• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thanksgiving's Day Traditions

lovebenton0

Okay, that got the old taste buds going.  Until we moved to Iowa, lobster was always on the menu on Thanksgiving.  Hubby stopped at the Santa Monica Pier on the way home from work.  He picked out the baddest, biggest critter in the tank and had it cooked.  Never should have let the kids join us at the table.  They loved the stuff too and it became pretty expensive to feed us all.  Of course we thought we were ultra classy because we drank the newly discovered, to us, Cold Duck.  I have yet to taste a Maine lobster but it is on my "must eat" list.  

I love the idea of a family starting their own traditions and not being hide-bound to the turkey, stuffing, cranberry menus.  It is easier if you grew up in a family where food was just fuel rather than edible art form for the tummy.  No traditions to break, just new ones that are all yours.  Happy Eating Friends.

• Like 1

Not a tradition anymore, but my father's secret to a moist turkey was putting a cloth diaper over the bird and basting frequently until it was time to brown the skin.  No, he didn't use new ones but it was quite a few years before he used up the baby supplies. But goose for Christmas and lobster for New Years.

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Posted 15 November 2014 - 10:04 AM

JohnT, on 14 Nov 2014 - 1:05 PM, said:snapback.png

I live in the southern tip of Africa and we do not have a Thanksgiving day. However, I do know the reason for the Thanksgiving celebration, but have no idea why, in North America, the traditional meal is a turkey. Can anybody enlighten me? Sorry if the question is a bit off topic.

John.

Turkey is native to the Americas.

Sorry to keep off-topic, but I was just reading Three Squares by Abigail Carroll.  She says that the American Thanksgiving meal was designed specifically to appeal to American patriotism.  According to her thesis, at that time in the 19th century, American dinners were very French influenced, and that the new holidayThanksgiving dinner aimed to emphasize native products cooked and served old school homestyle.  

• Like 1

well, after buyer's remorse for picking up 2 pies (apple and blueberry crumb) for what is now going to be dinner for 6...tradition for my family seems to be an excess of desserts.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Five deer, oysters and other assorted fowl and seafood at the original Plymouth Thanksgiving in October 1621 I believe, which involved the 100 surviving English colonists led by Edward Winslow, plus king Massasoit and his followers, and 3 days of feasting.

I like the challenge of trying to make roast turkey good (and it is possible)… but it's so about the stuffing (pork sausage, bread,  onions, celery, sage, thyme, butter, paprika, apples and chicken stock), the gravy, cranberries, squash, beans, multiple fruit pies and the other goodness of the New England land.

I'm so full right now and this is still my favorite meal of the year. Pictures in the Thanksgiving 2014 thread.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Almost time for Thanksgiving talk again.  And I've been thinking about this subject for a while.  The question so often arises as to why some folks are dead set against any kind of major fiddling with their traditional menu, whatever it is. 

And I think that, unlike so many other holidays, the entire point of Thanksgiving is about the food.  In our house, we celebrate Christmas.  Traditionally, we have a festive meal to celebrate.  But the point of Christmas is not the meal.  We can have anything that seems festive and appropriate and celebratory - rack of lamb, prime rib, goose, turkey - anything goes and nobody complains so long as it's really good.

And Easter.  Traditionally, we have a festive meal to celebrate.  But the point of Easter is not the meal.  We can have anything that seems festive and appropriate and celebratory - lamb, ham, deviled eggs, fresh spring peas - anything goes and nobody complains so long as it's really good.

And July Fourth.  Traditionally, we have a festive meal to celebrate.  But the point of July Fourth is not the meal.  We can have anything that seems festive and appropriate and celebratory - barbecue brisket, ribs, potato salad, baked beans, apple pie, strawberry shortcake - anything goes and nobody complains so long as it's really good.

But Thanksgiving is about the meal.  So, in my family anyway, I can change up the menu somewhat, but I had darn sure also better include the things that, to them, mean Thanksgiving, and always have:  turkey, cornbread dressing, giblet gravy, cranberry sauce, green beans, candied yams, Waldorf salad, homemade rolls, relish tray, pumpkin pie, pecan pie.  That's not "Thanksgiving" to everybody, of course.  Maybe yours is lasagna and macaroni and Sunday gravy.  But that's Thanksgiving to us.  And woe to me if I try to spring something "weird" on them. . 

