• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tim's Cascade Chips

Smarmotron

Okay, I don't know the marketing regions of Tim's Cascade Chips, but I assume it's limited to the NW or maybe the West.

These things are great! I can't imagine ever eating another brand of chip. They're thick, flavorful, salty, and come in a great range. In fact, I even spotted Wasabi on the shelf today - and it didn't disappoint. My favorite has to be the sea salt and vinegar brand, though.

Anyone else adore these?

The Alder Smoke, Sour Cream and Onion and Parmesan and Garlic flavor are also very good. The Steakhouse and the Ketchup flavors were kind of odd, though.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

When I was in culinary school Tim's daughter was also in my classes. Wonderful young lady. Too bad I was about 20 years her senior. :angry:

One day she brought to class about 30 individual serving bags. All different types. She revealed that the most popular potato chip and the one that generates the most revenue for the business is one that is not available at the retail level.

It's cheeseburger flavored potato chips.

Their market: prisons.

:smile:

My favorite is the sea salt - vinegar as well.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Another bummer about being a PNW'er......spoiled on the chips!

When we do buy chips (not often) it's always Tim's. If we can't find Tim's, we don't buy

potato chips. One time Safeway had a sale on Tim's, and by the time we got there, they

were GONE. So we bought some Lay's. It was like eating an old stale chip. We didn't

even finish them.

I've actually enjoyed eating the "no salt" Tims. You can really enjoy the "potatoeyness"

when there's no salt.

The Alder Smoke, Sour Cream and Onion and Parmesan and Garlic flavor are also very good.  The Steakhouse and the Ketchup flavors were kind of odd, though.

I have one question about the alder smoke chips...they are so intense what kind of dip would you serve with them i have been looking for something really good to go with them and can't seem to find just the right one...any suggestions??

I have one question about the alder smoke chips...they are so intense what kind of dip would you serve with them i have been looking for something really good to go with them and can't seem to find just the right one...any suggestions??

The alder smoked chips were the one big disappointment I've had with Tim's. I'd tried some of the other flavors and liked them, and read a "tasters' panel" on barbecue chips in the San Francisco Chronicle that raved about Tim's alder smoked, so of course I tried them when I saw them.

I couldn't even finish the small bag I bought. They tasted as if someone had poured a bottle of Liquid Smoke over the chips -- acrid, bitter and nasty. I thought I might have gotten a bad bag (oversaturated with the flavoring or something) but I haven't been brave enough to try again.

I still really like Tim's Jalapeno and Salt and Vinegar, but when I want barbecue/smoked chips, I get Kettle brand Mesquite chips.

The alder smoked chips were the one big disappointment I've had with Tim's. I'd tried some of the other flavors and liked them, and read a "tasters' panel" on barbecue chips in the San Francisco Chronicle that raved about Tim's alder smoked, so of course I tried them when I saw them.

I couldn't even finish the small bag I bought. They tasted as if someone had poured a bottle of Liquid Smoke over the chips -- acrid, bitter and nasty. I thought I might have gotten a bad bag (oversaturated with the flavoring or something) but I haven't been brave enough to try again.

I still really like Tim's Jalapeno and Salt and Vinegar, but when I want barbecue/smoked chips, I get Kettle brand Mesquite chips.

You know...that was my thoughts exactly...there is way too much seasoning on the chips so i thought that if i ate them with a dip that would tone down the flavor of them somewhat. I wish they were less saturated because i love the general taste of wood smoke.

What would be really good is if they would make a smoky bacon flavor...like they do in England. Those are great chips.

Now...if we could only get our hands on the cheeseburger chips....but i guess they dont sell them retail. Now THAT would be SOOO good!

Hmm, I'm trying to think what would make a good foil to smoke and the only thing I can think of would be a dip made with a base of lactic acid: sour cream, yogurt... Salmon is typically smoked with alderwood so maybe a sour cream/yogurt-based dip laced with some nonsmoked salmon.

Then again, what does one usually have with smoked foods? Beer. Maybe a good pilsner or a Belgium ale to go with them?

BTW, the cheapest price I've seen for Tim's chips is at Cash and Carry. They have a box of 24 individual-sized servings for about $11.00 (if memory serves me correctly). Anyone else have an economical source for this habit?

Idet for speling.

Edited by Really Nice! (log)

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

I'll have to seek out the Wasabi chips. I wish Tim's web page was more up to date and listed all their discontinued or "Limited Edition" chips. I seem to remember a NY Hot Dog flavored chip.

I good alternative to Tim's is Kettle Chips, especially the Mesquite Salsa chip.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

but why oh why did they discontinue the Mountain Ridge chips?!?! They were my favorites...

