• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Breads in Greater Vancouver

Daddy-A

3WC:

I wasn't implying that you were being elitist at all or at least not being critical of your elitism. I generally agree with your comments. I just don't believe that only rustic bread is worth eating.

So I would be delighted if you set the bar higher, but I don't want every bakery in Vancouver to produce rustic loaves.

Cheers,

Anne

Agreed

Anybody that can steer me towards a better product or help me better understand what it good and what is not - so much the better.

3WC (or anybody) - what defines good bread then? For example - I really like how crusty and crunchy the baguette crusts are at La Baguette. Is there something else I should be looking for?

The "bread lady" on ss is Heather.  She sells in the saturday market (which isn't happening yet). Her bread is also sold at a place in Ganges called "Admirals" - it's a fish store/deli - and also at "Natureworks" (the 'health-food' store). 

3wc

Thanks 3WC .... I do recall that her name is Heather now that you mention it. She has a very cool set up on her property with the bakery and woodburning oven, etc. Don't think she sells it from home all the time though, but it is definately worth looking into if any "bread" people are heading to Salt Spring.

If you're heading 'offshore' in your search for a worthy loaf and are within striking distance of Pender Island the Saturday Farmer's Market features ambrosial bread in a wood burning oven.

Made by a local farmer of Italian origin it's one of the best breads I've ever eaten anywhere and is well worth searching out.

This is very interesting as well Sam..... good to know that there are mini pockets of interesting breadmaking going on, on several Gulf Islands.

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

We really enjoy the boule from...

Le Pic-Nic French Breads and Pastry

1443 Clyde Avenue, West Vancouver

604-925-2880

Limited supplies so phone ahead.

Crunchy crust, soft and tasty on the inside...total bliss :biggrin: .

No need for butter even....but it's better with!

We pick it up frozen (she undercooks it by ten minutes) and throw it into a 375 degree oven for 10-15 minutes.

Spray it with water prior to baking if you want an even crunchier crust.

Just wanted to thank Chef Matcalf for a good call - went and checked out Le Pic Nic and though my family has been in West Van for the last 11 years - we have never gone to Le Pic Nic. Very cool place - by the time I got there at noon most everything was sold out. Had one of the fruit pastries and it was delicous. Beautiful thin buttery crisp pastry, thinly sliced fruit - not too sweet.

I will get up earlier next week and check out the fresh bread. Got a frozen baguette but have not had a chance to try it yet. All indications are that this is a high quaility operation. Thanks for the heads up Chef!

Edited by canucklehead (log)

• 9 months later...

I hate Cobs bread. I don't see the appeal at all: gooey white dough with different toppings. Forget it.

Try the different breads at Savary Island Bakery (West Van, on Marine near 15th). They make a great (and big) sourdough, a very authentic soda bread (I lived in Ireland where soda bread is a religion), and an Italian bread that is, as far as I can tell, utterly non-Italian but so good my teenage son has been known to eat a loaf in one sitting.

As someone else mentioned, Pic-Nic makes fine boules.

Paul B

No matter what we do, it seems that Cobs keeps coming up in most bread posts. Let's forget Cobs for a minute and concentrate on real bread instead. Besides, I tend to agree with someone who was saying that Cobs has a very important role in bringing bread awareness to the masses ... "they just won't get my business."

I was searching for the "perfect rye" a couple of weeks ago, and in the process I have (re)discovered the Transilvania Peasant Bread bakery on West Broadway. The (new?) owner has recently started baking a light sour rye that is out of this world, and the regular peasant bread has greatly improved -- it's almost as good as Wildfire bread --, and comes now also in smaller loaves (2 lb.). For a while there I had given up on Transilvania bread because the loaves where just too large and, well, after you went past the whole name and decor thing, the bread wasn't all that great. But the new guy seems to know what he's doing and the bread is a lot better.

Just wanted to share.

O.

PS: Anybody know what's with the German flag on top of the building?