The only other holidays I can think of where the menu actually is about more than just a way to celebrate and nourish ourselves when we get together are the shank bone, bitter herbs, hard-boiled egg, etc., of the Passover Seder.  And the oil at Hannukah. 

Now, I certainly don't mean to imply that turkey and dressing carries anywhere nearly so much historical and religious significance as these two sacred Jewish meals (I know it doesn't), but they're the only other holidays I can think of where the food carries more importance than just something to eat while we all gather to celebrate something else.

I think that's why changing up the Thanksgiving meal menu engenders such strong emotions with so many people.  Because, in their view, you're not just messing with the food - you're messing with the holiday itself.

Edited by Jaymes (log)
  • Like 6

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

The two times of the year I have traditionally enjoyed a large meal centered around a turkey are Thanksgiving and Christmas - but the heart of that is that I am more Canadian than American. Canadian Thanksgiving being so much more removed from Christmas is most likely the reason I think, even these days, more Canadians probably enjoy turkey on both days.

Somehow something is missing from my life when I miss one or the other or both - and I feel bereft of turkey till the following year or event day that warrants its service. Not only is that the time of year for me TO serve turkey, but it is the only of year I DO serve turkey for some reason.

However when I serve either meal, while I have sometimes thought it would be nice to vary it, I have never been able to bring myself to do so - unlike people I know in the US. My sister in law used to serve something different (from fish, to lobster, to lamb, to roast beef) every time we went to visit on any holiday that, for me, would have always included turkey. In fact, I don't recall her ever serving a turkey for either American Thanksgiving or Christmas. I know she likes turkey so I am not sure why that is.

That being said, it has always seemed to me that, in the states, for many families, the Thanksgiving holiday is more of a homecoming than even Christmas is so I can see why it may be more of a problem to change that menu - it is symbolic of possibly the largest family gathering of the year. Thanksgiving isn't really as much of a large 'family' gathering in Canada - or at least it never was for me or my friends' families - Christmas had that honour up there.

But is American Thanksgiving otherwise only food centered? It always seemed to me that the day itself down here was also as centered around football as it was the turkey. :)

Edited by Deryn (log)
  • Like 2

I'm not comfortable generalizing, I see all sorts of situations among friends and family....not my business really....to each his/her own.

Anyway, in my immediate family, Christmas is the big family gathering holiday of the year. Food is just as big a part of Christmas as it is Thanksgiving or Easter.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

One reason that turkey is so popular for the Thanksgiving meal is that large groups tend to get together to eat at this holiday. It's the cheapest way to feed a crowd protein that I know of when many stores are running specials as their loss leader at the holidays. I can't even find turkey around here outside that time unless I go way out of my way and pay much more. When you are feeding family, especially if the hosting responsibilities rotate from household to household, some consider it bad form for the more prosperous member of the clan to have lobster or prime rib, knowing that the less fortunate member who hosts next year can't afford to feed the crowd that way. Personally I think this is dumb, but just sayin'.

I actually learned to like turkey after learning how to turn out a moist, tender delicious one. Thank you Reynolds oven bags and whoever invented the turkey fryer. Turkey fryers also keeps the emergency rooms in black ink, so what's not to like?  :laugh: I love fried turkey, but I'm way askeerd of the fryer.

Many people only eat turkey one or two times a year, so they look forward to it. It makes absolutely no sense to cook even a small turkey for a small household. A capon now feeds my holiday crew and we still have leftovers, but they are reasonable. Cooked turkey freezes okay for a short time, but how much turkey divan, turkey tetrazzini, sandwiches, and so on can two people eat before getting sick of it. I have wasted my share of freezer burnt turkey on the coons even after feeding my dwindling family and sending leftovers home with them.

