• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tim's Cascade Chips

Smarmotron

Eh, put me in the Tim's = molar breakers camp as well. And even worse, I dislike their wasabi chips. They taste of chemicals. I realize it's not economically feasible to use real wasabi to flavor them, but still...

Pat

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

Yeah, the "flavors," as with most brands of chips, are really unconvincing for me. Basically, they all just taste like MSG. I barely see a difference in flavors. Except maybe salt-and-vinegar, which are really like salt-and-acid and make me wonder how they got salt to be, like, 20 times saltier than salt.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I also am not a big fan of these natural, rustic chips because I find them too thick and hard. My one exception is, like JAZ, the Kettle Chips Salt and Pepper, which are so good I'm willing to overlook the thickness.

As an alternative to the salt/vinegar chips, I like Tim's dill pickle chips.

I, too, have found that they over season most of their chips but they're still tasty.

Concerning the chips 'toothsomeness' I kinda like 'em hard. I tend to nibble at them instead of inhaling them. :wink:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

I adore the Jalapeno chips and think they are about the best chip ever made. I dislike the Wasabi - I had one chip and tossed the bag. When I lived in CA during the 90s' I had family members MAIL me the chips every so often. I just had to get a fix.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got to ty the Wasabi chips and boy are they tasty! I hope they decide to keep them around for awhile.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Now that we've established some good varieties of Tim's chips, where's a good place to find them. I've never seen the habanero flavor, and when I went to my local (and admittedly crappy) QFC I couldn't even locate the salt and black pepper Kettle Chips.

Seen them anywhere lately?

Edited by chuck (log)

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

Now that we've established some good varieties of Tim's chips, where's a good place to find them.  I've never seen the habanero flavor, and when I went to my local (and admittedly crappy) QFC I couldn't even locate the salt and black pepper Kettle Chips.

When this whole discussion of Tims chips started i decided to call them to find out what all their flavors were....ever hopeful of course that maybe they had smokey bacon (they dont)...

Anyway...i dont remember what the full flavor line is but try giving them a call to find out what they have added and subtracted. They did mention that they have new flavors on special that they like to try out all the time....so who knows whats comming.

I think that Safeway and Fred Meyers have good selections of them...and DO try the maui onion in the lavender bag they are awesome!

Now that we've established some good varieties of Tim's chips, where's a good place to find them.  I've never seen the habanero flavor, and when I went to my local (and admittedly crappy) QFC I couldn't even locate the salt and black pepper Kettle Chips.

Cheapest place I've seen with the widest selection is Cash and Carry.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

• 1 month later...

Well....I just found out a guy I know is the Tims rep for the L.A. area.....and he just dropped off a case of different stuff for me to try....Woo Hoo!....and he told me about the new "Luau BBQ" that will be coming out soon to go with the Maui Onion and Hawaiian...oh yea baby!

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

Well....I just found out a guy I know is the Tims rep for the L.A. area.....and he just dropped off a case of different stuff for me to try....Woo Hoo!....and he told me about the new "Luau BBQ" that will be coming out soon to go with the Maui Onion and Hawaiian...oh yea baby!

WOW!!!! I am DYING to taste that one. Last week I found the 20 OZ bag of Maui Onion on sale and have been having a pig fest on it with every lunch. Hawaiian BBQ sounds AWESOME! Have you tasted them yet?

I am still crossing my fingers for smokey bacon flavour someday. Mmmmm

I have not had them yet, but I will get a "sample" to check out before they come out....Yea, that does sound like a great flavor....Smokey Bacon would work too!

You know.... i actually wrote them a letter telling them that smokey bacon flavour would be REALLY good. I do hope that they were at least considering it.

When you taste the new sample..PLEASE let us know what you think.

I LOVE good chips and new flavours! I look forward to hearing what you have to say. Yum!

• 3 weeks later...

I've never been much of one for flavored chips. I generally prefer nothing but good crisp potatoes and a little salt. But I tried the Tim's wasabi flavor recently and I really liked them. Not as hot as wasabi peas, but solidly flavorful.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

(off topic mention of Cheesy Poofs)

If you're into the occasional downscale, Hood's Jalapeno Korn Kurls (made by our friends at Tim's) offers a spicy, finger-soiling alternative to their potato chips.

I like 'em. ( :shock: )

OK then...THEY ARE HERE!!!

TIMs new Hawaiian Luau BBQ chips are WONDERFUL!!!

I was told that they were in some stores...but i decided to drive over to the factory this afternoon to get some. When i got there a man asked me if i had ever tasted them and i told him that i had not. He gave me a small bag to open....it was love at first bite.

At the factory you can only buy them by the case.... so i bought a case of the 3 oz bags that i am going split up with some equally chip crazy people.

They give you the wholesale price so if you know someone that wants chips too you can get a discount.

The flavor is sweet ....spicy...smokey and completely satisfying. I demolished a bag on the way home.

Yet ANOTHER great chip from Tims !!! If you try them i would love to know what you think. As far as i know...they should be in most stores by Monday....or call the factory to find out where they are.

Enjoy!!!

I am on my second bag as we speak......Hmmm...maybe i should keep that whole case.