The (new?) owner has recently started baking a light sour rye that is out of this world, and the regular peasant bread has greatly improved -- it's almost as good as Wildfire bread --,

Thanks for the heads up. As someone who was just introduced to a sample of Wildfire bread - I must say that is very high praise indeed.

I went to the Transylvanian Bread place last weekend and it was a rather bizarre experience. I felt like I had entered the twilight zone of bread. I walked in at around 2:30pm on a Sunday and was greeted by shelves that were all but empty of bread. I believe there were two loaves in total. The two men at the counter looked at me blankly and I looked back at them blankly. I think I said something to the effect of "what kind of bread do you sell?" and their reply was "wholewheat." Apparently, they had sold out of rye for the day (and just about all their wholewheat as well!). They also informed me that they make rye only on certain days (phone ahead to find out - I can't remember which).

Anway, I had wanted their rye so I'll have to go back another day.

"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea."

~ Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady

Tara Lee

Literary and Culinary Rambles

http://literaryculinaryrambles.blogspot.com

I walked in at around 2:30pm on a Sunday and was greeted by shelves that were all but empty of bread. 

they have some heat retention issues with their oven. it was poorly built so they have to fire it several times to get through the day's bread. they also have funny bakery hours last time i checked. something like 11am - 6pm.

nice.

Drew Johnson

bread & coffee

i didn't write that book, but i did pass 8th grade without stress. and i'm a FCAT for sure.

I had to laugh when I read tarteausucre's post re: the Transylvanian Bread place. I, too, dropped by last weekend ... Sunday afternoon at about 1:30 pm ... and I had the same experience. The shelves were empty of bread. There was none to be had, although the very friendly fellow working there did give me a slice of rye from a loaf that had already been cut for tastings. I was looking forward to getting the bread as a friend had raved about it. Anyway, the friendly fellow said there would be fresh bread in about an hour. I couldn't wait. I guess I will have to try it some other time.

• 4 weeks later...

LaBaugette - still offer a very good fresh bread

Terra Breads- has been the standard for multigrain/ organic breads

Has anyone checked out Uprising Bread near Venables / Commercial Dr

Someone mentioned the Artisan Bread Shop at the foot of lonsdale if you are looking for a good dense bread, its just a little pricy

• 2 weeks later...
Cobs has munched their way into Richmond (Blundell Centre).  :blink:

I predict that the location will be abandoned within a year. There are so many other (Chinese) bakeries in Richmond that produce a better sandwich bread, which is the only passable product that Cobs sells. The Chinese bakeries are cheaper, too, and offer way more dessert options. In comparison, Cobs takes the same bread mix and just slathers different toppings on. Not great value, either.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Raisin Rye from Savoury Island Pie Company

Hands down the best rye i've had.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Cobs has munched their way into Richmond (Blundell Centre).  :blink:

I KNOW! I was kind of choked...our family used to buy bread there all the time when I was a kid. My favourite thing from Blundell Bakery were those thick, shortbread-like cookies studded with bits of candied cherries. And I always got an apple turnover (or two).

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but I recently had the baguette at La Baguette on GI again, and was reminded of how good it is. :smile:

My limited "upper end" bread experience only really includes Terra Breads and Ecco Il Pane. I used to buy from those guys back in the day when they first opened and I was single so I could actually take the time to roam around trying stuff out.

Now that i'm married with three small kids my wife buys bread from Costco and i'll pick up the 1.50 Sourdough from Superstore (okay, someone shoot me already!) because the kids like it toasted.

I'm sorry, i'm not to going to buy on a regular basis a 5 dollar quality loaf from Ecco and have my kids thumb their nose in the air and say "No Thanks". Once in awhile when i'm in the area (like Granville Island) i'll hit Terra and pick up something decent for a change.

In any case, I used to pick up the Sour Cherry Chocolate Loaf and Roasted Roma Tomato from Ecco Il Pane and the Sourdough baguette from Terra and maybe the Olive Loaf for my parents.

That Roasted Roma Tomato toasted with a bit or a ton of butter was awesome! Didn't last long.