I'm lucky in that since my family has become so very small and most are adventurous eaters, and my husband is just as happy with a well-turned chili dog as an expensive paella I spent many hours on, I can serve whatever I please for holidays now. I understand the attachment to turkey, but am thankful I need no longer adhere to it.

• Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

I think that's why changing up the Thanksgiving meal menu engenders such strong emotions with so many people.  Because, in their view, you're not just messing with the food - you're messing with the holiday itself.

Amen, Jaymes!

In recent years, my oldest brother brought kicked-up-a-notch versions of stuffing and gravy along with his smoked turkey. This year he's informed me that he's bored by his sides and wants to try something new. I told him have it, as long as he continues to bring his stuffing and his gravy. :raz:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  :wink:

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I'm not comfortable generalizing, I see all sorts of situations among friends and family....not my business really....to each his/her own.

Anyway, in my immediate family, Christmas is the big family gathering holiday of the year. Food is just as big a part of Christmas as it is Thanksgiving or Easter.

Do I really need to explain that I understand not every single thing applies to every single person?

But it's a fact (you and your family and many others notwithstanding) that there is something about Thanksgiving that causes a great many Americans (although not you and your family and many others) that are normally adventuresome and inventive and non-traditional eaters, to get really upset if "their" traditional Thanksgiving dinner isn't on the table. 

I recall once when we were living out of the US (far out of the US, on the other side of the world), we were invited over to the home of some American friends for Thanksgiving.  Among other dishes that were traditional for them, there was what looked exactly like canned jellied cranberry sauce, complete with the ridges.  I knew that wasn't available in the local markets and asked if it had been sent to them by family from back home.  "Oh no," they said. "We thought about it but it was so expensive.  So we worked really hard to recreate it, ridges and all." 

There must be something about tradition and Thanksgiving and that dinner, whatever it is for each individual family, that carries more importance than meals at other holidays.

I've been trying to think about what that importance could be.

If you'd like, I'll be happy to say that I know my conclusion is a generality.

And it certainly doesn't apply to everyone.

There.  Better?

• Like 3

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

The Thanksgiving meal is definitely one I take personally. That's why I persist in making a full-on feast for a household of three - we could go to a restaurant, or order in, or eat something more appropriate to 90-degree days. But it wouldn't be my Thanksgiving, with my dad's stuffing recipe, and cranberry-orange relish the way my mom and I used to make it (with a hand-cranked meat grinder back in the day - I've since decided to allow myself the use of a Cuisinart). So I roast the turkey and make the sides and dessert (must be pumpkin pie from the recipe on the label of the Libby's pumpkin can.) My concession to the weather is to spend the afternoon soaking in the pool instead of trying to play football in the backyard.

• Like 4

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch

Thanksgiving has no religious component and no gift-giving component, which leaves the food front and center as the main attraction.

As a first generation American, my family clung to its traditional foods for Christmas, Easter and other family get-togethers.  But they embraced the Turkey dinner for Thanksgiving.  I have heard this same story from other immigrants, no matter their country of origin.

• Like 3

Thanksgiving has no religious component and no gift-giving component, which leaves the food front and center as the main attraction.

As a first generation American, my family clung to its traditional foods for Christmas, Easter and other family get-togethers.  But they embraced the Turkey dinner for Thanksgiving.  I have heard this same story from other immigrants, no matter their country of origin.

And also, Thanksgiving is a celebration of the food, and about the food, and the fact that the first pilgrims had a good harvest and had enough food to be able to eat well and then store enough food to make it through the winter.  The food and the meal itself is the reason for the celebration.

I don't know.  All speculation on my part.  But that traditional meal is so sacrosanct for so many folks, couldn't help but ponder why.

• Like 2

Put me down in the traditionalist camp for Thanksgiving. It's the one time a year I cook a turkey. (I will make chicken and dressing throughout the year, but a turkey is limited to Thanksgiving. Sometimes he's fried, sometimes he's roasted, sometimes he's smoked, but there will be turkey and the traditional sides -- green beans, sweet potato casserole, cranberry salad, dressing, homemade rolls. A few others may rotate in and out, and desserts are interchangeable (It's been cheesecake the last few years).

