• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

repairing a bland chili

hollis

Whatever you do, DON'T just dump a bunch of raw chili powder into it. Then you'll have, well, gritty, slightly-less-bland chili.

If you do add any kind of chili powder (or powdered chilies), dry toast it first to develop the flavor; then add it as if you were tempering custard: add some of the liquid from the chili to the toasted powder, blend thoroughly, then add that back to the pot of chili.

Or you can pour in a favorite hot sauce, spoonful by spoonful, stirring well and tasting after each addition. What kind you add depends on what you've got (:rolleyes:), what's already in the chili, and what flavor you want to add (not just heat). I rather like Tabasco Chipotle for something like this, but it's really up to you.

Ooops, forgot to ask in the first place: what DID you already put into it?

Edited by Suzanne F (log)

Kind of hard to answer without knowing what is already in there. It could be that you have enough flavorings but not enough salt. Or perhaps there aren't enough flavors. Chili powder, or some variety like ancho, pasilla, chipotle, and cumin are a nice way to add some easy flavor.

An utterly lazy way is to add a jar of tasty spicy salsa. I do it all the time. It's heresy, but it's fast!

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

If you spiced it already but it does not have a bite then add Salt. Salt will help develop the heat in most cases. The vinegar idea is also quite valid.

If this does not help and you want quick heat. Add about 4 drops of Dave's Insanity Sauce

Just a few drops if you don't want to melt your pan :laugh:

Never trust a skinny chef

Hungarian paprika from a good spice shop will help pick it up.

You can also add a blend of good peppers and some hot onions. Take your chilli pot, or a bowl full at a time in a skillet, cook the onions down with some good paprika and other peppers as required, then add you bland chilli and heat through out for a while to mix the flavors.

Oven-roast dried chilis, add a little garlic, cumin, paprika. Or a little dark beer, brown sugar or cocoa. Maybe top the finished product with some cooked bacon, fresh chilies, onions, and cheese.

Bode

The chili is a good texture, but has next-to-no-taste. I don't think it is just a matter of making it hotter (though that would help). It is a flavor issue--how much vinegar and what kind?

We are taking care of it this evening! For next time though, does anyone know where we should look for a totally killer chili recipe????

P.S. I also like the rotel idea.

i made the blandest pot of chili ever.  any ideas of what i can to to add some flavor/spice to it?

I suppose we should start with what made it bland?

What kind of meat did you use?

Is it ground or diced?

Did you dredge the beef in flour and saute it first or did you just throw it in the pot?

Did you use water, canned broth or homemade beef stock?

What seasonings did you add and when?

Did you boil or simmer the chili?

How long did you let it cook?

Did you use a crockpot or stovetop and finish in a slow oven?

Did you let the finished chili sit a day or two in the refrigerator before judgement?

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Add a couple of squares of bittersweet chocolate. Throw in some a can of chipotle chiles with adobo.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

The chili is a good texture, but has next-to-no-taste.  I don't think it is just a matter of making it hotter (though that would help).  It is a flavor issue--how much vinegar and what kind? 

We are taking care of it this evening!  For next time though, does anyone know where we should look for a totally killer chili recipe????

P.S.  I also like the rotel idea.

Look HERE for some chili recipes.

Edited by mnebergall (log)