What flavor did the Mountain Ridge chips impart?

Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

- Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910

Sorry for the dissenting opinion. Those chips are too hard!

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Sorry for the dissenting opinion.  Those chips are too hard!

Another dissenting opinion, here, but for a different reason. Every single package of Tim's I have ever bought has had a slightly off flavor as if of rancid oil. I kept hearing raves about them, and kept thinking I must have just had bad luck, but as the count grew towards a couple dozen, I finally gave up. Maybe it's just me. :huh:

My objection to the Kettle chips is that the packages are almost physically impossible to open -- at least without crushing the contents!

Another dissenting opinion, here, but for a different reason. Every single  package of Tim's I have ever bought has had a slightly off flavor as if of rancid oil.

Weird, that's the same thing I experience with Kettle Chips! I used to love them but now, if someone opens a bag near me, the only thing I can smell is rancid oil.

Now Tim's Sea Salt and Vinegar, that's another story..... I can suck on those all day (yes I know it's weird, but I actually do put them on my tongue until all the salty vinegar is gone)!

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Sorry for the dissenting opinion.  Those chips are too hard!

Another dissenting opinion, here, but for a different reason. Every single package of Tim's I have ever bought has had a slightly off flavor as if of rancid oil. I kept hearing raves about them, and kept thinking I must have just had bad luck, but as the count grew towards a couple dozen, I finally gave up. Maybe it's just me. :huh:

My objection to the Kettle chips is that the packages are almost physically impossible to open -- at least without crushing the contents!

I agree that quality control is not the best with Tim's -- or it used not to be. Aside from the alder smoked package, although I haven't had any that tasted rancid, I've occasionally had packages that seemed stale, and in those, the chips do get unpleasantly hard. It does seem that this happens less often now than a couple of years ago.

And as for the Kettle Chip packaging, they finally saw the light. Now the packages are scored at the top so you can open them without resorting to scissors. And, not to hijack the Tim's thread, I have to say that my current favorite chip is the Kettle crinkle cut salt and black pepper (which also, if you read the ingredients, contains garlic powder and cayenne).

Hmm, I'm trying to think what would make a good foil to smoke and the only thing I can think of would be a dip made with a base of lactic acid: sour cream, yogurt... Salmon is typically smoked with alderwood so maybe a sour cream/yogurt-based dip laced with some nonsmoked salmon.

Then again, what does one usually have with smoked foods? Beer. Maybe a good pilsner or a Belgium ale to go with them?

BTW, the cheapest price I've seen for Tim's chips is at Cash and Carry. They have a box of 24 individual-sized servings for about $11.00 (if memory serves me correctly). Anyone else have an economical source for this habit?

After i read about the cheeseburger chips i got really keen on the idea about findng out about them. So...I called Tims this morning and talked to them. The receptionist told me she had not heard of them...which was what i expected...so i dropped the subject for now. She did tell me that every 4 months they come out with what they call limited editions..to see how they sell...and if they do...they are added to the line full time. Apparently the wasabi is so sucessful that they will become part of the line. I mentioned that i loved the smokey bacon flavor that you can get on chips in England and she said she would pass that along to the flavor guys. At the current time she said they have no meat flavored chips and that the steak and onion was not that popular so its been discontinued.

Too bad...i would have liked to have tasted them.

Anyway....thats the lowdown on the cheeseburger chips. Too bad... I am sure they would be fabulous. I guess they dont want anyone to know they make them...perhaps even the receptionsit does not even know of them.

As far as which dip for the alder smoke chips....i think you are right...most likely a sour cream based dip. I bought some sour cream and some onion mix for it...and i have some smoked salmon i will try as well. I am going to be experimenting to see what works best.

Also...one more thing....when i was in safeway this afternoon asking if they had the smaller bags of Tims...the stock clerk told me no....BUT!!! If there were any flavors that i wanted to taste before i bought them she would be happy to open some bags. WOW! How great is that!!!

So... I took her up on it and she opened the dill and the wasabi for me....

both were very good. BUT... it was the maui onion that i was blown away by! They are ...to me...some of the best chips i ever had. Just FABULOUS!

I got a bag of those and bought another bag of the alder smoke to test out some dips. I will keep you posted on what i come up with. I do think the smoked salmon might be a winner....good suggestion Really Nice...i would have never thought of it.

sounds yummy.

Yea, the Maui Sweet Onion chips are amazingly good!

Fortunately, their high sat fat content keeps me from eating them much. :)

I dont really like the Alder bbq or smoke chips.

BUT... it was the maui onion that i was blown away by!  They are ...to me...some of the best chips i ever had.  Just FABULOUS!

Edited by BastilaShan (log)