Why? I have no idea. I've run the gamut for Christmas, from beef tenderloin to brunch to cocktail buffet to lasagna to a shrimp boil. Easter tends to be more menu-specific -- ham, green peas, potato salad, asparagus, deviled eggs. Fourth of July, Memorial Day, Labor Day, something on the grill. But unless it's just me by myself for Thanksgiving, I'm going to cook the full monty. Because I love it.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Growing up Thanksgiving meant a huge meal with all the usuals - turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, pies, etc. It never really meant that much to me - perhaps because by the time I was a teenager, as the youngest in a large family,I was put in charge of the 'kid's table' out in the hall, keeping various nieces and nephews under control. Soon after I married I took over cooking Thanksgiving dinner for my husband's family (which let us go to my parents' for Christmas without guilt.). I replicated the meal I grew up on. Fast forward about 20 years and my husband's family is dispersed.  My husband, daughter and I look at each other and all admit that we really don't care for turkey all that much.  Since then the only time I cook turkey is when I smoke one for our summer or fall parties. Thanksgiving usually means duck now. But sometimes other things - always festive, at least to us. This year we will be with our daughter at her place and I have no idea what we'll eat. But it will be good. 

My mother often claimed that her favorite holiday was Bastille Day - because it was the only holiday that she didn't spend days cooking. She set off firecrackers in the back yard and made Dad take her out to dinner. 

• Like 3

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

The Thanksgiving meal is definitely one I take personally. That's why I persist in making a full-on feast for a household of three - we could go to a restaurant, or order in, or eat something more appropriate to 90-degree days. But it wouldn't be my Thanksgiving, with my dad's stuffing recipe, and cranberry-orange relish the way my mom and I used to make it (with a hand-cranked meat grinder back in the day - I've since decided to allow myself the use of a Cuisinart). So I roast the turkey and make the sides and dessert (must be pumpkin pie from the recipe on the label of the Libby's pumpkin can.) My concession to the weather is to spend the afternoon soaking in the pool instead of trying to play football in the backyard.

Don't you miss the popping sound of cranberries going through the meat grinder?  :raz:

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

• 1 month later...

And also, Thanksgiving is a celebration of the food, and about the food, and the fact that the first pilgrims had a good harvest and had enough food to be able to eat well and then store enough food to make it through the winter.  The food and the meal itself is the reason for the celebration.

I don't know.  All speculation on my part.  But that traditional meal is so sacrosanct for so many folks, couldn't help but ponder why.

Well, the folks who were here first in "America" have a different view.

http://www.truth-out.org/opinion/item/33781-no-thanks-how-thanksgiving-narratives-erase-the-genocide-of-native-peoples

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/11/26/thanksgiving-not-popular-all-americans-especially-original-inhabitants/76417336/

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/opinion/2015/11/26/american-indians-view-thanksgiving-day/76420214/

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/2014/11/26/national-day-mourning-reflects-thanksgiving-horrific-bloody-history/I4gK8GwU9r2JtJnpyjGWhM/story.html

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 1

I played the 1969 movie "Alice's Restaurant" on my computer while we ate Thanksgiving dinner. Later, my brother asked me to find the song on YouTube.

PBS was airing a 50-year anniversay of "Alice's Restaurant" concert, but I chose not watch it. I didn't want to see Arlo again at his advanced age because I thought it would be a bummer, and just remind everyone how old we all were.

> ^ . . ^ <

• 10 months later...

Folks I think it's that time of year.  Before we know it, we'll be scrambling to write down our shopping list for Thanksgiving dinner.  So what traditions are you continuing with this year--and are you introducing any new menu items?

Last year I tried a pumpkin roll rather than pie and it was a good first try.  But this year I think I'll add some candied ginger and come up with some sort of sauce of fruit compote to serve with it.

I also tested, and failed, a gargantuan stuffed turkey roulade.  My butchery skills left something to be desired, and tieing the turkey into a roast ended with something that sure didn't look like a turkey roulade.  But the flavor and idea was spot-on.  It was the start of something and I'll work on it again this year.

What say you?