is working the front counter and looking angry :blink: so who knows how long it'll all last.

Also-Sandwiches on sale-looking absolutely delicious!

Latest from Transilvania Peasant Breads.

Price has gone up-so has the size of the loaf!

A woman who appears to be 'The Wife' is working the front counter and looking angry  :blink:  so who knows how long it'll all last.

Also-Sandwiches on sale-looking absolutely delicious!

Yes I noticed Sam. $10 and the friggin thing is the size of a rugby ball.

She was angry? I just though it was an Eastern European thing! :laugh:

A.

how short our memories....

My favourite bread is the foccacia at the Hammy! Order the Gorgonzola fondue with it! WOW...

Oh Neil, remember the days you used to make that cornbread...thats how I meet you, over a loaf of the delicious hot loaf! :wub:

Can I get the bread to go?

Chef/Owner/Teacher

Yeah, the Trany loaf is big but (Euro style) they will sell you half for $5. That's about the same size as before.

When I asked why he explained quite logically that with the colder weather his little oven cools down much faster. Since it's wood fired it isn't as simple as turning on the gas or electricity to bring the temp back up. Thus he bakes bigger loaves that require less opening and closing of the oven door.

For the crust fans it's good and crusty, the only problem being that with the size of loaf he makes you just about need a laser bread knife to cut through in a straight line. I had to resort to my offset serated Messermeister to do the job.

Still only the one kind - very hearty whole wheat. Great for this time of the year. I made a Ribollita (heavy duty Tuscan vegetable soup) and took a big slice of the bread rubbed with garlic, drizzled olive oil on top (you know, the crostini thing),sprinkled lots of fresh parmesan on and grilled it and put it in the bottom of the bowl and poured the soup all over it. The true test of a good bread - it held it's shape even though all soggy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

WARNING: COBS RANT AHEAD!!

After a quick family lunch at Thai Away Home on Commercial Drive, we walked past the Cobs storefront on our way to Fratelli's (a real bakery) and noticed that Cobs was absolutely freakin' packed... at least two deep at the counter. Can someone please explain to me what the public's fascination is with bread that is mediocre at best?! Damn, I miss Federico's peach ricotta muffins and canolis.

On a postive note, however, Fratelli's bread shelves were fairly depleted. You have to arrive fairly early in the day if you hope to buy a loaf of their unbelievably good cornbread. Amazing with soup, stew, chili or just oven-warmed and buttered on its own. Yummy.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Has anyone tried the Poilane bread from France they stock at Urban Fare?

They will sell you half a slice for 2 bucks. Pretty pricey!

When Urban Fare first opened, a friend and I wandered in and they were offering *free* samples of the Poilane boule. It was tangy and toothsome - quite tasty! We even had an extra piece for her dog!!! Oh, the audacity! :shock:

Had a sourdough baguette from La Baguette et Echallote on Saturday and it was damn good. Sorry Arne, didn't mean to start anything. Have you had the Miso Ramen, rich with fatty pork at Kintaro yet?

I'm addicted to La Baguette et Echallote's pistachio and cranberry bread. Perfect for toast in the morning, and also yummy for making turkey sandwiches on.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

Ling,

I don't know about the poilane from Urban Fare, but I can tell you the poilane I've had in Paris was pretty damn good. It's the size of a medium pizza, and so good, I ate half on my own without just water to go with it.

YUM.

I miss Paris. :wub:

I don't know if that $2 half slice of bread can possibly be that much better than a quality loaf from, say, Terra, for under 4 bucks. And when I'm eating bread, I definitely want more than half a slice!

• 4 weeks later...

sorry to bring up the subject again, but i can't let it go.

has anybody found any good bread lately? other than the malty-but-nice ciabatta at the mix, i'm having trouble. somewhere between the west end and ubc i should find some good dough, no?

imagine a (vancouver) where we had neighbourhood bakeries.

sorry, but terra is baking in a wharehouse now. no, its more like an airplane hangar. any new input is appreciated...

3WC

Drew Johnson

bread & coffee

i didn't write that book, but i did pass 8th grade without stress. and i'm a FCAT for sure.

Terra just invested in a new Place to bake their bread from....which means new ovens....new proofers....new bakers....

I have had various amounts of trouble with consistency in the past 6 weeks or so (as i buy wholesale from them) ...but things are getting better as they get used to their new equipment and employees.

I for one, am a huge fan of their Olive Oil rolls and the Pecan Fruit and Nut bread....just toast and enjoy!!!! These products have not wavered in their consistency.

Just my two cents.

I had my first loaf of bread from Mix yesterday (the walnut scallion). It was delicious and I thought it was an interesting flavour combination. The crust was crisp, and the slices browned up nicely.

Next up is the espresso rye bread that Mooshmouse recommended, available at Pane from Heaven.