• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Tater Tot Topic

Jason Perlow

From CBS Sunday Morning, "In Praise of Tater Tots":

For those who can't watch the embedded video, here is the URL: https://youtu.be/aCTkNMDkA7U

Can I have some Totcho's, please? :B

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I've had various restaurant/diner takes on tater tots, including totchos. Most were flawed, ruined by undercrisping and watery sauces. 

A couple were great...well crisped and not over sauced. I think deep frying is key if a sauce is planned. Maybe the airfryer could do it. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I've had various restaurant/diner takes on tater tots, including totchos. Most were flawed, ruined by undercrisping and watery sauces. 

A couple were great...well crisped and not over sauced. I think deep frying is key if a sauce is planned. Maybe the airfryer could do it. 

A nice cast iron skillet (with oil) would crisp them up, as well.

I recall after my mom passed we had a group of family and friends come over for breakfast. One friend had never had skillet-fried tots before (always oven-baked at his house :() and I was talking up how crusty and wonderful they get in the cast iron skillet when my asshat oldest brother came into the kitchen to "help" me and stirred the crap out of the tots, obliterating the crusty parts and mushing the soft interiors until you could no longer see individual tots. I was furious with him for doing that and literally threw him out of the kitchen.

There are those who understand The Tot, and those who remain ignorant all their lives. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 1 year later...

Boring rainy day today.

Fooling around with potatoes and made a pretty good copy of Tater Tots.

Shred russet potato, wring dry, add salt and a few shakes of Wondra flour and onion powder.

Microwave for a minute until the potatoes are gummy

Form into tots and fry.

20220101_150150.thumb.jpg.d9334bbd4b91d88616dcc1c6d5d5c6ff.jpg

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 7

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

Fooling around with potatoes and made a pretty good copy of Tater Tots.

I am betting they were much better than the “real” thing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 4 weeks later...

Out of boredom and hunger I made some more tots today.  I forgot to wring-out the potatoes and they turned out fine.

I left a bunch on the counter (after frying)  for a few hours and reheated in the airfryer for a few minutes.

Came out perfect...so they can be premade and finished at dinner time.

Which is nice.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I left a bunch on the counter (after frying)  for a few hours and reheated in the airfryer for a few minutes.

Came out perfect...so they can be premade and finished at dinner time.

That‘s intriguing. Now, if you could premake and freeze them …

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think its terrific 

that you've found a Culinary Hobby

that gives you a fine reward for your effort.

however , id suggest this :

are your efforts 

independently taste tested 

( double blind , pick from three , etc )

that much better than Fz , of various 

Stripes and Colours ?

possibly .

consider taking your efforts 

where no Fz Tot has been :

subtle , very slight 

"" Mix- Ins ""

Picograms would be good 

not to mis the point :  Potatoes , Cruchy , Crispy 

Delicious 

1 ) a tiny bit of exceptional quality Bacon ? w some fat

2 ) some snap , from an equally small bit of Green Chili , w heat ?

3 ) etc. ?

Ore-Ida  nor Tj's makse anything like that

nore does Stop&Shop

a Dutch Company

think Twice Baked Russet Potato

but more like a Tot

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...

Over in the Camping Princess Style topic, I encouraged Smithy to shallow fry her tots rather than bake them:

It did not go well for her:

As is likely to happen around here, many suggestions followed. Smithy even experienced success:

I can't track it down, but I'm sure there was discussion about how a good cook like Smithy could have such trouble with a mere tot. (Maybe that only occurred in our kitchen. And perhaps only with myself.)

Then this happened. To me us:

tots1.jpg

You can see the tots simply disintegrating. The result:

tots2.jpg

Look familiar?

But now I have an explanation. Sort of.

Once the lockdown took hold, peeps worried about paper goods and staples like flour.  Not in our house. We worried about tots. They became quite scarce. Our preferred brand, which is the store (Publix) brand was not to be had. So we switched to Ore-Ida. That led to the result you see above. Then the supply chain problems eased, and we could get Publix tots. As before, they cooked up just fine. Soon, however. the Supply-Chain Gods cracked down again. This time, no Publix, no Ore-Ida, either (but that was okay with us since they didn't work). We found a third brand, Lamb-Weston, whose offering is called "Super Crispy Tots." Or maybe the brand is Grown in Idaho. The packaging and marketing is confusing. Anyway, it doesn't matter, because, for us, these sucked, too. Then, when we were shopping the other day, there was one lonely bag of Pubix-brand TaterBites (their name). We snatched them up, and that night we fried and consumed perfect tots.  

I don't know who makes the Publix product*, but, for shallow frying, it is definitely different and definitely superior. And now I'm guessing, but I think Smithy switched brands between her disappointments and her success. Finally, at least here in Atlanta, tots remain scarce (and even now, they're blaming supply-chain issues). We've taken to stockpiling.

* I note that many grocery chains have store-brand product, and many of those are called "TaterBites." I don't know if they're related to what Publix sells, but I do know that Ore-Ida has trademarked the name "Tater Tots," and as far as I can tell neither "Tater Bites" nor "TaterBites" are likewise protected. You may or may not find this either interesting, or perhaps suspicious.

• Like 6

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I have not had a tater tot in years but it is a childhood memory. Don't think my son (31) ever had one. But I'll see what the stock is at market tomorrow. I don't think my stepmother has ever had one (92) but she is coming into town in May so maybe we will play around. She would love them properly crispy. she'd probably call them latke bites.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fascinating! At this remove I don't remember what brand of tots we were using at any given time, but I'll look for Taterbites or Tater Bites or even TaterBytes (sounds like a computing unit) next time I want to try them. Or maybe I'll try gfweb's version up topic, here. Regardless of which I try, I'll be sure to use the shallow-fry method you pointed out to me, with reinforcement from Toliver fans, a year ago in the posts you linked.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown